Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Were in in spain finally!!!!

Were in in spain finally!!!!

Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:05 pm
mr cid

cidshock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Were in in spain finally!!!!

Well after a year of prepation, talking to every one on here and getting advice and making a few trips, many trips back and forth with various offices ie solicitors, Notary etc. we are finally on our way to our new home in La Alfoquira in Ameria. I would just like to thank every one for their advice which has resulted in a move to another country easier than would have been expected.

If any one else would like advice, give us a shout.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:38 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Were in in spain finally!!!!

Originally Posted by cidshock
Well after a year of prepation, talking to every one on here and getting advice and making a few trips, many trips back and forth with various offices ie solicitors, Notary etc. we are finally on our way to our new home in La Alfoquira in Ameria. I would just like to thank every one for their advice which has resulted in a move to another country easier than would have been expected.

Cidshock,

I`m just replying to wish you all the best in your new life, and glad it all went smooth for you. Enjoy the sun and sangria etc and I hope it all works out well for you. Its my turn in December, so no doubt I will be asking for advice.

Sam
Old Jun 29th 2005, 8:45 pm
mr cid

Any time Sam, it has certainly been a rollercoaster ride.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.
Please keep us up to date with developments as you evolve into your new life.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Hi there, congratulations....and all the best wishes for a healthy happy new life. We are hoping to be over by next Feb, sooner if things go well this end.
Mary
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:06 pm
mr cid

Will certainly do that, best of luck to you all.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:19 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cidshock,

O.k, Heres my first question. I know theres a thread about it some where on the forum, but I am interested in an updated answer. How have you moved over there? Have you hired a van or got a removal company to do it all for you? I quite fancy the drive through Spain, but my husband wants to fly. We also have just got another dog so we have him to think about too.

Sam
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:41 am
mr cid

Hi, first of all we decided to take our belongings over on our own we hired a Luton with a tail lift, there are only a few companies that will let you drive abroad., not many though.

the cost of hire and driving cost us around 800 pounds that included tolls and diesel. the secret is to take only what you need, or can get buy with we had to dump a few things as we could not get them on the van, but furniture is cheap over here compared to the UK.
Forget most of your white goods aslo.
As for the dog im not sure what is envoled in transporting a dog with you in the van but i do know some freiends of ours flew their Old English and it cost 400 pounds.

Hope this helps, sorry to a bit vague.

Simon and Sarah
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:57 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Re flying with animals. I flew to Spain with my two cats and border collie and later to the US, just with the two cats, as the collie had cancer and died in Spain.

Anyway, I used British Airways. I'd complied with the pet passport scheme and had the rabies jabs, microchips and export licence. They did ask for all of this at BA check in, so make sure your paperwork is in order.

The cost was low and they were on the same flight as me. I was only charged an excess luggage fee which in total worked out to around 150 pounds.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:59 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Any time Sam, it has certainly been a rollercoaster ride.
Congratulations, Am sure that you will never find a dull moment in Spain, you may suffer a few frustrations with the relaxed "manana" attitude, but once you have got used to it, everything does get done EVENTUALLY, then you will love being here, ENJOY!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

A good option for bringing dogs or cats is the ferry to Santander (Britanny Ferries).

They have a dog deck and you can book a small or large kennel. Small kennels are just that. For a medium dog upward book large.

You have access to the deck throughout the crossing and can walk the dog as well within the confines of the dog deck.

For driving across, this will very on the animal but our dog was perfect. The cat didn't do any bowel movements for three days :scared:

Many people have driven over and not had a problem with their dogs, just depends on how your animals are used to travelling.

You will have to comply with the pet export regulations (now Pet Passport scheme) and ensure your paperwork is bang on at the UK side but probably not get any animal paperwork checked on arrival in Spain.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:22 pm
mr cid

[that was pretty cheap!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:59 am
Just Joined

cumtuppence is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, first of all we decided to take our belongings over on our own we hired a Luton with a tail lift, there are only a few companies that will let you drive abroad., not many though.

the cost of hire and driving cost us around 800 pounds that included tolls and diesel. the secret is to take only what you need, or can get buy with we had to dump a few things as we could not get them on the van, but furniture is cheap over here compared to the UK.
Forget most of your white goods aslo.
As for the dog im not sure what is envoled in transporting a dog with you in the van but i do know some freiends of ours flew their Old English and it cost 400 pounds.

Hope this helps, sorry to a bit vague.

Simon and Sarah
Wa are hopefully moving to Spain in Oct. Where did you hire your luton from and how did you return it?
All the best for a great life, I hope we make it this time around.