Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visiting Marbella in the summer - what to do?

Visiting Marbella in the summer - what to do?

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Marbella in the summer - what to do?

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you haven't noticed, youth unemployment is at 53% in Spain

And its well been known that young people in Spain have no money. When we were young and childless we were ignored in the shops, but when we went with my wife's parents the shop assistants were jumping all over us.

If you look around on a Sunday you will see that people are out eating with their extended family, and there will be at least someone amongst them who will be able to pay for it (usually the oldest male), strength in numbers!
We were talking about Marbella, C-Man ... another world.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:03 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I wouldnt agree

Marbella is first and foremost a Spanish city that happens to have a lot of tourists visit it. Despite being bankrupt, it is fairly clean and well kept, has a nice old town and a beautiful long seafront where you can walk the 7km between Marbella and Puerto Banus. Marbella is actually more Spanish that a lot of the CDS too, although there are plenty of international restaurants as well as Spanish ones.

There are many more interesting cities in Spain and better beaches, but Marbella is way nicer than the rest of the CDS which is fairly grotty.

As a family, you can visit Ronda and Malaga city which are both great, Fuengirola zoo (or bioparc as they now call it) is small but very nice.

I have no idea what a "family friendly" restaurant is, all restaurants in Spain are family friendly, that's what they are there for!
i so agree, most people who run down Marbella don't know it at all. It is not all Banus, that's just a suburb! 70% of residents are Spanish and it is a working town too. very few "package" holidaymakers, they just visit during the day. Ok. not my scene anymore but if I was returning to the CDS it would still be my choice.

For the OP there is quite a large market on Mondays and it is not so tacky as some. Quality shops in Banus, different world in the day.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:53 pm
Old hand

Larana is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, thanks for the replies. I'll look forward to being there. In for a penny in for a pound.