Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visiting south Spain next month,eyeing a possible permanent move soon

Visiting south Spain next month,eyeing a possible permanent move soon

Old May 1st 2016, 10:42 am
Just Joined

dudave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting south Spain next month,eyeing a possible permanent move soon

Hello everyone, my name is David, i live in the UK with my wife and 1 year old child, we are thinking to move soon, we are just not sure where to, but we decided to start by visiting south Spain for a week next month, just to check some places and see if it could be for us.

We are going to stay in east costa del sol, not very far from Nerja, and we would be very thankful if you could point us at places worth seeing, especially potential towns or villages which you think would be a nice place to live in.

I also have a few questions, as we where thinking about Algarve as an option as well, but it seemed so hard to find a long term rental there (at least on the internet), on the other hand the costa del sol seem to have a lot to offer a lot of long term rentals at great prices, especially a little inland, it seems like a budget of 500-700 euros for a 3 beds villa with pool is realistic, is it really the case? does the rent usually includes the pool maintenance?

Thanks in advance

David
Old May 4th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting south Spain next month,eyeing a possible permanent move soon

You could look at the western Andalucía - ie Costa De La Luz west of Huelva. It is sometimes known as the Spanish Algarve as it is the continuation of the same coastline. You can get the best of both countries if you have a property close to the border. The 1 hour difference in time zone means you can enjoy 2 breakfasts at the same time .

Have a look for properties around Ayamonte.
Old May 4th 2016, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting south Spain next month,eyeing a possible permanent move soon

Originally Posted by dudave
it seems like a budget of 500-700 euros for a 3 beds villa with pool is realistic
In my experience, a 3 bed villa with a pool will start at around 1,000 euros per month on the Costa del sol, and be closer to 2,000 euros per month if within a few kms of the coast

You can get a terraced house with a shared pool from around 700 euros per month
Old May 4th 2016, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you need to work?
Old May 4th 2016, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Do you need to work?
No, my work is done online so anywhere with a good internet connection will do.
Old May 5th 2016, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

You need to do some homework on Spanish broadband, it ranges from awfully slow to very good but also expensive compared to UK prices.

If your working in Spain, online or not you are part of the 'system' and will be required to put your share of €'s into the economy.
Old May 5th 2016, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bob_bob
You need to do some homework on Spanish broadband, it ranges from awfully slow to very good but also expensive compared to UK prices.

If your working in Spain, online or not you are part of the 'system' and will be required to put your share of €'s into the economy.
Thank you, yes i am aware that i will need to pay Spanish taxes, not sure how much exactly.

Regarding broadband, i will indeed do my homework before signing a contract on a house as i must have a fast connection, i didn't know you could be stuck in a place with an awful connection without the option to get a better one though.