British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   At war again? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/war-again-710009/)

HBG Mar 19th 2011 9:36 pm

At war again?

I was watching Sky News earlier where an American with an impossible number of medals announced in a dead pan voice that their nuclear submarines in the Mediterranean had launched 110 Tomahawk missiles against Libya. I wasn’t surprised and don’t have much of an opinion on the rights or wrongs of the situation.

Spain are in there along with the UK, France and many other Christian nations. Arabs are there too, led by Lebanon of all places.

What did surprise me was the thought of whoever is next? Iran comes to mind, the next big one. I only have around 40 years left before the telegram arrives, and wonder if we’ll still be at war then. The odds aren’t good.

bil Mar 19th 2011 9:54 pm

Re: At war again?

Funniest thing is that the Saudis, who are busy surpressing unrest in Bahrain, are in support of giving Gaddafi a hammering.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 19th 2011 10:23 pm

I notice that Putin's mob, having first abstained from the vote, have now already jumped into Gaddafis camp by criticising the action.
Must think there's something in it for him, if things don't work out.
Birds of a feather, methinks.

Seems to me that once Gadaffi is stopped in his tracks, there could be stalemate for a while, until either the rebels get their act together or gaddafis mercenary rats desert the sinking ship.

HBG Mar 19th 2011 10:46 pm

It reminds of a story, sorry. My wife and I were in a local bar during the Balkan bombings. A Serbian woman was sitting at the next table with her son, a body builder who looked dead nasty.

We were talking about the bombings and I tried to tell my wife to be careful, the Serbian body builder really looked a handful. I tried to be discreet and said to her, ‘Watch what you’re saying, SERB,’ discreetly pointing at the table next door.

She’s a good old Eastender and thought about what I had said for a nano second, before saying in a loud voice, ‘SERB, you mean Serbian.’

I live in such a multi-cultured society which is bound to have Libyans among them . I’m going to buy some sellotape on Monday.

jackytoo Mar 19th 2011 10:55 pm

They haven't learnt from Iraq have they:blink: Wanna bet who will be the baddies next month. Libya will probably finish up with just another nutter in charge. Although Gaddafi is probably insane how do they know the rebels speak for the majority! They killed 31 in Yemen yesterday, will they be next:huh: Just when the UK scrapped the aircraft carrier!

rugbymatt Mar 19th 2011 11:07 pm

I for one hope that he doesn't get toppled, I am absolutely loving his mad ramblings....

HBG Mar 19th 2011 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9251044)
They haven't learnt from Iraq have they:blink: Wanna bet who will be the baddies next month. Libya will probably finish up with just another nutter in charge. Although Gaddafi is probably insane how do they know the rebels speak for the majority! They killed 31 in Yemen yesterday, will they be next:huh: Just when the UK scrapped the aircraft carrier!

Well, the early assessment seems to be that the French have bombed a few Libyan tanks and the Yanks are firing off missiles from out at sea. I was a bit worried when they announced that the French were leading the European response.

My history isn’t great, but I can’t remember the French ever winning a war. It doesn’t bode well.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 19th 2011 11:13 pm

Seems to be keeping his head down today, apart from some incomprehensible ramblings on a dodgy telephone line.

Now this guy could be next for the chop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12796020

jojojojojo Mar 19th 2011 11:18 pm

The UK are bleating on about all the cuts in wages, jobs, public services. How tough these austerity measures are gonna hit everyone and yet they can scrape enough money together to fight a battle that they really dont know anything about and why? No doubt it will backfire on them, innocent people will be killed and maimed just as in Iraq and Afghanistan - Its like the UK is pretending to be a big powerful country and not the pathetic, failing country that it really is! I'm outraged! What the hell is Cameron thinking????

Jo xxx

rugbymatt Mar 19th 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9251086)
the pathetic, failing country that it really is!
Jo xxx

steviedeluxe Mar 19th 2011 11:22 pm

Much as Gadaffi is a nasty piece of work, I do wonder if Cameron and Sarkozy (the two big hawks on this issue) are doing this for purely humanitarian reasons. They won't be doing the same in Bahrein or Saudi, that's for sure. A cynic may feel that Sarkozy needs to regain votes prior to his election, and Dave too may need to build up electoral support as the economy tanks and the Lib Dems fall apart. If this goes well (ie Gadaffi is toppled soon and a decent democracy takes over) expect to see a UK general election by the Autumn.

HBG Mar 19th 2011 11:33 pm

Jo, you’re probably talking for the majority of British people. Government policy is never to disclose the price of war, but common sense dictates it can’t be cheap.

But, what the f**k are we doing in Libya? I’ve just realised what the answer is - digging for oil.

betris Mar 20th 2011 8:30 am

well i say godbless her magistys armed forces.

jojojojojo Mar 20th 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9251673)
well i say godbless her magistys armed forces.

So do I, but what is god and her majesty thinking of to allow this?

Jo xxx

bil Mar 20th 2011 10:00 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9251076)
My history isn’t great, but I can’t remember the French ever winning a war. It doesn’t bode well.

I seem to remember that the French army has won more than it has lost, but I'm damned if I can remember where I read it.

Fredbargate Mar 20th 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9251805)
I seem to remember that the French army has won more than it has lost, but I'm damned if I can remember where I read it.

Isn't it a list on the back of a postage stamp?

HBG Mar 20th 2011 10:19 am

Could this all be a computer game played by some nerds in a bunker in Florida? It can’t be real; Sky News are reporting British fighters making a 3,000 mile round trip to drop bombs, why didn’t they start off from Cyprus? Or Malta?

If it isn’t a computer game, then it’s target practice for a bigger event.

jojojojojo Mar 20th 2011 10:20 am

Does anyone understand why we're doing this??? I know oil must be involved, I've heard that Lybian oil is the best as it doesnt need so much work to clean it up - but is this what its all about??? Are the west sending in "agitators" to cause all these unrests that are happening around the world? Are they simply hoping that the Lybians will rejoice at CGs (cant spell his name lol) demise (should it happen) and let us run their oil fields????? What????

Jo xxx

rugbymatt Mar 20th 2011 10:21 am

I blame the Lizards....

(well I mean, FFS, get a grip people!)

jackytoo Mar 20th 2011 11:55 am

Read in different news sites this morning
The Spanish can't send their aircraft carrier because it's radar system has broken down.
The French one has malfunctioned
The British don't have one.
:rofl:

Can't see it being about oil. Think Libya only has about 3% of the worlds resources:confused: Europe has been getting it anyway, Gaddafi was "onside". Europe has been brown nosing Gaddafi for a few years!

Rosemary Mar 20th 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9251945)
The Spanish can't send their aircraft carrier because it's radar system has broken down.

Can't see it being about oil. Think Libya only has about 3% of the worlds resources:confused: Europe has been getting it anyway, Gaddafi was "onside". Europe has been brown nosing Gaddafi for a few years!

Never quite figured it out but there is that famous photo of Blair and Gaddafi snoggin´ must come into it somewhere.

Graham

jackytoo Mar 20th 2011 1:42 pm

Here is one of Gaddafi's visit to Paris

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-fell-out.html

and his state visit to Spain

http://www.rexfeatures.com/set/720807

johnnyone Mar 20th 2011 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9251086)
Its like the UK is pretending to be a big powerful country and not the pathetic, failing country that it really is! I'm outraged! Jo xxx

So where does that leave Spain, France and most of Europe!

agoreira Mar 20th 2011 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9251945)

Think the French aircraft carrier has spent more time out of service than in service. Is this the one we're going to share? Bodes well!
Europe, especially France and Spain do use quite a lot of Libyan oil. In fact we account for most of it. I've no doubt it is about oil, and whatever we think of dictators like him, we do have to ensure supplies from somewhere, without it we grind to a halt. It's like any business I imagine, you find yourself dealing with some very unpleasant characters, you might not like them, but if they have something you need, you have to grin and bear it. You just don't have to go overboard like that lameculos Blair! :)

While analysts agree that global oil and gas supplies are hardly at risk, as Libya accounts for only 2 percent of world oil output, countries like Italy, France, and Spain relied on Libya in 2010 for as much as 22 percent, 16 percent, and 13 percent of total crude consumption, respectively – a supply not easily replaced on short notice. Europe receives over 85 percent of Libya's crude exports.

Jingsamichty Mar 20th 2011 2:07 pm

It surely can't be too much longer before President Sarkozy surrenders, and Colonel Gaddafi is marching triumphantly up the Champs Elysees.

betris Mar 20th 2011 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9251829)
Does anyone understand why we're doing this??? I know oil must be involved, I've heard that Lybian oil is the best as it doesnt need so much work to clean it up - but is this what its all about??? Are the west sending in "agitators" to cause all these unrests that are happening around the world? Are they simply hoping that the Lybians will rejoice at CGs (cant spell his name lol) demise (should it happen) and let us run their oil fields????? What????

Jo xxx

jo for you to understand you must first understand the new world order.

johnnyone Mar 20th 2011 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9252111)
It surely can't be too much longer before President Sarkozy surrenders, and Colonel Gaddafi is marching triumphantly up the Champs Elysees.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

jackytoo Mar 20th 2011 2:11 pm

Gaddafi was voted President of the UN human rights commission in 2003. The vote was 33 to 3 in his favour....funny old world:D

johnh009 Mar 20th 2011 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9250924)
I was watching Sky News earlier where an American with an impossible number of medals announced in a dead pan voice that their nuclear submarines in the Mediterranean had launched 110 Tomahawk missiles against Libya. I wasn’t surprised and don’t have much of an opinion on the rights or wrongs of the situation.

Spain are in there along with the UK, France and many other Christian nations. Arabs are there too, led by Lebanon of all places.

What did surprise me was the thought of whoever is next? Iran comes to mind, the next big one. I only have around 40 years left before the telegram arrives, and wonder if we’ll still be at war then. The odds aren’t good.

Afganistan must be heading for (or already is) one of the longest campaigns in history. Yet, it only took five years to defeat Nazi Germany and they were a much more effficient outfit.

Rosemary Mar 20th 2011 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 9252133)
Afganistan must be heading for (or already is) one of the longest campaigns in history. Yet, it only took five years to defeat Nazi Germany and they were a much more effficient outfit.

I think that there were a few more soldiers against the nazis. As to Afganistan it might help if we backed our troops with more than words. I do not think that we will ever win in Afganistan as we tend to respect war convensions Russia did not and they could not manage it.
As to Libya it is obviously about oil, any politician that ignores Rwanda can never ever spout on about human rights etc.

Graham.

bil Mar 20th 2011 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by johnh009 (Post 9252133)

Alexander the great couldn't do it.
The British Raj couldn't do it.
The Russians couldn't do it.

Knowing that, only a moron would think they could swan into Afghanistan and conquer it.

betris Mar 20th 2011 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9252157)
I think that there were a few more soldiers against the nazis. As to Afganistan it might help if we backed our troops with more than words. I do not think that we will ever win in Afganistan as we tend to respect war convensions Russia did not and they could not manage it.
As to Libya it is obviously about oil, any politician that ignores Rwanda can never ever spout on about human rights etc.

Graham.

you dont have to win its a hands on training ground.yes its all about oil.but without oil.there would be no medicine.no plastics.no chemicals no food.no utilitys.comunications,transport the list is endless so dont knock what the armed forces are doing to preserve your way of life.show some support for our forces.

rugbymatt Mar 20th 2011 3:00 pm

It always makes me laugh when people whine and bitch about the "Oil Issue", yet they would be the first to whine and bitch about the rise in petrol and food prices the second we lose a reliable supply. f course its about oil, everything on the planet is, so what, if the net result is that people are saved from certain slaughter, as far as I can see its worth it!

jackytoo Mar 20th 2011 3:08 pm

There is no oil in Afganhistan though, only poppies!

rugbymatt Mar 20th 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9252253)

Yes there is.

jackytoo Mar 20th 2011 3:22 pm

I think it's all pie in the sky. It would have been drilled before if it was viable.

betris Mar 20th 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9252253)

afgan is for the oil and gas pipe lines.
the poppy for pain killing medicens

Rosemary Mar 20th 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by betris (Post 9252236)
you dont have to win its a hands on training ground.yes its all about oil.but without oil.there would be no medicine.no plastics.no chemicals no food.no utilitys.comunications,transport the list is endless so dont knock what the armed forces are doing to preserve your way of life.show some support for our forces.

You really are an absolute fool who is totally incapable of reading someone elses post coherently. It should be obvious to even the most argumentative prat that I was behind our troops but against the politicians.
Pleases reread my post and try to make an attempt at understanding if you are capable.

Graham

rugbymatt Mar 20th 2011 3:45 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...n-2053829.html

Rosemary Mar 20th 2011 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9252303)

Ah well. (No pun intended).

Graham