Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

want to move to spain

want to move to spain

Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

lewis86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default want to move to spain

Hi I'm young male looking for bar management position in Spain preferably with a person looking to or has just opened a bar I will bring with me a desire to succeed new ideas a niche market that I believe will make the business stand out from the rest but appeal to all nationality. Please contact me with any opportunities
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to move to spain

Originally Posted by lewis86
Hi I'm young male looking for bar management position in Spain preferably with a person looking to or has just opened a bar I will bring with me a desire to succeed new ideas a niche market that I believe will make the business stand out from the rest but appeal to all nationality. Please contact me with any opportunities
Perhaps you could give potential employers here a little more information about yourself, such at age and previous experience.

While I don't want to appear to be negative, there are literally thousands of people looking for that kind of work here in Spain, if you want to get noticed your CV needs to make you stand out from the crowd!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

lewis86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good point my only problem is putting too much detail up. So my cv is available upon request. I'm 25 been working in bars for the past 5years and although I may not have that many years experience I'm very confident of what I have to give to any prospective employer. My reason for wanting to do this in Spain is that I believe there is a niche market to take advantage of and my main goal is to tap into this. I currently live in London and I have become disillusioned by how expensive it is here I am currently working to live every day.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:35 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

have you tried to google for employment at xxxxxx or barwork at xxxxxx
or hotel work at xxxxxxxx ??

you may find some things there, otherwise try googling English papers in Spain and see the small ads there

with 20% and rising amongst Spaniards in the 18-35 age group, as well as people from Eastern and Central Europe moving in you will find the competition fierce.

oh and although it is sunny most of the time, you will find that alot of the bars are seasonal and are closing or reducing hours to cover the reduction in people on holiday.

Spain is a big place, larger than the Uk so you have many places to choose from.

good luck, you will need it - especially if you can't speak Spanish
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

with 20% and rising amongst Spaniards in the 18-35 age group, as well as people from Eastern and Central Europe moving in you will find the competition fierce.
Couple of months ago, 25's and under, unemployment was 46%, 49% for men, I doubt it has gone down.
http://www.datosmacro.com/paro/espan...-25&sc=LAB-25-
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:03 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point about the "niche market", that is usually decided before the place is opened, because the location, decor, prospective clients ect is all done in the planning stage.

Changing from one type of establishment to another is a big risk, it would also be a place that is not doing so great (so employing a manager would be out of the question), because there would be no need for great change otherwise.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

You may not want to hear this but the short answer is NO, I am the optimist and always say "never say never" but to come out here on a wing and a pray at the end of the season looking for a position that many other people are qualified to do is a huge risk. Spain is still very much a who you know country not what you know and to a great extent I have found that it follows through with employees, many of the bars are family run with 3 generations involved in some way.

The couple that come out here to live the dream and run a bar do so together as they can not afford to pay someone to do it as there is just not the footfall, the flexibility and with the local police, town hall and the odd neighbour trying to put you out of business breathing down your neck the last thing you want to do is be paying someone a wage.

Good luck with your quest, try saving up and coming out for an extended holiday and doing some leg work, you may just be lucky but do not bank on getting work just enjoy the holiday and any work is a bonus.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 1:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Couple of months ago, 25's and under, unemployment was 46%, 49% for men, I doubt it has gone down.
http://www.datosmacro.com/paro/espan...-25&sc=LAB-25-
get up in the morning, learn something new, go to bed feeling the day has been worth it and have learnt something

thanks
even if it is worse than most people have been saying
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
You may not want to hear this but the short answer is NO, I am the optimist and always say "never say never" but to come out here on a wing and a pray at the end of the season looking for a position that many other people are qualified to do is a huge risk. Spain is still very much a who you know country not what you know and to a great extent I have found that it follows through with employees, many of the bars are family run with 3 generations involved in some way.

The couple that come out here to live the dream and run a bar do so together as they can not afford to pay someone to do it as there is just not the footfall, the flexibility and with the local police, town hall and the odd neighbour trying to put you out of business breathing down your neck the last thing you want to do is be paying someone a wage.

Good luck with your quest, try saving up and coming out for an extended holiday and doing some leg work, you may just be lucky but do not bank on getting work just enjoy the holiday and any work is a bonus.
Very sensible post, a touch of reality.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 11:58 pm

during the skype call with the BH this evening she told me the bar round the corner, run by nice Spanish lady with very good English, years of experience in hotel and catering in Malaga, very confident, has put up the shutters on her bar after less than a year.

I know it could be a difficult area at this time because of the tram works blocking trade but if the Spanish with experience can't make it work then what chance has a guiri

rgds
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Have recently returned home after a short break at our house in Spain.
Got dragged to a rastro and was surprised by the number of pitchs run by ex-pats selling any and everthing.
Hardly living the life and shows how difficult things can get for some in Spain.
Look before you leap.
Also whilst Spain may be cheaper than Uk, the gap is not that wide and salaries are less.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:41 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The car boot in Fuengirola has at least 50 ex-pats with stalls...living the dreem
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The car boot in Fuengirola has at least 50 ex-pats with stalls...living the dreem
Not my normal stomping grounds, but a few years ago we visited the market by the bullring near Puerto Banus, and the picture that sticks in my mind is a Brit sat on the floor doing crochet. She had some finished articles around her, and despite passing her several times, I never saw anyone show the slightest interest in her products. That was my thought as well, living the dream.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I must buy you an abacas to carry round, it might help with your counting.
I go there every week, the figure is probably nearer 20 including the Germans and Eastern Europeans that speak english out of 300-400 stalls, the rest are Morros, Spanish and pikey fruit sellers and looky looky men with handbags.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.