Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Want to move - Need advice

Want to move - Need advice

Old Oct 26th 2006, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Danny-K is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Want to move - Need advice

We have been thinking about moving for quite some time now and we have decided that this year we have to make our minds out.

We are a family of 4. Two kids, Amie, aged 9 and Leo aged 5, my wife, an accountant and I am currently a Systems Analyst working for an IT company.
I grew up in South America so I speak fluent Spanish. My kids understand the language because I speak to them in it all the time, however, they are a bit lazy when it comes to answering.

We want to move to Spain because we consider that the most important thing that we can wish in live is a to have a strong, united and happy family. This can only be achieved by spending time together as a family. For the past four years we managed to achieve this in the UK because both my wife and myself work form home. However this is not going to last for much longer. My wife job is on the line and there is no chance she will be able to get a part time job working from home. Which in terms it means that we will not be able to keep the life style we and in particular the children, are enjoying.
We know that it will be impossible to achieve this if we stay. Also, there is the constantly social disintegration of family values in this country and also the growing difficulties to be able to provide a better and secure future for our children.
We choose Spain,
a. Because its family orientated family life style
b. The general quality of life
c. The fact that the children and I speak the language
d. It is not far from my wife's extended family in Ireland
e. Financially, it looks like we will be better off.
f. It is, as far as we saw, a very beautiful country

However, the consensus is to move only if we can improve on what we have and can achieve a better live.
The children go to a very good school. They are doing extremely good and managed to create a very good circle of friends. I know, even from my own personal experience, that children adapt quickly.

By now, you are probably asking yourself, what does this guy wants from us? It looks as if he already knows it all!
The reality is that we think we had covered most issues, but we need to hear from people that did it. We need to have a better idea of every day life, cost, social aspects such as adaptation and integration to the local community, etc.
Education is perhaps the stickiest point. We would like to know how the system works but from people experiences and not from the government offices perspective.
Also, how do you deal with the fact that you have to have an address before applying for the school place round March April, when we can only move after they finish their current year in mid July, only then we will have a place.

Is anybody leaving near Oliva / Gandia. I am coming over on the 6th of November to do a work trial for a week and will be staying in the area.
I would most appreciate it if you could meet for a brief chat one evening over a drink or coffee or even a meal. What ever and where ever is convenient?

Please Help!!!

Last edited by jdr; Oct 26th 2006 at 11:53 am. Reason: Remove email address to stop you being spammed, they can contact you by clicking your username.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to move - Need advice

I would advice you to think realistically about what your financial situation would be in Spain. You will probably find that salaries are significantly lower than in the UK. If job satisfaction and professional growth is important to you, keep in mind that as a tech person it will be hard to find the professional standards you are probably used to. Try to talk to people who came here to work as professionals, as opposed to retirees.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
I would advice you to think realistically about what your financial situation would be in Spain. You will probably find that salaries are significantly lower than in the UK. If job satisfaction and professional growth is important to you, keep in mind that as a tech person it will be hard to find the professional standards you are probably used to. Try to talk to people who came here to work as professionals, as opposed to retirees.
Thank you DrStarsky
I am more concerned about schools and the practical issues about moving.
want to hear about people experiences, tips, and facts. Not about ideas and telling me about research, because this is exactly what I am doing.
I am not concerned about work, because I will be taking the job with me and also, one of the reasons to move is because I want to get out of this British Madness of 'Professional Growth' and 'Career Development'. I want a quite life enjoying my the growth and development of my kids.

I want to hear about people leaving in villages, in rural Spain, in small towns (pueblitos), etc.

Can you help?

Where do you leave? Did you have small children when you moved? If so, how did you deal with sorting out their education?

Thanks

Danny
Old Oct 26th 2006, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Danny-K
Thank you DrStarsky
I am more concerned about schools and the practical issues about moving.
want to hear about people experiences, tips, and facts. Not about ideas and telling me about research, because this is exactly what I am doing.
I am not concerned about work, because I will be taking the job with me and also, one of the reasons to move is because I want to get out of this British Madness of 'Professional Growth' and 'Career Development'. I want a quite life enjoying my the growth and development of my kids.

I want to hear about people leaving in villages, in rural Spain, in small towns (pueblitos), etc.

Can you help?

Where do you leave? Did you have small children when you moved? If so, how did you deal with sorting out their education?

Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny,
you seem to have the financial situation under control, that's great for you. I live in Barcelona and don't have kids, so my situation is different than yours. In Catalunya an important issue to consider about education would be language, since public schools are almost entirely in Catalan (Castellano is treated basically as a foreign language). I have colleagues who send their kids to private school for this very reason. I don't know to what extent this applies to the Comunidad Valenciana, but I would think education in Castellano is more accessible than in Catalunya. In any event it's an issue you may want to look into (sorry I can't be more specific).
Good luck with your decision.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 8:57 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I don't personally have kids but have friends who moved here with 2 who were then about the same age as yours are now. I think it varies from area to area and will depend on the popularity of the school of course, but my friends didn't enrol their kids until a couple of weeks before the school year started. They "got round" the address bit (they were living in a caravan at the time!) by empadronamiento-ing themselves to my address until they got a rental contract. You have such an advantage being already able to speak Spanish as do your kids! Good luck.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Want to move - Need advice

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Hi. I don't personally have kids but have friends who moved here with 2 who were then about the same age as yours are now. I think it varies from area to area and will depend on the popularity of the school of course, but my friends didn't enrol their kids until a couple of weeks before the school year started. They "got round" the address bit (they were living in a caravan at the time!) by empadronamiento-ing themselves to my address until they got a rental contract. You have such an advantage being already able to speak Spanish as do your kids! Good luck.
Thank you for the tip Hillybilly
I have spoken with another couple last night that moved about 4 years ago and they seem to be very happy. They also suggested not to worry too much about enrolment to the local school as there are good chances, particularly in rural areas that there will be places even after they start the year.Their kids started at the end of October and managed pretty well.

Can you tell me a bit more about your move, the area you are, costs, social live, etc? You were saying that your kids were the same age as ours. Is the eldest in secondary school now? how did the transition go? This is one of our main concerns as I know that by the time kids get to secondary education, they already have their little circle of friend, well at least in the UK. Is it the same over there?

Thank you once again and please keep those tips coming
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Want to move - Need advice

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
Hi Danny,
you seem to have the financial situation under control, that's great for you. I live in Barcelona and don't have kids, so my situation is different than yours. In Catalunya an important issue to consider about education would be language, since public schools are almost entirely in Catalan (Castellano is treated basically as a foreign language). I have colleagues who send their kids to private school for this very reason. I don't know to what extent this applies to the Comunidad Valenciana, but I would think education in Castellano is more accessible than in Catalunya. In any event it's an issue you may want to look into (sorry I can't be more specific).
Good luck with your decision.
Hi Dr Starsky
We thought about Barcelona. We really like Catalonia but decided against it precisely because of the language issue. From our experience visiting Valencia for many years now, I got by just by speaking spanish. With regards o the kids education in Valenciano, it is not a real issue, in fact, it will be better to learn the local language as this will help them in the future. The only problem is that being in primary education, I feel that it is important to be able, as parents, to support and help with homework. It will be difficult to do it without the language.

I will appreciate any other tips, and help with the research, websites links, other forums, etc...

Thank you once again for your comments

Danny
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Sorry Hillybilly
I just realised that the kids you mention in your entry are not yours!!
Thank you anyway for your input and please feel free to pass on my details to your friends. I will welcome any comments and suggestions they may have.

Danny
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny-K
Hi Dr Starsky
We thought about Barcelona. We really like Catalonia but decided against it precisely because of the language issue. From our experience visiting Valencia for many years now, I got by just by speaking spanish. With regards o the kids education in Valenciano, it is not a real issue, in fact, it will be better to learn the local language as this will help them in the future. The only problem is that being in primary education, I feel that it is important to be able, as parents, to support and help with homework. It will be difficult to do it without the language.

I will appreciate any other tips, and help with the research, websites links, other forums, etc...

Thank you once again for your comments

Danny

My kids are taught in both Castellano & Valenciano. I speak castellano, though not fluently, but am able to help them. Many kids manage ok though without help from their parents at all, since (unfortunately) so many parents here simply don't bother to learn.
I have just started teaching maths & english to english kids (maths in castellano), and the mum of one of the kids asked if I might be able help her older son, who is having trouble with maths at the Instituto (upper school). He studies maths in Valenciano I said I'd try, though I don't speak Valenciano, and his is limited as he's only been learning it since January.
I was amazed at how easy it is..........& how much I have picked up in the 3 years I've been here, partly through trying to help my own girls.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

As a teacher, I would just like to say that I think the most important thing in a child's education is a stable and happy family and if that is created better in Spain than in England, move! Put yourselves first because where you both are happy, it will be in the interest of the kids too. Your older child is at a good age to move having had a good groundwork of English language yet has not reached the stroppy teens where problems of integration can creep in. I would strongly advise you though to look at giving extra English lessons to the 5 year old if you do move. I see too many very young children brought out here and they learn Spanish quickly, written and oral, but forget their basic written English skills unless helped at home. That creates serious problems if they ever return to the UK and is something often overlooked by parents. Parents worry about their children picking up Spanish, but not enough about them losing their written English which is much harder to rectify.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

Sue-Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lis48
As a teacher, I would just like to say that I think the most important thing in a child's education is a stable and happy family and if that is created better in Spain than in England, move! Put yourselves first because where you both are happy, it will be in the interest of the kids too. Your older child is at a good age to move having had a good groundwork of English language yet has not reached the stroppy teens where problems of integration can creep in. I would strongly advise you though to look at giving extra English lessons to the 5 year old if you do move. I see too many very young children brought out here and they learn Spanish quickly, written and oral, but forget their basic written English skills unless helped at home. That creates serious problems if they ever return to the UK and is something often overlooked by parents. Parents worry about their children picking up Spanish, but not enough about them losing their written English which is much harder to rectify.

Yes I have heard the same that children easily forget their English, so I am taking over to spain a selection of English books to encourage our son aged 11 to read English as well as Spanish. We want him to be bilingual, and be able to read and write in both. We are moving to Spain 2007 and our sons education was one of our issues. having taken lots of advice we have decided to put him in the local state school so that he will integrate easier into local life.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Dizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant future

Hi Danny

Just emailed you in response to your email......

Hope you get it, as just realised your coming over 6th November....

Anyway speak soon

Mich
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Dizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant futureDizzy Mich has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lynnxa
My kids are taught in both Castellano & Valenciano. I speak castellano, though not fluently, but am able to help them. Many kids manage ok though without help from their parents at all, since (unfortunately) so many parents here simply don't bother to learn.
I have just started teaching maths & english to english kids (maths in castellano), and the mum of one of the kids asked if I might be able help her older son, who is having trouble with maths at the Instituto (upper school). He studies maths in Valenciano I said I'd try, though I don't speak Valenciano, and his is limited as he's only been learning it since January.
I was amazed at how easy it is..........& how much I have picked up in the 3 years I've been here, partly through trying to help my own girls.

Hi Lynnxa,

We moved to Oliva in June. We have a son who is 3 and a half who started school in September. They talk to him in Valenciano and we are trying to learn Castellion...my husband has just started classes as our online spanish course was good but we just were not motivated enough to do it at 9.30pm - we need to be pushed !! Altho desperate to speak Spanish if that makes sense. Ed's gunna impart all he learns to mre as we can not afford for both of us to have lessons.

Anyway sorry my question is where do you live in Valencia....?
And do you know where we can get books to teach and help him with Valenciano.. ?
We have ordered Spanish books etc and tapes and bought him and Issy his 2 year old sister books in Spanish....oooooo we are so worried...... the kids love it but we are beating ourselves up as can not speak fluently and really really want to !!

Any help and advice greatly received
Old Oct 29th 2006, 11:22 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lis48
............ I would strongly advise you though to look at giving extra English lessons to the 5 year old if you do move. I see too many very young children brought out here and they learn Spanish quickly, written and oral, but forget their basic written English skills unless helped at home. That creates serious problems if they ever return to the UK and is something often overlooked by parents. Parents worry about their children picking up Spanish, but not enough about them losing their written English which is much harder to rectify.

I would recommend that you let the 5 year old get to grips with the spanish for a year or so...after all, the education will be in spanish.
I've found with my now 7 year old, who could read & write a little when she started at Spanish school, that her english reading & writing has improved along with her spanish, even though I decided not to teach her any english at all!
Conversely, a friend of mine who has a daughter more or less the same age really pushed her to keep up her english - with the result that she is now completely confused & can barely read in either language, and certainly her spoken spanish is way behind my daughters
Old Oct 29th 2006, 11:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Sue-Tom
Yes I have heard the same that children easily forget their English, so I am taking over to spain a selection of English books to encourage our son aged 11 to read English as well as Spanish. We want him to be bilingual, and be able to read and write in both. We are moving to Spain 2007 and our sons education was one of our issues. having taken lots of advice we have decided to put him in the local state school so that he will integrate easier into local life.
My 10 year old reads equally well in English & spanish after being in the spanish system since she was 8, although I haven't really pushed her to keep up her english. She is truly bilingual. At you son's age it's definately a good idea to encourage him with English books

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.