Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Tenerife

Want to move to Tenerife

Old Jul 21st 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

olliesmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move to Tenerife

Hi just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, we want to move to Tenerife, my husband is a panel beater for Mercedes and has 17/18 years experience of the trade and doing an nvq level 3 to complete his skills etc. Is there much call for panel beaters in tenerife, or are we going to really struggle? We were thinking of renting for a while so we can settle in before making a big committment, can anyone help with any advice etc?
Thanks! x
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Tenerife

Originally Posted by olliesmummy
Hi just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, we want to move to Tenerife, my husband is a panel beater for Mercedes and has 17/18 years experience of the trade and doing an nvq level 3 to complete his skills etc. Is there much call for panel beaters in tenerife, or are we going to really struggle? We were thinking of renting for a while so we can settle in before making a big committment, can anyone help with any advice etc?
Thanks! x
Sorry can`t help, but the Spanish beat their own car panels, but usually inwards instead of outwards.
Have you seen Spanish cars ? lol
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! x
Spent some time in teneriffe and to be honest did not see much call for your trade, but to be honest was not looking. Best bit of advice anyone can give you is to do your research, look at where you want to live, A best chance of work, B rental costs, C weather to name just a few. if you have kids you have to consider their education, cost of flights and getting your stuff out there. With any move it is reasearch, research and more research.

The islands are suffering at the moment because people do not have the funds to spend on holiday this has the knock on effect. I love teneriffe and my heart belongs there but practicalities being what they are I have a better chance on the main land at the moment, so the main land here I come. It is very different living on Teneriffe / any of the Island when you have to work, live and survive it is not a holiday but major move.

Good luck with what ever you do, but at the moment if he has a job he may be best staying there and waiting till the crunch is over and if needs be he may find work in other areas.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:35 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! x
Do you both speak Spanish, fluently? If not thats probably a good first step.
What skills do you have? Have you done any research online or anywhere else re this industry on Tenerife? Why Tenerife? Because you have holidayed there and liked it? Just curious.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 5:25 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry can`t help, but the Spanish beat their own car panels, but usually inwards instead of outwards.
Have you seen Spanish cars ? lol
Lived and loved in TF for best part of 10 fantastic years.
Much more to it than most sun-seekers ever see, and also the other Western isles in reach with daily ferries from Los Cris., are beautiful places.

To get back to the panels,I think I lost count of the number of times I had my panels bashed in by the Spanish and then bashed out again by UK panel beaters.
Its a few year since I left, but do recall there were quite a few garages and body repair shops within just a few km.of the Southern airport.
At least one was UK owned and the others had at least a few UK employees.
However as previously mentioned business has more than likely been affected with the recession, so proceed with great caution.

Strangely enough I preferred TF during the last recession, to what it became afterwards.
During the last recession many things stayed constant for quite a while incl.including those ppl.who had stayed on and a few regular watering holes etc.
As things took of again lots of ppl.were on the move and the place was changing fast around me but not always for the better.