Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Washers, windows and floor tiles x

Washers, windows and floor tiles x

Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:10 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washers, windows and floor tiles x

Hola all - not been around for quite a while as busy with my grandson - we've just come back from 4 weeks holiday in Ayamonte (cant wait till October for my next fix) - we have now found a couple of houses on Esuri that we wouldn't mind being the owner of - just some quickie questions if you dont mind
Do UK washers and dryers work ok in Spain or would we just be better off getting them over there?
UPVC windows - how do they fair in hot weather as hubby says the mid and dark coloured window frames start to warp and have problems in the UK in the heat - if this is the case we would probably buy white UPVC - where would we purchase them from over there?
We would like to tile all the outside area as we have dogs and not being there all the time it would be easier for maintenance for us - where would we buy floor tiles for outside use from?

I think thats it for now so mucho gracias for now

Love Sam xxxxx
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 10:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washers, windows and floor tiles x

Better off getting your washing machine here because the plumbing is for cold fill only. Dryers (in my opinion) are not really required.

My windows have been in since 2007 and I have not had any problems at all with them, they are dark framed, no sign of warping or discolouring. There are designated window companies so easy enough to buy.

There are a number of large DIY shops around Spain now but there are also loads of tile shops so best to shop around.

Hopefully someone in the area itself will give you advice on where to go.

Rosemary
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 11:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

UPVC windows are popular in the UK because of the thermal efficiency of the frames as they reduce or eliminate condensation that you would get with metal windows.

Condensation is not normally a problem in Spain as it is warmer. We had all our doors and windows made by a local company. They use aluminium which is cut to the size you need and fitted around vacuum sealed double glazed glass panels. The frames can come in any colour as they are powder coated resin and they never needs painting. Ours are dark green.

They were significantly cheaper than UPVC.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 11:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
UPVC windows are popular in the UK because of the thermal efficiency of the frames as they reduce or eliminate condensation that you would get with metal windows.

Condensation is not normally a problem in Spain as it is warmer. We had all our doors and windows made by a local company. They use aluminium which is cut to the size you need and fitted around vacuum sealed double glazed glass panels. The frames can come in any colour as they are powder coated resin and they never needs painting. Ours are dark green.

They were significantly cheaper than UPVC.
Thanks for that Fred I forgot to say it.

Rosemary
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 11:38 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Better off getting your washing machine here because the plumbing is for cold fill only. Dryers (in my opinion) are not really required.

Rosemary
Your UK washing machine will work just fine even if they only usually supply cold water connections. Your machine just uses the one input rather than two.

However, if it is more than a couple of years old, it may be better to buy new here and get a really efficient one (A++ for example) and also save on transport costs.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Why go to the expense of transporting large items which will cost a lot, and risk being damaged?
Dryers are useful for when there has been continuous days of rain, and when it is cold and damp ( not uncommon)and in winter - you do not want racks of drying clothes causing condensation and mould.
As for tiles , surely you know Spain has the best selection ever!
Spain IS in the 21st century as well, you know.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 11:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Ours are white Aluminium. As in the UK quality varies considerably and cheapest is often false economy.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 12:36 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Well if they are in good condition and all your other things are coming anyway whats the harm in putting them on board ?
Hot feed is easily sorted in most Spanish houses if the need arises.
As has been said you will need a tumble dryer here as well, hence most shops stock them.

Last edited by VFR; Aug 24th 2015 at 12:41 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
Well if they are in good condition and all your other things are coming anyway whats the harm in putting them on board ?
Hot feed is easily sorted in most Spanish houses if the need arises.
As has been said you will need a tumble dryer here as well, hence most shops stock them.
Because they may well end up dented, unless they are in their original packing.
They are bulky, and with costs per cubic metre anything from 80-100 euros, it qill be expensive
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Washers, windows and floor tiles x

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hola all - not been around for quite a while as busy with my grandson - we've just come back from 4 weeks holiday in Ayamonte (cant wait till October for my next fix) - we have now found a couple of houses on Esuri that we wouldn't mind being the owner of - just some quickie questions if you dont mind
Do UK washers and dryers work ok in Spain or would we just be better off getting them over there?
UPVC windows - how do they fair in hot weather as hubby says the mid and dark coloured window frames start to warp and have problems in the UK in the heat - if this is the case we would probably buy white UPVC - where would we purchase them from over there?
We would like to tile all the outside area as we have dogs and not being there all the time it would be easier for maintenance for us - where would we buy floor tiles for outside use from?

I think thats it for now so mucho gracias for now

Love Sam xxxxx
Sam come round to ours in October and you can see both types and make judgements. Don't forget that Ayamonte is on the Atlantic coast and we do have pea soup fogs in winter with 100% humidity.
Know some great tile places in and around just depends what you want and how much you want to spend.
John.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 4:27 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We had UPVC windows fitted on our balcony. As you know we were quite close to the sea and up a mountain. I did a lot of research on it at the time and the general concencus was that a great deal of Spanish UPVC windows werent up to much. We didnt want aluminium ones because the ones we had in the villa suffered a lot with condensation.

So we found a company that supplied three way opening German made UPVC windows and they were excellent.

You'll know the size of our balcony area, so to give you an idea they were, if I remember correctly, about €2500. They were made to a template because of the rounded tops to our window spaces.

They have never leaked, are very soundproof, and the three ways works well. The only think we had them back for was the sealant dried out around one window where the sun hit all day long. They replaced the silicon sealant and it was fine after that.

For the rest of it, I'd buy your whits goods in Spain rather than go to the hassle of bringing them all over ;-)
Old Feb 13th 2016, 5:44 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone - sorry for the long delay but my time seems to be taken up with my grandson and my new job these days

Yep - we will get all the electicals over there now reading all your replies - thanks everyone for the info on PVC windows - hubby is a builder so gonna look into him bringing them over with us - well - when we get the house that is hahahaha

Thanks again everyone
Love Sam xxxxx