Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Warning - buying a British registered car

Warning - buying a British registered car

Old May 19th 2008, 10:01 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warning - buying a British registered car

Hi,
I have a friend who has just bought this wonderful British registered car from a returning ex-pat. As the car has been here for more than six months, then to register it here on Spanish plates means that you HAVE to pay the "import" duty.
I know a lot of ex-pats are returning to England, and selling everything here. So please be aware of this pitfall

Dave
Old May 19th 2008, 11:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning - buying a British registered car

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi,
I have a friend who has just bought this wonderful British registered car from a returning ex-pat. As the car has been here for more than six months, then to register it here on Spanish plates means that you HAVE to pay the "import" duty.
I know a lot of ex-pats are returning to England, and selling everything here. So please be aware of this pitfall

Dave
Why on earth did he buy a RHD car then? Cheap I guess ....... now he knows why
Was the car illegally here I guess?
Old May 20th 2008, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Madness as Mitzy says. Why if planning on saying here buy a UK plated car ? There is a street near me up the coast full of UK cars for sale and always get sold, Why ? As these same cars drive round etc for weeks after. Maybe if going home yes but there not.

What i have gathered hundreds maybe thousands drive round illegally and just the few on sites as such now and need to preach the wrongs from right as i do, sometimes to good effect and others to not so good.

You can tell people and they think it is Spain the Police won't care etc, Believe me they do these days and are clamping down hard on it, Seems people i know who still drink drive etc think it is still OK. Guardia catch you half over you have had it FACT.

If you don't carry a licence you banged up as 4 friends found out last week.

IMO the guardia is taking a positive step forward.

John
Old May 20th 2008, 5:36 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple fact is ignorance and misinformed mate.

A lot of the expat 'dealers' I say it losely as when they were in the UK they were doing very different jobs lie thru their teeth about the legalities of UK Plated cars and not only that but the so called 'benefits' too.. "You hardly get stopped by the Police in a UK plated car, nor will you get speeding tickets or have to pay parking fines"

People believe it as they want to believe it, terrible really!

Originally Posted by john1979
Madness as Mitzy says. Why if planning on saying here buy a UK plated car ? There is a street near me up the coast full of UK cars for sale and always get sold, Why ? As these same cars drive round etc for weeks after. Maybe if going home yes but there not.
Old May 20th 2008, 6:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Simple fact is ignorance and misinformed mate.

A lot of the expat 'dealers' I say it losely as when they were in the UK they were doing very different jobs lie thru their teeth about the legalities of UK Plated cars and not only that but the so called 'benefits' too.. "You hardly get stopped by the Police in a UK plated car, nor will you get speeding tickets or have to pay parking fines"

People believe it as they want to believe it, terrible really!
Also now, if you have a for sale sign in your car on the road, there is an 80 € fine and car towed away charge and a trip to the pound to recover it.

But what the hell, it will never happen to me..........or will it.
Old May 20th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Can someone keep me right here please. I have bought a LHD with Uk plates here in the UK on 31st march so that I would have owned it for 6 months before I move to Spain in October, I did this to avoid paying the tax, am I mistaken?
Old May 20th 2008, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda Coyle
Can someone keep me right here please. I have bought a LHD with Uk plates here in the UK on 31st march so that I would have owned it for 6 months before I move to Spain in October, I did this to avoid paying the tax, am I mistaken?
Yes you have to own it personally for 6 months, and also you have to matriculate it within 30 days of residency, or was it 60 .... oh I'm a confuddled person today
Old May 20th 2008, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Oh and its not a tax according to the Spanish, its an import registration fee or something silly like that
Old May 20th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

Thanks mitzy
Old May 20th 2008, 6:55 pm
Banned

advent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down Re: Warning - buying a British registered car

You can use your RHD car in spain,or any other eu country,providing you have a current M.O.T.insurance green card,a valid uk licence.So if you drive to spain stay three months,return to the uk,no problem.The problem is only if you plan to keep your uk R.H.D car in spain permanent.A uk car sticks out like a sore thumb,do yourself a favour,trust me its cheaper in the long run,buy a spanish registered car.Yes a uk car is cheaper,but buyer be aware,possible still on finance,the finance companys have agents working in spain,they will take it off you,as for drink driving,forget it,taxis are cheaper and as a special discount you get to keep your licence??Drink driving is stupid in any country so dont do it.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:06 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by advent7006
You can use your RHD car in spain,or any other eu country,providing you have a current M.O.T.insurance green card,a valid uk licence.
Err ..... No you cant.
Not if you're a Spanish resident
Old May 20th 2008, 7:14 pm
Banned

advent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of lightadvent7006 is a glorious beacon of light

I was speaking in general.How many brits apply to become a spanish resident?My advice still stands if you plan to live in spain,buy a spanish registered car.I bought one with the help of my spanish accountant,all i needed was proof of my address in spain,ie contract for rental of appartment or proof of ownership of house.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that if you are here for more than 183 days in any one year (and these days don't have to be contiguous) then you MUST become resident (for tax purposes).
Old May 20th 2008, 7:30 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by advent7006
I was speaking in general.How many brits apply to become a spanish resident?My advice still stands if you plan to live in spain,buy a spanish registered car.I bought one with the help of my spanish accountant,all i needed was proof of my address in spain,ie contract for rental of appartment or proof of ownership of house.
Err ... well all of them that live here should ..... if you live here it is now a requirement that you become a resident by getting a resident certificate

There are of course two ways of doing things in Spain ..... what seems to be the British way, or the proper way
Old May 20th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

I think thats the brits,toe in the water to test the temperature before jumping in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.