Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Wikiposts

Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Faith is an enormous thing!

You will recall on another thread where we discussed mozzie bites, and some awful experiences as well... like the bites you got before VitB is not proven 100% but is recommended in many places. I cant find the thread, but we discussed the horrors of LARIUM (an anti-moz treatment) and the advice given to me by an Australian tropical medicine doc to take vit B complex. Since then I take it regularly.

I still get bitten, but I like to think I get bitten less... faith... Like Jimmy Carter .. 'I believe'!

Sorry gotta go and have a coffee with the tooth fairy, then help Santa's elves make a few toys, before a night out in the pub drinking Guinness with my mates, the Leprechauns

Jon
Jon,

Interesting , but save yourself some money - most people can get all the vitamins and minerals they need by eating a balanced, varied diet, and taking too much of supplements, or taking them for too long, could be harmful.

Taking Vitamin B (or any other vitamin), eating Marmite, drinking Guinness etc will not stop female mossies from biting. You could try a crude test of this - for a few days take vitamin D, don't put on any form of mossie repellent for a few evenings and check how many bites you get. Then try another few evenings but this time also put on a proper repellent (eg containing DEET or Picaridin) before biting time, and check how many bites you get. You'd need to stay in broadly the same areas eg around your home. It would be great to hear the results.

Check out what the the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has to say about repelling mossies eg DEET - Frequently Asked Questions | London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine | LSHTM

By the way, Larium isn't an anti-mossie treatment. It was developed to prevent malaria, and works by killing the parasites that cause malaria. It isn't a good idea to associate Larium (or any other malaria medication) with the problem of how to repel mossies.

Keep up the good posts !!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

To be perfectly honest it is so windy here at the moment that we have not seen a mozzie and we have even had the screens folded back so that they aren't destroyed by the wind. Regards Bryony Mosquitoes
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ramon is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the power of faith !

Open image in new tab plse.

Last edited by Ramon; Aug 10th 2014 at 7:55 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning Ramón, the link is just an x ?
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ramon is an unknown quantity at this point

TRY THIS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramon
I realise that this is not a scientific 'proof', for Vitamin B Complex, but we were in 'Ol Blighty' last week and in a copse installing a wildlife camera (the same as you see on the BBC nature programmes). The OH stayed on the beaten track and our friend and I went into the undergrowth to place it. Clever me I had on shorts and T shirt (she had jeans + long sleeved shirt). Even though I came out well scratched by the brambles etc, I only had 2 little bites (under each earlobe - very symmetric!).

The OH who had stayed away from the undergrowth had many bites including 4 really big ones. By chance she was at the docs a couple of days later who said they looked like horse/sand fly bites.

I take the VitB complex and she doesn't. Before I took the Vit B she never got bitten more than me either. So I am happy to have loaded up with the capsules I mentioned earlier from Holland and Barrett when I was there.

Jon

PS Fred thanks for the advice - and on the other thread, but sometimes one sticks with the 'gut feeling'.... since VitB doesnt cause any problems- and is apparently good for the stress (mozzies are very stressful) - I'm sticking with it, and as a tropical doc also told me about it, I am happy to (maybe) be in blissful and stress-free ignorance However we agree on DEET as I wouldnt JUST rely on VitB in heavy mozzie areas... we always have some at home to supplement when we know the buggers are about.

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 20th 2014 at 7:51 pm.