Reload this Page >

Visiting family in spain 30weeks pregnant

Visiting family in spain 30weeks pregnant

Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Pug2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting family in spain 30weeks pregnant

Hi all

I am planning to visit spain to visit all my family next week to chill out in my last weeks of pregnancy I will be renting a villa mazarron area,I may stay here until baby is born an a while after upto 3 months

My husband works in oil and gas so I won't be looking for any employment or benefits, any appointments needed whilst here will be paid for privately

Can any one help with the hospital procedure and costs? Will ehic cover or should I obtain s1 form?

Thank you
Old Apr 19th 2014, 3:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting family in spain 30weeks pregnant

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 19th 2014, 4:55 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pug2014
Hi all

I am planning to visit spain to visit all my family next week to chill out in my last weeks of pregnancy I will be renting a villa mazarron area,I may stay here until baby is born an a while after upto 3 months

My husband works in oil and gas so I won't be looking for any employment or benefits, any appointments needed whilst here will be paid for privately

Can any one help with the hospital procedure and costs? Will ehic cover or should I obtain s1 form?

Thank you
I can't see how the EHIC will cover you as it is only for emergencies - which this is not.

The S1 form may not be available any more, the DWP were talking of stopping it at the end of March.

I think you need private medical cover.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=828287

It's advice on EHIC from the British Embassy

The EHIC covers "necessary care" not just emergency care. Interestingly all care to do with pregnancy is defined by the EU as "necessary care" as long as the overseas stay is not solely for the purpose of the pregnancy/birth.
If you are travelling to have your baby then you may need to complete form S2.

Likewise chemotherapy and other cancer treatment is often covered by the EHIC (as long as you make arrangements in advance)
The only drawback might be how much notice the local medical facility takes of the EU guidelines - state hospitals should observe them but private hospitals may not - and it is sometimes not always clear that you are in a private facility until you get the bill!

More useful info can be found via British Embassy healthcare team link on the thread.

Last edited by MikeJ; Apr 19th 2014 at 5:31 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 9:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought it would be uncomfortably hot to be pregnant in Spain during summer.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Visiting family .... can they not find out and arrange all the necessary things for giving birth in Spain. I know nothing about it but guess it would be wise to have the birth plan in place for a stress free, safe as possible birth of your child. If you are thinking of staying on does that mean the child will need to be registered in Spain also? Me personally would not have travelled far at that stage, was too uncomfortable.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 6:51 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that you would like to give birth in a country where you don't understand the language ?
( I assume)

Would not it be better to be going back to your own home when discharged from hospital?

Would it not be better to have a family member stay with you in the UK to support you during the birth and settling in with the baby?

The logistics of bringing over all your baby stuff, and then having to get it all back to the UK, will be an added hurdle.

so IMO it is easier for Mohammed to go to the mountain, instead of the other way round.

The summers can be hell in Spain, and being heavily pregnant, as already pointed out by the Captain's,Wench, would be tough.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pug2014
Hi all

Thank you
if you get an S1 still, then get one, though as snikpoh said they won't be issuing them much longer - if indeed they are still issuing them

the EHIC would cover you for all necessary care for the pregnancy - but after you've been here 90 days you will be considered resident in Spain so your EHIC will more than likely be refused - it's only for holidays & you won't 'officially' be on holiday after 90 days - so you'd need either the S1 or private insurance by then

tbh it would be a paperwork nightmare as well, to have the baby born in Spain if you aren't planning to be a long term/permanent resident here
Old Apr 20th 2014, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you get an S1 still, then get one, though as snikpoh said they won't be issuing them much longer - if indeed they are still issuing them

the EHIC would cover you for all necessary care for the pregnancy - but after you've been here 90 days you will be considered resident in Spain so your EHIC will more than likely be refused - it's only for holidays & you won't 'officially' be on holiday after 90 days - so you'd need either the S1 or private insurance by then

tbh it would be a paperwork nightmare as well, to have the baby born in Spain if you aren't planning to be a long term/permanent resident here
I would rely on the advice from the British Embassy (qv) - and their health line - rather than some misleading opinions. viz
  • EHIC is not just for holidays and emergencies.
  • The form advised for pregnancy abroad is S2 (not S1)
  • Holidays may be more than 90 days
  • EHIC can cover people posted or seconded for indefinite periods
  • Residency does not depend on how long you are in a country (although tax liability does)
    etc
Old Apr 20th 2014, 1:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I would rely on the advice from the British Embassy (qv) - and their health line - rather than some misleading opinions. viz
  • Residency does not depend on how long you are in a country (although tax liability does)
    etc
Can you please provide a link to this information as I think it contradicts information provided by Spain. For example, yes a holiday can be for more than 90 days but after that period you are considered resident in Spain and they MAY NOT allow the use of an EHIC.

Quote from their site;

It (EHIC) also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, as long as you're not going abroad to give birth.

Last edited by snikpoh; Apr 20th 2014 at 1:38 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

etc
from the UKinSpain website https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-in-spain

The UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is valid for holidaymakers and temporary visitors who need to use the state health system while in another EU country.
Planned treatment

The EHIC does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment. If this is the case you must apply for form S2 from your local NHS Trust.
Pregnancy isn't 'planned treatment' - planned treatment is when your doctor in the UK refers you to another country for an operation, for example. The OP isn't travelling for the express purpose of medical treatment - she is visiting family & happens to be pregnant

'Holidays' may well be more than 90 days - but as far as Spain is concerned you are resident after 90 days & expected to register. If they suspect you live here they will refuse the EHIC

your point about secondment is correct (eg students) - however doesn't appear to apply to the OP

edit - did just find this though http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...vingbirth.aspx

If you want to give birth in another EEA country or Switzerland, you will need a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover you for routine medical care and an S2 form to cover the birth itself.

Generally, you should contact NHS England if you plan to have medical treatment in Europe. However, to apply for an S2 covering maternity care, you need to write to the Overseas Healthcare Team in Newcastle explaining why you want care outside the UK and enclosing the following information:
but it's by no means certain that the UK would agree to issue the S2 - & there's still the issue that after 90 days the OP would be considered a resident of Spain

Last edited by lynnxa; Apr 20th 2014 at 3:14 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:32 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
from the UKinSpain website https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-in-spain

Pregnancy isn't 'planned treatment' - planned treatment is when your doctor in the UK refers you to another country for an operation, for example. The OP isn't travelling for the express purpose of medical treatment - she is visiting family & happens to be pregnant

'Holidays' may well be more than 90 days - but as far as Spain is concerned you are resident after 90 days & expected to register. If they suspect you live here they will refuse the EHIC

your point about secondment is correct (eg students) - however doesn't appear to apply to the OP

edit - did just find this though http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...vingbirth.aspx

but it's by no means certain that the UK would agree to issue the S2 - & there's still the issue that after 90 days the OP would be considered a resident of Spain
is all this talk of EHIC/S1/S2 all academic ??
although they are mentioned by the OP she also says that everything will be paid for privately.

surely this is a personal decision to come to Spain to be with family and have a child whilst here ?

although I am (being male and way way past that sort of age) unsure as to the situation if she tries to get on a Ryanair flight with a child that may have Spanish documentation
Old Apr 20th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Can you please provide a link to this information as I think it contradicts information provided by Spain. For example, yes a holiday can be for more than 90 days but after that period you are considered resident in Spain and they MAY NOT allow the use of an EHIC.

Quote from their site;
The link is in the post I linked to in post #4 - there is also a subsequent link to the EU guideline.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 4:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Domino
is all this talk of EHIC/S1/S2 all academic ??
although they are mentioned by the OP she also says that everything will be paid for privately.

surely this is a personal decision to come to Spain to be with family and have a child whilst here ?

although I am (being male and way way past that sort of age) unsure as to the situation if she tries to get on a Ryanair flight with a child that may have Spanish documentation
She does, but then goes on to ask about the EHIC and the S1 so it's not entirely clear - hence the discussion.

It is a personal decision, provided she doesn't expect Spain to pick up the costs!

The link is in the post I linked to in post #4 - there is also a subsequent link to the EU guideline.
Yep, read all that and can't find where it discusses any time scales other than for students. Where does it say "Residency does not depend on how long you are in a country" - to me that is wrong.

Last edited by snikpoh; Apr 20th 2014 at 4:07 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
She does, but then goes on to ask about the EHIC and the S1 so it's not entirely clear - hence the discussion.

It is a personal decision, provided she doesn't expect Spain to pick up the costs!
perhaps she does, but is less likely to get away with it like the women from Nigeria who come over to UK heavily pregnant.
read recently about one who tried it and went into labour on the plane - despite strict guidelines as to how many weeks they are allowed to be carrying when boarding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.