Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

WARNING PROPERTY SCAM

WARNING PROPERTY SCAM

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

jrdbish is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation WARNING PROPERTY SCAM

Just wanted to let others know of a scam that nearly affected one of my friends.

He placed his property for sale all over the internet and was contacted by guys with a french accent saying they represented investors and wanted to buy the property for the asking price providing they could declare a lower value in the deeds. Once this had been agreed they said that they could not travel to Spain for some time and asked the vendors to travel to Amsterdam to discuss the finer points of the transaction. This my friend did. When he got there all appeared to be going well until the lead man said that he need help in preparing the white money. He wanted a substantial sum in small demomination notes to swap for his 500 euro notes. Well the alarm bells finally rang when the guy said he would give me friend 20,000 euros to do this so he made he excuses and left. I too want to sell my fine country house in Murcia - any takers ? - and have since had a call as well from Paris on the same issue but it never went as far as the call.

There are a lot of desperate people trying to flog their homes at the moment and these people feed of that.

Jeff
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WARNING PROPERTY SCAM

Originally Posted by jrdbish
Just wanted to let others know of a scam that nearly affected one of my friends.

He placed his property for sale all over the internet and was contacted by guys with a french accent saying they represented investors and wanted to buy the property for the asking price providing they could declare a lower value in the deeds. Once this had been agreed they said that they could not travel to Spain for some time and asked the vendors to travel to Amsterdam to discuss the finer points of the transaction. This my friend did. When he got there all appeared to be going well until the lead man said that he need help in preparing the white money. He wanted a substantial sum in small demomination notes to swap for his 500 euro notes. Well the alarm bells finally rang when the guy said he would give me friend 20,000 euros to do this so he made he excuses and left. I too want to sell my fine country house in Murcia - any takers ? - and have since had a call as well from Paris on the same issue but it never went as far as the call.

There are a lot of desperate people trying to flog their homes at the moment and these people feed of that.

Jeff

surly the alarm bells should of rang when they were asked to go to Amsterdam ??? friends of mine had a similar contact when they were selling but couldnt understand why anyone would buy a house without seeing it first so gave them a wide berth :curse:
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

"I just don't believe it"

I'm getting more like him every day.

But seriously I cannot believe what folks will do either to sell or buy property in Spain.

The market is poor if you are selling but then again if you are buying in Spain or England you benefit from it being a buyers market - you sell low and buy low - sorry, if you don't you are not using common sense.

The friend/s, even going beyond the opening words of the "buyer", simply cannot be using their intelligence at all.

It is the same with the tales I have read of purchasers using the sellers Abogado. Apart from a very few instances in the UK it is bad enough to get your solicitor before a disciplinary committee and fined heavily, or worse - but most folk wouldn't think of doing it.

As far as "black money" is concerned, I don't care what anyone says to the .contrary, stay away from the transaction.

I visited the office of an estate agent in Oliva only a week or so ago and he said I didn't need to use an Abogado. Would I act upon this suggestion - NO - the same way that I will not buy without having a structural survey from a surveyor who does not have the disclaimer's Mitzyboy talks about elsewhere.

"For goodness sake"
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:52 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like 419 scammers to me. Advanced Fee Fraud. We will give you loads of money, just give us some first... I wouldnt travel abroad to sell my house though!