Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Visiting the Alhambra Palace

Visiting the Alhambra Palace

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting the Alhambra Palace

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Thank for that Agoreira, it's just the thing we are looking for.

We are thinking of going in late November. Does anyone know if the Palace is open at that time of year.
Certainly is, I don't think it hardly ever closes!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a very detailed read of Granada and the Alhambra, read this guy, he's very knowledgable.
http://www.vivagranada.com/
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

We visited the Alhambra in April 2008 and stayed at:-

http://www.hotelguadalupe.es/en/index.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...Andalusia.html

The hotel was OK except for the PLUMBING it has these pressure flushed toilets that can be heard miles away.

It is I believe the closest hotel to the Alhambra with parking in the Alhambra car park and the entrance ticket machines are directly opposite the hotel.

There are plentiful buses to take you into the centre, but if you are after the nightlife you would require a taxi to return you up the hill after living it up.

I must say that I personally prefer Cordoba to Granada
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I must say that I personally prefer Cordoba to Granada
I certainly like Córdoba as well. Not sure how the populations compare, but Córdoba seems more compact, more "walkeable" to me. Probably isn't, but that's how it feels. We have stayed here a few times, within touching distance of the mezquita, and underground parking. Park the car when you get there, and forget about it, you can walk everywhere.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I certainly like Córdoba as well. Not sure how the populations compare, but Córdoba seems more compact, more "walkeable" to me. Probably isn't, but that's how it feels. We have stayed here a few times, within touching distance of the mezquita, and underground parking. Park the car when you get there, and forget about it, you can walk everywhere.
We originally booked late May this year :-

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...d=121410000015

Despite their website then showing 20 photos 5 of which were the swimming pool in a courtyard + some of the roof terrace bar, when we arrived there was no swimming pool or roof terrace due to rebuilding work.
However the hotel looked OK and with it's position accross the river from the Mosquito it was ideally placed.

We however walked out and went to the Paradore were we had B&B plus evening meal on a deal for the same price as the Hesperia B&B.
The Paradore is a short distance to the north of Cordoba, however parking near the historic sites was easy and cheap.

The Hesperia website has now been updated and shows a roof pool.

I would certainly give it another try now the work appears complete
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
We originally booked late May this year :-

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...d=121410000015
Looks nice! We are not big pool people, but if you are paying for it, you want it! Or a discount!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Thank for that Agoreira, it's just the thing we are looking for.

We are thinking of going in late November. Does anyone know if the Palace is open at that time of year.

Dress up ,Granada can be very cold in the winter ,snow is not unheard of
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh.. snow never even entered my thoughts
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
Looks nice! We are not big pool people, but if you are paying for it, you want it! Or a discount!
Being the last days of May in Cordoba the idea was to do the sites early in the day and relax / hide from the heat later on.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Had a look at the Parador rates it's a little too expensive for me, although it looks absolutely beautiful. Anyone know of anywhere a little more economical
The Parador there is probably the most expensive of their hotels. I'm inthe friends of the paradores scheme and I think it's one I'll be giving a miss!

Been to the Alhambra .... there are two queues when you get there, one for booked tickets and one for "on the door". If you are too late in the queue then there wont be any on the door tickets left ..... I think the issue them twice a day though

Pictures of our visit HERE

And Cordoba IS worth a visit whilst you are down that general direction, pics HERE
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

rvic007uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow you almost don't need to go with all these pictures haha!
i booked my Alhambra palace tickets here if that helps any of you..

(SNIP)

it was really good, what was your favourite bit?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Nov 14th 2010 at 11:40 pm. Reason: commercial URL removed