Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:45 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

The last 6 weeks we have been relatively mozzie-free....

Last night it was noticeable... the bug-ggers are back!

Had a drink at the local at lunch today and a lady arrived, she has sent 10 mins chatting to a neighbour in the garden... and had 20-30 bites!

I was invited to a dinner tonight and it was lovely on the terrace, but we had to go in, unfortunately they had left the door open to bring the food out.... and our hostess killed about 20 of 'em inside!

So beware, the are back, overnight - literally

I'm bite free as I take the vitB Complex and put some gel on when they attacked.

Be prepared

Jon
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning - MOZZIES ARE BACK!!

Nasty little blighters I saw a white pick up truck spraying something along the river side of the dead end road last night. I thought either weed killer of something for the mossies ? there was blue writing on the truck. I was too far away to see what though.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ramon is an unknown quantity at this point

Jon, which is the vit B complex u take and where do you get it, please !
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:38 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramon
Jon, which is the vit B complex u take and where do you get it, please !
Hi Ramon I don't use a standard brand, as I travel a lot. When I can get it I take Holland and Barrett Complete Vit B complex from the UK (I live in Belgium). Holland & Barrett Complete B Caplets | Holland & Barrett Other times I go to places in Belgium. Ive never bought it in Spain/Portugal - sorry.

I think a good complex B which gives you over 100% RDA of several of the B variations will work - take a look at the link the 'top 8' are well over 100%. B is good for stress as well, which helps when deciding which resto to eat in in 2 countries; Which beach to walk on in 2 countries; Whether to eat tapas in one place - or wander around. Phew what stress

I hope you find what you need, Spain seems to have cheaper medicines etc, maybe Google as you speak perfect Spanish?

Good luck in the hunt for Vit B. I know you aren't currently owning, but mosquito screens on the doors / windows were the best investment we made in our place - better than even A/C (in our opinion).

Good to meet you a few weeks ago

Jon
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

made me chuckle and totally agree about the stress, which balcony to sit on to watch the river or the lights in the evening, which tapas bar today, hmmmm wander along the river road or into town for a coffee..... can't decide so maybe a cool drink on the terrace ..... I have decided I need some VitB also just for the stress

Seriously I wish the house has mossie screens.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
made me chuckle and totally agree about the stress, which balcony to sit on to watch the river or the lights in the evening, which tapas bar today, hmmmm wander along the river road or into town for a coffee..... can't decide so maybe a cool drink on the terrace ..... I have decided I need some VitB also just for the stress

We have screens but to enable us to sit outside in the evenings we found a mosquito net that fits over a garden parasol. You can either put on the one in the center of a table and drape it over the chairs around it or over a free standing one and drape over chairs under that. Regards Bryony
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

With the wind up here a garden parasol would end up with me hanging off it crossing the river lol
Old Aug 4th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Ramon I don't use a standard brand, as I travel a lot. When I can get it I take Holland and Barrett Complete Vit B complex from the UK (I live in Belgium). Holland & Barrett Complete B Caplets | Holland & Barrett Other times I go to places in Belgium. Ive never bought it in Spain/Portugal - sorry.

I think a good complex B which gives you over 100% RDA of several of the B variations will work - take a look at the link the 'top 8' are well over 100%. B is good for stress as well, which helps when deciding which resto to eat in in 2 countries; Which beach to walk on in 2 countries; Whether to eat tapas in one place - or wander around. Phew what stress

I hope you find what you need, Spain seems to have cheaper medicines etc, maybe Google as you speak perfect Spanish?

Good luck in the hunt for Vit B. I know you aren't currently owning, but mosquito screens on the doors / windows were the best investment we made in our place - better than even A/C (in our opinion).

Good to meet you a few weeks ago

Jon
Last issue first, indeed, a pleasure meeting you and a few of the fellas some weeks ago. Hope for friendship.

Are you sure it is the vitamin B, itself, that makes you mozzie free ? ...and not your intense belief that it is so, that which does the trick (faith)? LOL

Will get some B complex here in Spain and post results, brand , price.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

With the wind up here a garden parasol would end up with me hanging off it crossing the river lol
Maybe you could set some sort of record ;-))

Our innovative German neighbours have 2 parasols on their terrace and, as we also have strong winds, have tied string to 4 corners of each one and then tied the other ends to the terrace railings and the wall of their apartment.

We have a pergola with a retractable awning at one end of our terrace which is by far the best option if you are in a windy position.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Leroy Merlin in Corales have DIY screen kits.
I think I saw mozzie screens which you hang like curtains at Costco in Seville which looked like a cost effective solution. (well I saw them somewhere and I'm pretty sure it was there)
You could also get a set of good old English net curtains mail order!!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 10:52 am
Account Closed

bitman is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure but why do have these houses not standard fly screens fitted?

our house back in Mt Druitt, NSW, Australia had STANDARD fly screens on ALL windows & doors. they were an integrated part of the window and door frames...

Old Aug 5th 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Positive

Last issue first, indeed, a pleasure meeting you and a few of the fellas some weeks ago. Hope for friendship.

Are you sure it is the vitamin B, itself, that makes you mozzie free ? ...and not your intense belief that it is so, that which does the trick (faith)? LOL

Faith is an enormous thing!

You will recall on another thread where we discussed mozzie bites, and some awful experiences as well... like the bites you got before VitB is not proven 100% but is recommended in many places. I cant find the thread, but we discussed the horrors of LARIUM (an anti-moz treatment) and the advice given to me by an Australian tropical medicine doc to take vit B complex. Since then I take it regularly.

I still get bitten, but I like to think I get bitten less... faith... Like Jimmy Carter .. 'I believe'!

Sorry gotta go and have a coffee with the tooth fairy, then help Santa's elves make a few toys, before a night out in the pub drinking Guinness with my mates, the Leprechauns

Jon
Old Aug 7th 2014, 9:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We have never found mozzies that much of a problem but as we are further west with no large areas standing water nearby that could explain it.
Have found in the autumn that on the golf courses it can be a problem but nothing like the horseflies ( cleggs ) that have been attacking us back in the UK this summer.
Huge things that leave blood behind ( ours ) one they have done the deed.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stuff Vitamin B. It works by making your natural odours unattractive to mozzies and they stay away. Too much, however, is likely to make your natural odours unattractive to other humans and they will stay away too!
Interesting article in yesterday's paper, apparently Vitamin B can delay the onset of Alzheimer's - so at least you won't get demented about the damn mozzies
Old Aug 7th 2014, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, indeed FAITH is an enormous thing, and full of powers too.
It is the gateway to the enormous powers of your MIND ...believe, kid yourself and become a Magician and mozzie free !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.