Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Websites for Renting in Spain-not for holiday but to live

Websites for Renting in Spain-not for holiday but to live

Old Apr 1st 2011, 9:40 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Websites for Renting in Spain-not for holiday but to live

Originally Posted by Leper
Hi Lou and Maggie,

If I had a penny for every hairdresser/beautician who travelled to Spain in search of the elusive Living the Dream I wouldn't even be doing my Lottery ticket. It all sounds great making the break etc. But, you are heading into a minefield wearing oversized slippers. The good news is that you are not the first and wont be the last.

4. Realistically, the only employment you will get in any of the Costas is waiting on tables and even this is not easy to acquire. I've never seen anybody like the Spanish to accept CVs with a huge smile and even offer an interview. But, to offer a job - in reality, very little chance.
I think hairdresser and beauticians can buy/rent chairs in salons, altho I dont know whether its cost effective? I do my own hair!

I'm not sure that Speaking Spanish - even if you're totally bilingual helps on the Costa del Sol, there are sooooo many bilingual people here already, English who've grown up here, Spanish who've grown up with english speakers.... and of course the Spanish here is Andalucian, which isnt easy to grasp - they dont seem to bother consonants or the ends of words lol!!

As for work, I've not seen any bar work advertised (or hairdressers/beauticians come to that), there are some telesales jobs down here, the pay isnt good and it isnt fun, but one or two offer contracts and with commission??? In fact without commission you dont keep the job

Jo xxx
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Michael74
Many thanks for the link. Plenty to look at there
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
Whilst on the subject of renting, what are the chances of renting unfurnished property in Spain, perhaps the Oliva, Denia & Javea are. Most of what is advertised is furnished.

We are looking to sell our house at around September time (yeh I know - anyway - hopefully) and renting for perhaps six to twelve months before moving on to other shores. So we have a house full of furniture to move.
There are unfurnished places to rent, but the vast majority are rented out furnished, may be a cheaper option to sell your UK furniture and move into a furnished place
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
I knew when I was posting that I could cause some offence. Therefore, I toned it down. Please, I did not assume you could not speak Spanish. I know that this forum is popular and it would not be only the posters here that would be reading it; other Live the Dream seekers would be looking in also.. Furthermore, I did not single out hairdressers/beauticians for some patronising treatment my own sister is a hairdresser.

I live in southern Spain for several months every year. I speak Spanish. I have lots of contacts in the local and ex-pat community. Seeking the Dream was quite good up to about five years ago. The Dream turned into a Nightmare for many since especially those who sold up everything in the UK.

I could rattle off names randomely of ex-pats who took over restaurants only to find themselves in dreadful unpayable debt a few months later. I could rattle off names of qualified people now doing unofficial airport runs, part-time restaurant work etc. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, but even these kind of employments are getting scarcer and scarcer. Empathy from other ex-pats and locals is practically non existant.

In spite of all I said, some take to Spain like a duck to water. And good look to them. But, have a closer look and you will see that they made their own luck and will stop at nothing to protect their luck. Believe me, I have nothing but admiration for these people. I look at the unsuccessful ones too, and it's not nice to see the dilemma in which they are trapped.
....I agree with you, it is now very hard to find work in Spain even for those that speak the language, many builders, plumbers, handy persons, service workers that used to make enough to see them through are now traveling to and from the Uk to pay their way... teaching English to the local Spanish if you are fluent in Spanish can pay a basic income to put food on the table, other than that think the worst and then anything better will be a bonus...anyone who plans to move there to work requires a back up plan or some other source of income.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 6:23 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
....I agree with you, it is now very hard to find work in Spain even for those that speak the language, many builders, plumbers, handy persons, service workers that used to make enough to see them through are now traveling to and from the Uk to pay their way... teaching English to the local Spanish if you are fluent in Spanish can pay a basic income to put food on the table, other than that think the worst and then anything better will be a bonus...anyone who plans to move there to work requires a back up plan or some other source of income.
Some dont even have plan A, never mind a back up plan......
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lou25
Hey guys,
trying to organise a move to Spain, looking at the areas in Costa del sol and Marbella that kind of stretch of coast, finding it rather difficult to find websites that are for people looking to live in 'home' accommodation rather than holiday apartments etc. Anyone have any good sites that have purely rentals for long stay or even short stay but not for holiday stays

Oh and any one that has any info on the nicer parts ie more available work, more going on possibly more expats, just nice, good parts. I'm a hairdresser but really don't mind what job i do.

Thank you in advance
Most Real Estate agents do rentals, here is one: http://www.dbmarbella.com/