Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vodafone ADSL with VOIP adapter

Vodafone ADSL with VOIP adapter

Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

blueplatinum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vodafone ADSL with VOIP adapter

I have been with Movistar ADSL for the last 11 months and have enjoyed a discount of €21 every month for the first 12 months. I phoned them up to see if they would extend the offer because there are so many great deals around just now from other providers but they refused

I have been offered a fantastic deal by Vodaphone which is €15 line rental plus €11.20 per month for internet. It uses the existing Movistar line and promises the same speed (I get about 2Meg) although the contacted maximum is 6 Meg. You get free landline calls 24/7, free mobile calls weekends and festivos and free calls to Vodfones 24/7 until June 2012. You also get three days mobile internet free every month.

The system uses Voice Over IP (VOIP) which means that your landline phone plugs into a socket on the back of the router not directly into the phone line.

This all sounds fantastic. I will be saving abour €29 per month. A lot of money.

The only caveat for me is that I use a VOIP adapter with DrayTel (same technology as Sipgate) with a UK number in conjunction with my landline connection. I do not want to commit to the 18 month contract until I can be sure this will continue to work. I would therefore like to know if anyone on the forum has this system and has successfully got it to work with a SIP VOIP adapter.

Many thanks
Old Oct 19th 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Re: Vodafone ADSL with VOIP adapter

Don't get involved with Vodafone - their so called "customer services" are a nightmare!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished a Vodafone contract and NEVER EVER again

petew they don't have customer service, they have a phone number were they insult your intelligence.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueplatinum
The only caveat for me is that I use a VOIP adapter with DrayTel (same technology as Sipgate) with a UK number in conjunction with my landline connection. I do not want to commit to the 18 month contract until I can be sure this will continue to work. I would therefore like to know if anyone on the forum has this system and has successfully got it to work with a SIP VOIP adapter.

Many thanks
I have this system (Draytel), but of course it is running through a movistar router linked to an iPhone. That doesnt help much, does it ... sorry.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

petew they don't have customer service, they have a phone number were they insult your intelligence.
But does the system itself work OK ?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

But does the system itself work OK ?
Yes the system worked.
However it soon slowed down and then the problems began.
Everything was my or my computers fault.

On my original Telefonica setup I had a download speed of 6mbs, a month or so into Vodacrap it was down to 2 mbs.
When they told me it was problems with my computer I took it and connected it to a friends Telefonica line and it still downloaded at 6 mbs.
In fact I had 3 computers and all gave the same result but Vodacrap still insisted it was my fault.
They have to be the worst company in Spain which is an achievement when you consider the qualities of Telefonica etc.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Vodafone ADSL with VOIP adapter

Are you sure it has ended! I was with Vodafone for this service and it was working fine, after 6 weeks they decided to take it way since I did not have a land line. I had repeatedly told them at the outset that there were no wires in the pavement box at my gate!

They continued to make monthly charges after they had terminated the contract. I got my bank to repatriate the money twice then I found it is almost impossible to end a DD in Spain. I had to work with my bank manger to put a stop on the DD by reducing the amount of money they could take to 1€. The bu**ers then took 70c I could not believe it!!! I had that repatriated and I am not aware of any more attempts to put their hand in my pocket. It has been a year now but you never know.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Are you sure it has ended! I was with Vodafone for this service and it was working fine, after 6 weeks they decided to take it way since I did not have a land line. I had repeatedly told them at the outset that there were no wires in the pavement box at my gate!

They continued to make monthly charges after they had terminated the contract. I got my bank to repatriate the money twice then I found it is almost impossible to end a DD in Spain. I had to work with my bank manger to put a stop on the DD by reducing the amount of money they could take to 1€. The bu**ers then took 70c I could not believe it!!! I had that repatriated and I am not aware of any more attempts to put their hand in my pocket. It has been a year now but you never know.
John I've sold the house and will shortly close the bank account.

I have been trying to change my Movistar contract mobile to PAYG retaining the same number so I don't leave any bills but have the use of the phone until I make my move.
Rang them 20/9 told 15 days
Rang them 13/10 told 48 hrs
Rang them this morning and the girl said don't worry they can't charge you if you close the bank account but it should be changed today.
We will see.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Yes the system worked.
However it soon slowed down and then the problems began.
Everything was my or my computers fault.

On my original Telefonica setup I had a download speed of 6mbs, a month or so into Vodacrap it was down to 2 mbs.
When they told me it was problems with my computer I took it and connected it to a friends Telefonica line and it still downloaded at 6 mbs.
In fact I had 3 computers and all gave the same result but Vodacrap still insisted it was my fault.
They have to be the worst company in Spain which is an achievement when you consider the qualities of Telefonica etc.
Was this recent ? Are you still with Vodafone ?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was this recent ? Are you still with Vodafone ?
It was an 18 month contract, the last payment was taken early this month and I will be closing the bank account hopefully before the end of the month.

At present I am using a Carrefour dongle until I leave Spain.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Well, for anyone who is interested, I contracted the Vodafone ADSL. If all you want is internet and fixed phone then it is fantastic.

Movistar switched me off immediately ("bad grapes") but because VF give you free access to both internet and calls using their mobile network until the line activates this was not a problem. Once the line was activated the router (which was given to me in the shop) self configured beautifully and everything worked immediately.

The only problem is if you want to do anything "non-standard". In my case, I want to use a different router (for various good reasons) but so far I have been unable to get the VOIP parameters from VF to configure the landline. This is partly due to poorly informed VF support staff (but as I said, what I want to do is "non-standard") and partly due to my reluctance to phone them for language reasons.

Summary: If you want ADSL with landline, this is a good option (in my experience so far).
Old Dec 19th 2011, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they don't have customer service, they have a phone number where they insult your intelligence.

The only problem is if you want to do anything "non-standard". In my case, I want to use a different router (for various good reasons) but so far I have been unable to get the VOIP parameters from VF to configure the landline. This is partly due to poorly informed VF support staff (but as I said, what I want to do is "non-standard") and partly due to my reluctance to phone them for language reasons.
18 months ago " customer service " spoke English but they stopped it.
Probably because the English asked difficult questions
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

I had awful trouble when I tried to move from Movistar to Vodafone for voice and ADSL. It's too long a story and too stressful to relate. Suffice to say their English speaking 'support' was utterly useless and it was almost a pleasure to be reconnected to Movistar!