weird cat

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default weird cat

Ok i just dont know what to do with my weird cat

she has a bowl of food and water there, all day. we change her water often. but she only seems to want to drink MY water from my glass that i leave on the table.
I tell her off, she knows she is doing wrong cause when i catch her i tell her off- and when i catch her she runs off scared.

So why does she do it??
can you train a cat to BEHAVE! ?????

please help!
xxxx
Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weird cat

Originally Posted by featherbum

she has a bowl of food and water there, all day. we change her water often. but she only seems to want to drink MY water from my glass that i leave on the table.
I tell her off, she knows she is doing wrong cause when i catch her i tell her off- and when i catch her she runs off scared.

So why does she do it??

please help!
xxxx
How strange that I found your post today!

I am reading this guy's book right now, titled Is Your Cat Crazy?

He discusses behaviors just like this and how to correct them.
Two things come to mind (I'm not done with the book yet! )

-Kitty is really super attached to YOU. She digs YOU.
-Don't yell at her for punishment; this will drive her away from you (I'm living proof of this outcome).

He's got some good ideas for displacing her unwanted behaviors. Make sure the food/water and litterbox are far from each other or if no box, that the watering area is suitable for kitty (they have a surprisingly long list of 'needs' for the perfect area).

Good luck. (we switched to water from narrow mouthed glasses so she can't get her face into it. Yes, my cat does this too)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

she's not weird, animals are like kids, no two are the same.....why punish her poor thing, no wonder she runs off. my cat doesn't like to drink her water too close to her food bowl, has to be in another room. my friend's cat wont drink out of a regular pet bowl at all, only a beer mug and it has to be on the fire hearth in the lounge. you just need to take time to find out what makes your cat tick and be patient.

good luck
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
my friend's cat wont drink out of a regular pet bowl at all, only a beer mug and it has to be on the fire hearth in the lounge. you just need to take time to find out what makes your cat tick and be patient.
lol, how long did it take to figure out *that* particular special need?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, how long did it take to figure out *that* particular special need?
seems Beezer would attempt to drink out of the husband's empty beer mug when Beezer was a teeny kitten and so they started putting down a mug for him filled with water
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really like animals - but I'm interested - If YOU decide you want your cat to take it's food and drink in the corner of the kitchen, next to the back door behind the bin - is the book saying the cat would starve itself before it would eat there, if it wanted to eat on the sofa in front of TV???

How much was this book?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by leighbloke
I don't really like animals - but I'm interested - If YOU decide you want your cat to take it's food and drink in the corner of the kitchen, next to the back door behind the bin - is the book saying the cat would starve itself before it would eat there, if it wanted to eat on the sofa in front of TV???

How much was this book?
heheh.. I picked it up 2nd hand. BUT, the idea is that cats have limited motivations and they dont' like it when they compete.
If, for example, the litterbox is 'too close' to the feeding (or sleeping or other) area, they'll eat the food, but they'll crap somewhere else.

Or, drink out of the toilet or something else inappropriate.

One example given was placing the litterbox where the owner wanted it, in their bathroom. Kitty could see all the perceived threats from that spot, so started pooping a few feet away.. she knew she was supposed to 'go' in that region, but didn't feel safe enough to go in the box.

People make some very strange accommodation for their pets, but that is part of the relationship. If you don't really like companion pets, it would seem all the stranger to you.

PS: sounds like Beezer got trained for that behavior.. ah, the unintended consequences of cute!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
why punish her poor thing, no wonder she runs off.
yes you are right i just find it a bit grim
what i was trying to explain is that she knows she is doing wrong cause evertime i catch her she runs off- ie, she knows she shouldnt be doing it?!
so then why does she do it?

i have one of those 'twin' bowls (no idea what they are called) with food and drink all in same thing.

i will try separating it, see if it does the trick....!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

heheh.. I picked it up 2nd hand. BUT, the idea is that cats have limited motivations and they dont' like it when they compete.
If, for example, the litterbox is 'too close' to the feeding (or sleeping or other) area, they'll eat the food, but they'll crap somewhere else.

Or, drink out of the toilet or something else inappropriate.

One example given was placing the litterbox where the owner wanted it, in their bathroom. Kitty could see all the perceived threats from that spot, so started pooping a few feet away.. she knew she was supposed to 'go' in that region, but didn't feel safe enough to go in the box.

People make some very strange accommodation for their pets, but that is part of the relationship. If you don't really like companion pets, it would seem all
the stranger to you.

PS: sounds like Beezer got trained for that behavior.. ah, the unintended consequences of cute!
Sounds like you paid about what it was worth then!!

So does the book not give advice on methods to coerce the cat to do what you want? or does it just say to find out what the cat wants and pander to it?- Do they do one on Men I can give the wife?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:01 pm

Sounds like you paid about what it was worth then!!

So does the book not give advice on methods to coerce the cat to do what you want? or does it just say to find out what the cat wants and pander to it?- Do they do one on Men I can give the wife?
No, you do not give in to the cat's every whim, but you do need to understand their primal motivations to modify their behavior.
The whole book's on behavior mod. The guy's career is re-training animals who are doing undesirable things.

Men are far more primitive beings that really only respond to the 'lizard brain' stimulus. Missus might just need the Advanced Course so that you *think* you're getting pandered to, while really doing exactly what She wants.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

.............. Missus might just need the Advanced Course so that you *think* you're getting pandered to, while really doing exactly what She wants.
Thats where she was every other Thursday night, for the last two years??
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

simon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to all

So why does she do it??

please help!
xxxx
My friend had a dog that sat down for meals with him ,thought it was weird until i saw it with my own eyes . Nice enough girl but not the prettiest
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simon2129
My friend had a dog that sat down for meals with him ,thought it was weird until i saw it with my own eyes . Nice enough girl but not the prettiest
Boom Boom!!
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

simon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to all

Boom Boom!!
My other mate went out with a Heffer,9 months later she gave birth to a cowboy
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

So why does she do it??

please help!
xxxx
My Cat, used to love a cup of tea. She would wait until I had nearly finished my tea so it wouldn't be very hot and dip her paw in to get the tea, so having a cup that she couldn't get her head in made no difference. And yes it was always my cup of tea she wanted. Unfortunatly she was very ill and died last year aged 17. Miss her lots.
You may think you can train a cat but really they train you.
Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.