British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Wearing dressing gowns out ???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/wearing-dressing-gowns-out-425164/)

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 9:26 am

Wearing dressing gowns out ????

Had to see if anyone else thinks it's a tad strange :blink: :p

There is a few Mums that collect their children, wearing slippers, dressing downs and what looks like PJ's on !

I am definitely not a snob ....but I find this soooo strange.

Some Spanish ladies are soooo stunning and stylish....wearing high-heels, designer jeands etc to the MARKET and on a boiling hot day....(there's me in me flip-flops :) )

I think it's quite endearing that the locals don't put on any pretence ......but is this just where I live or is this normal?

keithwalters Feb 9th 2007 9:45 am

Re: Wearing dressing gowns out ????

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie (Post 4380884)

There is a few Mums that collect their children, wearing slippers, dressing downs and what looks like PJ's on !

Some Spanish ladies are soooo stunning and stylish....wearing high-heels, designer jeands etc to the MARKET and on a boiling hot day....(there's me in me flip-flops :) )

I think it's quite endearing that the locals don't put on any pretence ......but is this just where I live or is this normal?

No, I think it´s pretty much everywhere. Although most of the women wearing dressing gowns in the street are at least 140 years old, not hanging around outside school gates!!:huh:

gallerie9 Feb 9th 2007 10:39 am

No that is normal, all the women no matter what age are in there PJ and dressing gowns most of the day, I could tell winter !!!! was coming when I saw the first in the local shop in her PJ s.
The women here do there house work in them.
I have never seen one in the market though.The designer wear is the norm there.

helenba Feb 9th 2007 11:26 am

im in england at the moment and its cold here if i went shopping in asda in pjs and dressing gown i think the little men in white coats would come and get me but i might give it a try we are over to spain next sunday for 4 days i will have to look in my local shop for the pj brigade helenba

steve in pago Feb 9th 2007 1:29 pm

well it goes on in scouse land, was in makro the other day & low & behold this family the wife & kids were walking around in there gymjams & dressing gowns, its a local thing i've found out later :confused:

Rixxy Feb 9th 2007 1:46 pm

Welllll - I have to admit to doing this when I first came to Spain, but mainly cos I worked hard and could be bothered to get dressed in the mornings! I did get strange looks and then decided if the car broke down etc I would die of embarrassment!

Now the kids are older there is NO WAY tey will let me out looking like that. Teenagers huh!?! :rofl:

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 1:49 pm

No :ohmy: I'm not having that.....normal :confused: I don't think so!! No....I am shaking my head in disbelief........you are all kidding aren't you :p

Hillybilly Feb 9th 2007 1:59 pm

No, not kidding. They do it round here too. Usually out at about midday cleaning the outside of the house or the pavement or going to the local shop in their dressing gowns and slippers. Sometimes curlers too for that finishing effect.

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 4381573)
No, not kidding. They do it round here too. Usually out at about midday cleaning the outside of the house or the pavement or going to the local shop in their dressing gowns and slippers. Sometimes curlers too for that finishing effect.

Nooooooooo :ohmy: I will believe you but I am still shaking my head in disbelief :blink:

keithwalters Feb 9th 2007 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4381599)
Nooooooooo :ohmy: I will believe you but I am still shaking my head in disbelief :blink:

I´ll see if I can get you some photographic evidence and post it on here. (That is if they don´t think I am a pervert taking photos of old women in their bed wear). :p

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4381763)
I´ll see if I can get you some photographic evidence and post it on here. (That is if they don´t think I am a pervert taking photos of old women in their bed wear). :p

:lol: Thanks Keith.....this I have GOT to see :blink:

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4381530)
No :ohmy: I'm not having that.....normal :confused: I don't think so!! No....I am shaking my head in disbelief........you are all kidding aren't you :p

You made me laugh.....:rofl: I can imagine how shocked you are....cos it just doesn't seem right does it !!

Well off to do last school run.....wonder how many dressing gowns i see out ;)

Not long now and you'll be a part of this mad place :rofl: .....it's mint!!!

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie (Post 4381781)
You made me laugh.....:rofl: I can imagine how shocked you are....cos it just doesn't seem right does it !!

Well off to do last school run.....wonder how many dressing gowns i see out ;)

Not long now and you'll be a part of this mad place :rofl: .....it's mint!!!

Oh please get dressed first Mrs E :rofl:

Hillybilly Feb 9th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4381763)

:rofl:
P'raps there should be a prize for the first person to be able to get photographic evidence of this phenomenon (without being arrested) and who posts it on here! No contrived photos allowed!

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 4381843)
P'raps there should be a prize for the first person to be able to get photographic evidence of this phenomenon (without being arrested) and who posts it on here! No contrived photos allowed!

Can't wait :blink:

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4381888)
Can't wait :blink:

But do you REALLY want to see them tho .....:eek:

I did get dressed Lionda......I've embraced the Spanish way of life up to a certain point.....;)

Shoot me if I eventually submit to not dressing :rofl:

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hillybilly (Post 4381843)

Hillybilly.....I'm slightly worried about you mate :rofl:

The peeps in dressing gowns at the school gates are those that you shouldn't mess with ..... so I aint gunna try snapping them ....I'll be news in the CB News :blink: :p

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie (Post 4382008)
But do you REALLY want to see them tho .....:eek:

I did get dressed Lionda......I've embraced the Spanish way of life up to a certain point.....;)

Shoot me if I eventually submit to not dressing :rofl:

Well if you do eventually give in to it I have a very nice pair of striped bed socks with cats on I could lend you, they look pretty sexy with a pair of slippers and a dressing gown ;) (well - I like to think so :lol: )

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4382035)
Well if you do eventually give in to it I have a very nice pair of striped bed socks with cats on I could lend you, they look pretty sexy with a pair of slippers and a dressing gown ;) (well - I like to think so :lol: )

Oh wow.....:rofl: they sound fab.....don't wanna get the others jealous tho....when I eventually do the dressing gown thing.....I wanna be subtle...then I'll work up to the stripy/cat bed sock look. Think it'll be worth the wait :rofl:

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie (Post 4382059)
Oh wow.....:rofl: they sound fab.....don't wanna get the others jealous tho....when I eventually do the dressing gown thing.....I wanna be subtle...then I'll work up to the stripy/cat bed sock look. Think it'll be worth the wait :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :p

keithwalters Feb 9th 2007 5:09 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Spotted at six o´clock this evening entering Supersol.

Dressing gown and slippers.

So what´s my prize???:p

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4382367)

OMG :eek: :rofl: Thanks Keith :lol:

gallerie9 Feb 9th 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters (Post 4382367)

thats fantastic, I once saw a man in his fetching bread early one sunday morning.

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 5:17 pm

Well I am actually wearing mine now but only because it is so cold today I have had a hot bath to warm me bones and decided to snuggle into my pj's slippers and dressing gown....don't intend leaving the house though ;)

Mercedes Feb 9th 2007 5:40 pm

Well I admit I have popped out to the local shop in my nightdress with an overcoat on, just to get some milk....But I didn't have slippers on.....I may have wellies if it was raining....:D That was in the UK by the way, and no one gave me funny looks....that I was aware of anyway....I think I had cleaned my teeth....I was about 19 at the time....:o But I haven't done it since...I don't think.....

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 4382481)
Well I admit I have popped out to the local shop in my nightdress with an overcoat on, just to get some milk....But I didn't have slippers on.....I may have wellies if it was raining....:D That was in the UK by the way, and no one gave me funny looks....that I was aware of anyway....I think I had cleaned my teeth....I was about 19 at the time....:o But I haven't done it since...I don't think.....

Somehow....even with clean teeth....I don't think we can excuse you for that Mercedes :lol: ;)

brisca Feb 9th 2007 6:26 pm

It's absolutely true, Lionda!

I don't know about Mums at the school gate, but pretty much all the women aged over about 60 in our village wear their dressing gowns and slippers in public, for the best part of the morning!
They go and buy bread, pop to the village shop, sweep their doorsteps and the street outside their houses - all wearing this attire!!

In fact, this afternoon (about 3.30) we met a village lady out in the campo (countryside) wearing her dressing gown and slippers!!

It's funny how quickly you accept it as being "the norm" though!

My O/H has now joined in.............and wears his slippers to the bar (a 20 metre stagger from our door!!) :D

Because we don't have any outside space with our rented house, I have to take the dog out first thing in the morning - and I must admit to throwing a fleece and tracksuit trousers over my PJs to do so!!
However, I do always clean my teeth, in case I bump into anyone!! :lol:

Mrs eddie Feb 9th 2007 6:42 pm

How funny !!!!

Can not see it catching on in England.....geez......now I'm imagining my Nan going to ASDA with her bed clothes on.......oooooooooooo...loves ya Nan but would have to say something :rofl:

Starting to slip a little bit tho....have gone out without my concealer on :eek: :blink: scarey !!

But hopefully got a long way to go before I'm borrowing Lionda's sexy bed socks :lol: :rofl:

Mercedes Feb 9th 2007 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4382500)
Somehow....even with clean teeth....I don't think we can excuse you for that Mercedes :lol: ;)

I don't know, I could have started a new fashion trend, the wellies looked pretty sexy, if they were Jimmy Choos, no one would have blinked....:D

crispy Feb 9th 2007 8:24 pm

I used to take my daughters to work every morning (early about 6.30) in my pj's and slippers but I was in the car so please tell me that doesn't count............PLEASE!

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4383151)
I used to take my daughters to work every morning (early about 6.30) in my pj's and slippers but I was in the car so please tell me that doesn't count............PLEASE!

That doesn't really seem too bad......many years ago my mum used to walk our dog in the early hours to the top of the lane and back in her nightie and dressing gown. We lived in the countryside though so only two rows of houses and everyone was in bed so hopefully she wasn't seen :)

Lionda Feb 9th 2007 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie (Post 4382726)
How funny !!!!

But hopefully got a long way to go before I'm borrowing Lionda's sexy bed socks :lol: :rofl:

Hey don't knock the bed socks....they are really cute....even got eyes that roll when you walk :rolleyes: When your standards start to slip just let me know and I'll have 'em washed and aired ready to wear :lol:

gallerie9 Feb 9th 2007 9:54 pm

Its not just older women I see young girls 18 upwards, younger women with children and middle aged women in fact all ages,
One young woman she cant be any older than 18 and I dont think I have seen her out of her PJ in months unless she is off to the Disco
They all do there house work in the PJ and then pop to the shop to get stuff for lunch.

Mercedes Feb 9th 2007 9:56 pm

It only counts when you break down, I now remember :ohmy: taking my husband in Oz to work in my pjs and bare feet and ran out of petrol on the way back.... worse my husbands business partner saw me and stopped and gave me a hand. I had only met him once....:o

Originally Posted by crispygirl (Post 4383151)

Pam Sarky Feb 10th 2007 6:46 am

Just taken the dog out the front of the house for him to have a piddle with my dressing gown on!!! This thread came into my head so I quickly got back in the house. Cant stop chuckling to myself now lol :rofl: :rofl:

jdr Feb 10th 2007 6:50 am

Originally Posted by sam parky (Post 4385972)
Just taken the dog out the front of the house for him to have a piddle with my dressing gown on!!! This thread came into my head so I quickly got back in the house. Cant stop chuckling to myself now lol :rofl: :rofl:

Didn`t he have a job doing it wearing your dressing gown ?

Pam Sarky Feb 10th 2007 7:09 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 4385977)
Didn`t he have a job doing it wearing your dressing gown ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: He didnt do a job though!!! Only a piddle.

Mrs eddie Feb 10th 2007 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 4383643)
Hey don't knock the bed socks....they are really cute....even got eyes that roll when you walk When your standards start to slip just let me know and I'll have 'em washed and aired ready to wear

The socks have eyes that roll ...really ....ooooo I'm getting tempted now hun :rofl: :

Can't believe they are so many gals admitting to wearing there pjs and dressing gowns out......:rofl:

I'm going get a dog and go for it !!!! :p :D

And Keith....that photo was mint :rofl: :rofl: .........I'm going check out your other thread now........

Mercedes Feb 10th 2007 9:37 am

You naughty girl, embarrassing your dog like that....I can just hear him/her thinking, she's not wearing that again is she, better be quick...:D My partner walked out to the washing line to get some clothes in his birthday suit, we thought the house was a bit more private there, hidden by trees and no one could see, until my neighbour made a comment about him having a cute bum.:lol:

Originally Posted by sam parky (Post 4385972)

poollounger Feb 10th 2007 12:00 pm

Well I live in South London and have been known to pop out to the car parked on the street in dressing gown and PJs. I cannot see what all the fuss is about. It's all about integration. I remember an actor friend touring in Scotland years ago heading down for breakfast at his digs in gown and pj's to be told by dragon landlandy that this was not done in Scotland!!!
I often garden in Spain in my pjs. It's all about what you feel comfortable in and to hell with the neighbours.
In the Carribbean may women spend the day in headscarf and rollers... out and about in the shops etc etc, in preparation for the evening outing.
Loose your inhibitions people....go upmarket with your pjs and wear them out for all to see.....