Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Water Problem in Chiclana

Water Problem in Chiclana

Old May 12th 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

The London man is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Water Problem in Chiclana

Our well is short of water, is it posible to put tankers of water down it to top it up. Would be gratful for some advice or help with this problem.
Old May 12th 2007, 7:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Problem in Chiclana

Originally Posted by The London man
Our well is short of water, is it posible to put tankers of water down it to top it up. Would be gratful for some advice or help with this problem.
It depends on the water table level at the moment, its no good topping it up if its going to run out the well
Water finds its own level.
Old May 12th 2007, 7:23 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi London Man where in Chiclana are you, we live in Rana Verde and in the four years we have been here we have never had a water problem, we did have a props with the pump that caused the water flow to ease up but once that was sorted it was back to normal. Have you checked the pump?
Old May 13th 2007, 6:29 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

JDR is right, however we have helped several people that have water problems due to low levels. Basically put a large deposito (a plastic container - I suggest 12,000 litres) above ground with a supply from the well for when it has water, and then pump from the deposito to the house. In the height of summer then buy water in for the deposito as necessary.
Not cheap but it can be sufficient if you are frugal with water

Dave
Old May 13th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Some areas of Chiclana are well known for their shortages of well water and/or salty water. Rana Verde is well blessed by sitting on top of an underground lake but for many other it's an annual problem. And the proliferation of swimming pools with the regular topping up of the pool, as well as automatic watering systems for the garden don't help matters.

Many people round here have had the depositos installed, as Dave says, and they're an expensive outlay.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Flooziesoozie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are in Caulina and had a similar problem last year with the well running dry. We did have it topped by tanker once or twice. However, we also have the problem that our well water is of very poor quality. The salt, iron and calcium levels were so high that the water was unusable in the villa. It left a film of chalk on everything.
We have now had a 12,000 litre water tank installed and will no longer be using the well to supply the villa. This means that the well will probably not get used as the water burns out pumps (3 in 18 months), kills all the plants and leaves chalky deposits on the patios etc.
We are paying approx 80 euros for 10,000 litres. We have not yet used this during the heat of the summer so not sure how long it will last.
We felt this was the best option for us even though it may prove a little expensive.
Old May 13th 2007, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Flooziesoozie
Hi,

We are in Caulina and had a similar problem last year with the well running dry. We did have it topped by tanker once or twice. However, we also have the problem that our well water is of very poor quality. The salt, iron and calcium levels were so high that the water was unusable in the villa. It left a film of chalk on everything.
We have now had a 12,000 litre water tank installed and will no longer be using the well to supply the villa. This means that the well will probably not get used as the water burns out pumps (3 in 18 months), kills all the plants and leaves chalky deposits on the patios etc.
We are paying approx 80 euros for 10,000 litres. We have not yet used this during the heat of the summer so not sure how long it will last.
We felt this was the best option for us even though it may prove a little expensive.

I didn't realise that this was such a problem here, I seem to be living in ignorant bliss here in Rana Verde.
Old May 13th 2007, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Suprised it has run out already what with all the rain we have had. No problem in Pago del Humo for the moment but with all the new houses being built around us that could change.
Old May 13th 2007, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi London Man where in Chiclana are you, we live in Rana Verde and in the four years we have been here we have never had a water problem, we did have a props with the pump that caused the water flow to ease up but once that was sorted it was back to normal. Have you checked the pump?
Yes the pump is ok, I think the well is not deep enough The property behind and in front are all Ok
Old May 13th 2007, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Crispygirl
We live in Pago Del Humo, Camino de los Remedios
Old May 13th 2007, 5:43 pm

Hi Crispygirl
We live in Pago Del Humo, Camino de los Remedios
Hi, Chiclanagirl lives over that way and she says her water is still OK, so I expect you are right and the well is snot deep enough. What will you do, get someone in to dig deeper for you, was it a new build if so maybe the builder could get it sorted for you . Wish you well Londonman, by the way are you one of the many retired or are you having t find work?
Old May 13th 2007, 7:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the pump is ok, I think the well is not deep enough The property behind and in front are all Ok
Even if it is not deep enough it should still refill to that level unless the water table around you drops.
Old May 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Could it be that it depends precisely where you are , even within a small area like Pago? We are upper Pago, and before we had a drive laid and a gravelled garden we were badly flooded in the winter rain. We have a bore hole not a well. So far no problems. I know people over in San Andreas golf, which is not densely populated, who have very salty water. I would have your well checked. We had our pool filled by tanker....if I remember correctly, 12,000litres a wagon at about 85 EU a time.
Old May 14th 2007, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Chiclanagirl lives over that way and she says her water is still OK, so I expect you are right and the well is snot deep enough. What will you do, get someone in to dig deeper for you, was it a new build if so maybe the builder could get it sorted for you . Wish you well Londonman, by the way are you one of the many retired or are you having t find work?
No I will retire in three years time, then come over here for good.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:46 pm

No I will retire in three years time, then come over here for good.
From your user name I take it you are from London, where abouts. Originally I'm from the Old Kent Rd., when I got married in 1972 I moved to Charlton, ex and I thought we were moving to the country lived there for nearly 30 years but for my sins I ended up in Grays, Essex before I moved here.

I was in Viprins this morning and thought of you as I looking through the trade cards on the notice board, do you have the name of someone that could look at your well. I have a friend who know a Spanish chappie that drills wells, I think he is quite well known as my Spanish neighbor had a well dug 2 weeks ago when my friend was here and it was the same man who dug the ones in his street. If you want I can try and get his number for you, thing is my friend is in UK until the 21st May I can ask when he gets back.