weather

Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: weather

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
A lot of times I feel colder in the house than outside. This is due to the poor construction of these houses with no insulation at all. You think that the govt tries to conserve energy by introducing solar & yet they allow builders to build such poor quality houses with NO insulation.

The weather in this part of Spain is cold enough to need good insulation houses to conserve energy.
I guess because of cold weather, humidity, rainfall, etc., is not so prevalent in Spain as it is in the UK, I think that not even in the colder areas of Spain

Therefore, it is understandable that the houses in UK necessarily are better insulated, of the same way that also I understand there is scoundrels builders save money by making lower-quality homes than could be

But is my opinion

Last edited by Relampago; Feb 13th 2012 at 5:29 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Ummmmmmmmmmm well that is another regulation that has been ignored.
glad you said that...
went out with the dog at lunchtime and looked at the construction of some houses round here and
No Insulation.
Just a concrete pour shell and the usual thin terracotta bricks full of holes for the walls, one wall, nothing on the inside.

no wonder I am so cold in the house I have to go out for a walk to warm up
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
glad you said that...
went out with the dog at lunchtime and looked at the construction of some houses round here and
No Insulation.
Just a concrete pour shell and the usual thin terracotta bricks full of holes for the walls, one wall, nothing on the inside.

The first three months after moving here four and a half years ago we lived in Mijitas Pueblo down on the coast, they were building a block of flats at the back of us and three villas at the front.....not one piece of insulation went into any of those buildings!
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You won't see the insulation going in. They usually spray PU foam onto the inside of the wall and then build another course of bricks or board in front of it.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
glad you said that...
No Insulation.

Ours was breeze block followed by poly insulation followed by ladrillos and screeded with cement on both sides.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
You won't see the insulation going in. They usually spray PU foam onto the inside of the wall and then build another course of bricks or board in front of it.
Believe me Fred....it didn't go in, not in any way shape or form!
Perhaps that's why to this day they are still unoccupied.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

For those of you with insulation, do you feel warmer & does it help to reduce heat loss?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:22 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Believe me Fred....it didn't go in, not in any way shape or form!
Perhaps that's why to this day they are still unoccupied.
I'm not disputing that but they mainly use sprayed foam so it might be obvious that it has been used,
Old Feb 14th 2012, 6:28 am

For those of you with insulation, do you feel warmer & does it help to reduce heat loss?
It's impossible to say without comparing it to an identical house without insulation.

In theory it is bound to improve things but to what extent depends on the individual house.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Well if the Gulf Stream was to switch off we would all be permanantly much colder even here in Spain, and if we could live at that temperature walk across from France to UK, just not sure if the Bay of Biscay would freeze over to allow a walk from Spain without going via France.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:01 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's impossible to say without comparing it to an identical house without insulation.

In theory it is bound to improve things but to what extent depends on the individual house.
One thing which also seems obvious .... our lounge has a circular wall on one side, and it is an outside wall. A friends house nearby has one small part of a wall (2 meters) that is an outside wall, and the rest is internal. The difference in heat in these rooms is tremendous. So even with the insulation there can be so much of a difference. Our balcony has been double glazed. However the external wall is not insulated and is just breeze block, and under the floor is another open balcony downstairs. Its a cold room at this time of year and when heated there is much condensation.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the insulation it's how much energy you use to to get to a comfortable level.
Any insulation will reduce the heat loss but from what I've seen in Spainish new builds its much too little to make much difference.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:18 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by johnnyone
It's not the insulation it's how much energy you use to to get to a comfortable level.
Any insulation will reduce the heat loss but from what I've seen in Spainish new builds its much too little to make much difference.
Im also not sure how much truth there can be in this, but last year a neigbour had his house coated in a waterproofer and then painted with a good plastic paint ....... and he says he things its made a difference to the heat in his house
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:31 am

I would love to use an Infra-Red Thermometer on some of these houses and give the owners a picture of their heat loss

Trouble is Spanish attitude appears to be to complain about it for 3 months and the worry about the reverse for the following 9 months.

In a couple of months time we will be able to boil up a cup of tea without a kettle...........
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:59 am

I have just checked the temperature of our insulated/cavity walls using an IR thermometer. The outside wall is 9.4c and the inside wall 19.4c. Room temperature is 20.3c

The walls seems to work OK but the windows are a different matter. They are double glazed but the inside pane is 17.2c and the outside pane 13.2c so you can see where the heat is going!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.