Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

We're going home!

We're going home!

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're going home!

We booked our flights back home to Australia! I'm so excited! I can't wait to see our family and friends! I will be sad to say goodbye to Spain but we are so homesick now.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're going home!

I hope you'll be very happy.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it's not altogether unexpected - you did seem very impulsive - right from your decision to come to spain, to deciding within a couple of days that seville wasn't for you and moving on to the next place that you really fell for.

Still you've tried it, you followed your dream and I hope the next stage works out for you.

(I'm assuming from "say goodbye to spain" that you're talking about going home for good, not just a visit?)

Last edited by rachelk; Feb 2nd 2010 at 4:34 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it's not altogether unexpected - you did seem very impulsive - right from your decision to come to spain, to deciding within a couple of days that seville wasn't for you and moving on to the next place that you really fell for.
Agree, fairly predictable. (assuming the same as you!) Not sure what it is, but seen it happen so many times, you get a sort of feeling for who will stay and who will go. Got another one down to go, but might have to wait a while for them!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:47 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everything goes well for your new venture.

Are we going to run a book on who's next?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd say that with just a few winter months spent here you really should stay and see it at its best! Your homesickness might vanish once spring arrives.

But at least make sure you see Carnival in Cadiz before you go.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

I hope you'll be very happy.

Still you've tried it, you followed your dream and I hope the next stage works out for you.

(I'm assuming from "say goodbye to spain" that you're talking about going home for good, not just a visit?)
I do?? Why is that? The reason why is is 'unexpected' is because 1: We only planned on living in the UK for 12 months, which we did. Then instead of going straight home to Australia we decided we would like to spend a few months in another culture, we chose Spain. No Seville wasn't what we were after and you only find that out about a place when you get there. We fell in love with Conil and only ever planned on living here for 3-5 months, our lease here is 4 and a half months. We have followed our dream, it was an adventure, we never planned on being away forever, only a year and by the time we go home it will be almost 18 months since we left. I just wanted to share my excitement that is all.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Personally I'd say that with just a few winter months spent here you really should stay and see it at its best! Your homesickness might vanish once spring arrives.

But at least make sure you see Carnival in Cadiz before you go.

It's not just homesickness that is sending us back, our lease runs out in March and we have a house and whole life to take care of back in Australia, we never planned on staying here longer than 5 months. We will hopefully come back again one day, after we have kids. We're at a time in our lives right now that we want to share with family and friends.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aussie30
I just wanted to share my excitement that is all.
And I'm pleased and excited for you, honestly.

But make sure you don't miss Carnaval.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

And I'm pleased and excited for you, honestly.

But make sure you don't miss Carnaval.
Thanks, not sure why the personal attack then, but anyway, thanks. When is Carnaval?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just homesickness that is sending us back, our lease runs out in March and we have a house and whole life to take care of back in Australia, we never planned on staying here longer than 5 months. We will hopefully come back again one day, after we have kids. We're at a time in our lives right now that we want to share with family and friends.
Well it seems you have sctratched your little itch to come to Spain, and now that it is scratched, move on,

Have a good trip back and have a Vegimite sandwich for me.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, not sure why the personal attack then, but anyway, thanks. When is Carnaval?
It wasn't meant as a personal attack, and I'm sorry you took it that way. It was just an observation, that's all.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JLFS
Well it seems you have sctratched your little itch to come to Spain, and now that it is scratched, move on,

Have a good trip back and have a Vegimite sandwich for me.
Thanks, we also can't possibly afford to live here long term at the moment, I need to go back home and start working again! It has been lovely though and we're so glad we did it. We just really can't wait to see our family and friends though, Australia is very far away and we have a very close family plus my best friend has a debilitiating disease so 18 months is a very long time for us to have been away.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

It wasn't meant as a personal attack, and I'm sorry you took it that way. It was just an observation, that's all.
I still don't really understand where this 'observation' actually came from though? Since I joined this forum I have always said that we were just over here for a few months before we head back to Australia, we were never here to 'set up home' or anything. We own a house back in Australia which is being looked after by a family member, with our cats and all of our possessions in it, plus my husband works for an Australian company and needs to go back to work on new deadlines. I don't see how that is impulsive as we have just done what we planned to do and now we have to go home?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:35 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't really understand where this 'observation' actually came from though? Since I joined this forum I have always said that we were just over here for a few months before we head back to Australia, we were never here to 'set up home' or anything. We own a house back in Australia which is being looked after by a family member, with our cats and all of our possessions in it, plus my husband works for an Australian company and needs to go back to work on new deadlines. I don't see how that is impulsive as we have just done what we planned to do and now we have to go home?
You made it perfectly clear from your first posts that you were only in Spain for a few months. I can feel your excitement at returning home from here It will be great to be back with family and friends, and what a lot you will have to tell them Well done to you both for doing what you wanted i.e. travelling and experiencing different cultures before settling down and starting a family. Enjoy life, have fun and safe journey home
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lionda
You made it perfectly clear from your first posts that you were only in Spain for a few months. I can feel your excitement at returning home from here It will be great to be back with family and friends, and what a lot you will have to tell them Well done to you both for doing what you wanted i.e. travelling and experiencing different cultures before settling down and starting a family. Enjoy life, have fun and safe journey home
Thank you so much! I am so excited, and haven't stopped smiling since we booked our flights last night! Our family and friends are so happy that we are actually coming back, my best friend burst into tears when I told her and said 'Is this for real? You're really coming home?' We are really lucky to both have British passports so we can come back again and plan on living in the UK again one day, like I said, after we have kids. The good thing about being here for only a few months is that we have really been making the most of it and even though my husband has been working we have treated it like an extended holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.