Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Welcome to Spain

Welcome to Spain

Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welcome to Spain

Originally Posted by cricketman
Never felt it myself. People around Málaga were very friendly and welcoming, and in Asturias even more so.

Not so much in Barcelona, but it is a big city. It was certainly more welcoming than London!

If you go around speaking English all the time then maybe so. I've spoken to many Andalucians who are bewildered why the British decide to live in Spain but refuse to do anything Spanish, but away from the Costas, Spaniards really dont know much about British people at all
FFS stop bringing out the old "I speak spanish" crap. You aren't the only Brit to speak the language. Why would I speak english to a spaniard
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
FFS stop bringing out the old "I speak spanish" crap. You aren't the only Brit to speak the language. Why would I speak english to a spaniard
I was using the third person "you"

The Spaniards I spoke to in Andalucia had never come across a British person who spoke Spanish. Many different people told me and they used to ask me why

I replied that it is because they are ignorant ego-maniacs

The few British people up here of course do speak Spanish, or at least that is what an someone at tennis told me, I've never met one
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:49 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Never felt it myself. People around Málaga were very friendly and welcoming, and in Asturias even more so.

Not so much in Barcelona, but it is a big city. It was certainly more welcoming than London!

If you go around speaking English all the time then maybe so. I've spoken to many Andalucians who are bewildered why the British decide to live in Spain but refuse to do anything Spanish, but away from the Costas, Spaniards really dont know much about British people at all
You're too right about that - too many Brits expect Spain to be Britain with sunshine (or Germans expecting it to be Germany with sunshine, or Swedes... or Dutch...) - and obviously it's not. Of course, Britain isn't Germany and Italy isn't Russia, either, but I digress.

Maybe you're right - anyone who speaks English (or doesn't speak Spanish) deserves to be treated unfairly. Unfortunately, that idea isn't yet well embraced in the rest of the world, which is only further testament how backward the rest of the world is.

Still, if you are amongst those Brits or Germans or Swedes (or whomever...) who believe that where you now live is perfect, whilst whinging incessantly about how terrible everywhere else (and everyone else) is, it might help explain one irony of the nature of humans.

Last edited by amideislas; Mar 26th 2013 at 1:52 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:53 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The majority don't speak spanish. One man I knew couldn't pronounce his address after 10 years He was about 75 so suppose it is difficult. There are a lot of Anglo-Spanish familes on the CDS and they all speak spanish. One of my friends is celebrating her 27th wedding anniversary with a Marbellí this year
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

The Spaniards I spoke to in Andalucia had never come across a British person who spoke Spanish. Many different people told me and they used to ask me why

The few British people up here of course do speak Spanish, or at least that is what an someone at tennis told me, I've never met one
I imagine that it would be nearly impossible to survive in the north without speaking Spanish. Even in Madrid where there is a larger expat community, you won't get far without speaking the lingo, so most speak Spanish to a varying degree.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know any Brits (or Germans, Dutch, Swedes or Belgians) living in my part of Andalucia who DON'T speak Spanish, at least enough to get by.

I'm guessing your comment is referring to the costas?

Calling them ignorant ego-maniacs isn't really helping Anglo-Spanish relations, is it?!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I don't know any Brits (or Germans, Dutch, Swedes or Belgians) living in my part of Andalucia who DON'T speak Spanish, at least enough to get by.

Calling them ignorant ego-maniacs isn't really helping Anglo-Spanish relations, is it?!
For lack of any better argument proving that everyone except the Spanish are crooks and whingers, he always resolves to the "they deserve it 'cause they don't speak Spanish" argument. Apparently the same applies even to those who do.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

I was talking about the small bit of Andalucia where I lived, although someone did once tell me that the CDS isnt really Andalucia, it starts 30 km inland Which is a fair enough point

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, actually I said the majority of Brits are there for the sun and not anything Spanish, which also wasnt very good for Anglo-Spanish relations But hey, it didnt stop them calling me up for a game of football or tennis
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

What always strikes me a odd is that when I go to an Indian or Chinese restaurant I always try to converse in Spanish which for the majority of the workers there, is not their native language.
Inevitably, they recognise I am English and seemingly can't wait to switch to English!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

If you go around speaking English all the time then maybe so. I've spoken to many Andalucians who are bewildered why the British decide to live in Spain but refuse to do anything Spanish, but away from the Costas, Spaniards really don't know much about British people at all
Jeez, give us a break Cman and put another record on.
You are becoming boring in the extreme .

People will do as they will the World over, wether its live out in the sticks and integrate or be content amongst their own.

Regardless if they do or don't, the Spanish and local economies are reaping the benefits, so if there is a problem at all, it's certainly not yours.
It's supposed to be a free country so please stop bleating just for once because folk don't fit in with your criteria and live and let live.

Oh and by the way I've lost count of the number of Central and Northern Europeans who have remarked to me about what a warm and friendly welcome they received when visiting London.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
Whilst the guy is indeed new here, he appears on at least one other forum and I'm guessing some know of him from there. He teaches "english and spanish" as he puts it, so perhaps people are assuming his help won't be free. Of course not all new posters are treated as such, maybe just the one's that join to promote their business? Have you mellowed over the years, I don't remember you being so sympathetic in the past?
yes,got banned from every other forum,most annoying was the forum where i live as the expert comes here every 2 years for 2 weeks and lives in manchester,i mentioned that this was wrong,all her info was wrong and got so many complaints,i got banned,still she posts out of date info and is still the de expert,just shows how crap that website is really
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Rubalcaba, as Minister of the Interior, took away our residence ID cards a few years ago, dooming us to carry (in modern 21st century Europe) a passport and a green police card. Then, they started threatening or even knocking down houses in Southern Spain bought by foreigners in good faith.
You could look at this from another persepective. Brits aren't specifically targeted by the ID rules, it's just that other EU nationals have ID cards provided by their own states. For whatever reason the UK govt has not seen fit to do this.

As for the houses, while there are so many flats unsold it's hard to justify building on green spaces and coastal strips to provide holiday or retirement homes. And however some choose to portray it, it's not just britons who've had their homes threatened.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

You really are incredible in your blinkered views, over thirty years ago the Brits here in Andalucia were speaking Spanish....you are not the first!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:47 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Once again another generalisation to make the world rotate.

All towns and cities can have their problems, but I have found that being welcoming yourself in a foreign place works wonders.
Treat people the way you would want to be treated and they will respond to you

Treat people the way many Brits do - whether on holdiay or as residents, with their noses in the air, their heads up their bums, continually muttering "bloody dagoes" and guess what - you get a reaction alright.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I imagine that it would be nearly impossible to survive in the north without speaking Spanish. Even in Madrid where there is a larger expat community, you won't get far without speaking the lingo, so most speak Spanish to a varying degree.
Too true. You hardly ever meet English people. Those tourists that do come here are usually more interested in either language or culture, rather than just sun, so will tend to know some Spanish often.
Mustn't be forgotten that learning a language when you're over 60 is twice as hard as when you're younger, due to memory retention, or lack of it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.