Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Waether in Maella area - Aragon

Waether in Maella area - Aragon

Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

divv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waether in Maella area - Aragon

Hi all. As you can see - 1st post so "Hello".
I am trying to find a place in Spain with warm weather and preferably not too much wind.
I have read about Costa Tropica in another thread here but I also wondered if anyone on this forum can give me 1st-hand information concerning the Maella area in Aragon. (I suspect my budget may not stretch far enough for CT).
Various estate agents punt this as having a warm micro-climate but (1) I take anything from an estate agent with a pinch of salt and (2) it doesn't answer the wind question.
Incidentally I have also had Asturias recommended to me but from what I can see it has relatively few hours of sunlight a day which is a serious "off-put" for me - as background I have lived in South Africa most of my life so I am used to LOTS of sunshine.
Anyone who can give some info on any of these points - thanks in advance!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:10 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waether in Maella area - Aragon

Hi - you're looking at completely different areas.

I don't know about the specific area of Maella, but if you're looking for a warm winter (or at least a mild one) Aragon would be one of the last places I could recommend. Yes, you can have hot summers there, but winters can be bitterly cold. Of course Maella could be an exception... Also, Aragon is stunningly beatifull, but very Brits go to live there, as there is no coastline!

As for Asturias (and the rest of the north coast), yes, it rains more. You can also get sunshine all day long, especially in a good summer spell, but on the whole it's more changeable.The climate is perhaps similar to that of Cornwall in the UK, if a little warmer. Inland (because of the mountains) you get greater variations.

If you're looking for a cheaper place to live, with lots of sunshine (and don't mind the lack of coast or English-speakers) try towns/villages in places like Extremadura, Castilla-La Mancha and Castilla-Leon. But you'll also find the winters here can be cold.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Mar 6th 2011 at 1:13 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Steve.
Thanks for the reply.
I realise I lumped two completely different areas into my 1st post - sorry.
I will look into the areas you mention - although can you please clarify - how cold is "cold" in your description?
Thanks!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by divv
Hi Steve.
Thanks for the reply.
I realise I lumped two completely different areas into my 1st post - sorry.
I will look into the areas you mention - although can you please clarify - how cold is "cold" in your description?
Thanks!
if you look around this website http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...maella%20spain you can find the weather history & seasonal averages for Maella

by using the search facility you can look at almost anywhere!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks lynnxa. I can't find anything about wind - am I missing it or does the site not have that info?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks lynnxa. I can't find anything about wind - am I missing it or does the site not have that info?
not sure if it gives wind history - but it does have current wind conditions usually
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you look around this website http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...maella%20spain you can find the weather history & seasonal averages for Maella

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...n&lastyear=off

by using the search facility you can look at almost anywhere!!
Originally Posted by lynnxa
not sure if it gives wind history - but it does have current wind conditions usually
If you open the first link lynnxa gave, then click "Stats for this date", then at the bottom of that box click "View more history data".

At the top of the new page you have the date which can be changed,+ the option to view daily / weekly / monthly data. Scroll down to see all the data including wind.

Also in the search box at the top of the page you can enter any location worldwide

Last edited by Fredbargate; Mar 6th 2011 at 4:02 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

@Fredbargate - somehow I didn't get notified of your very useful response and only saw it now by accident.
Thank you very much that was most helpful - also to the other posters for their input!!!
Diane
Old Mar 13th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

Having lived in the beautiful city of Zaragoza for 3 years, and having travelled across Aragon, I can confirm it can get bloody cold in the winters. Regularly dropping below freezing at christmas time (it is only an hour to the ski slopes!!) and being windy (check out the cierzo) until about april. However lovely and hot in the summer, and as someone has already said, very Spanish with not many ex-pats.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Windy and cold winters - NOT my idea of fun. I have now moved my area of search to the Axarquis/Costa Tropical area!!
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:11 am
Just Joined

oghamtree is an unknown quantity at this point

[The weather in the region of maella can reach extremes of up to 45 c in the summer and minus 15c in the winter. depending on where you live in the campo depends on how much wind. This region is still cheap to buy but i reccommend that you be very careful with whom u buy property through here as there is a english and spanish duo who are ripping alot of people off here.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

oghamtree is an unknown quantity at this point

The weather in the region of maella can reach extremes of up to 45 c in the summer and minus 15c in the winter. depending on where you live in the campo depends on how much wind. This region is still cheap to buy but i reccommend that you be very careful with whom u buy property through here as there is a english and spanish duo who are ripping alot of people off here.
Old May 28th 2012, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

mimi855559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please give further details re English and Spanish ripping people off. We are about to complete with an English and Spanish estate agent!
Old May 28th 2012, 11:11 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend Aragon to anyone as a place to live.
The temperature range is much as described with extreme highs and lows.
Add to that it has more than its fair share of wind, the massive number of wind turbines up there are testimony to that, so consider the likely chill factor resulting from a combination of lows in the -15 to -20 region, combined with a howling gale, no picnic at all.
I somehow drove across in an early February snowstorm with a never ending stream of snowploughs valiantly managing to keep one lane just about open, though it was filling back in almost as quickly as they cleared it.

Much better close to the coastal regions,which are naturally at a much lower level that the high plateau of Aragon.
I would suggest no more than 25 kms from the coast and no more than 250mts above sea level to be reasonably comfortable.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Windy and cold winters - NOT my idea of fun. I have now moved my area of search to the Axarquis/Costa Tropical area!!
I live in the capital of the Axarquia, and although we don't get the real extremes of temperature that some areas do, it does still get relatively cold in winter and can be windy sometimes - there was a thread on here not long ago about the gales people were experiencing that went on for weeks. Where I live is 4km inland, we rarely get summer temperatures over 40C or daytime winter temperatures under 12C. On a very few nights I have known temperatures go down to around 2C. The problem is that once you become accustomed to the hot summers, you start to feel cold at much higher temperatures than you previously would have. Anything less than 20C feels chilly to me now.

And the villages of the Axarquia which are further inland and at much higher altitude gets much colder than it does down at or near the coast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.