British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Vine Ripened Trumpers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/vine-ripened-trumpers-648858/)

simon2129 Jan 12th 2010 7:36 pm

Vine Ripened Trumpers

Hi Does anyone know it they are dangerous ,we saw some in Fuertuventura but this was is confined conditions ,i never realised they were here in mainland Spain

Sam Greenfield Jan 12th 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Vine Ripened Trumpers

Originally Posted by simon2129 (Post 8242548)
Hi Does anyone know it they are dangerous ,we saw some in Fuertuventura but this was is confined conditions ,i never realised they were here in mainland Spain

What on earth are they ?????

simon2129 Jan 12th 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Sam they are a wild plant yellowy green in colour that give of a smell that is descibed in The National Horticulture as ¨rancid trollops¨ .They are dangerous but more so to animals . Thanks

dancing queen Jan 12th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by simon2129 (Post 8242609)
Hi Sam they are a wild plant yellowy green in colour that give of a smell that is descibed in The National Horticulture as ¨rancid trollops¨ .They are dangerous but more so to animals . Thanks

Oh my goodness, dont say these little blighters have found their way to mainland Spain....I encountered these about 11 years ago on the canary Islands. The damage and pain i witnessed was awful. Be careful of the red liquid that they secrete. Be careful, they also screach so at least you can hear them , however they are tiny.....my advice is seek help.

rachelk Jan 12th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by dancing queen (Post 8242645)
Be careful, they also screach so at least you can hear them , however they are tiny.....my advice is seek help.

You're scaring me...:ohmy:

paintermujer Jan 13th 2010 8:29 am

Originally Posted by dancing queen (Post 8242645)
Oh my goodness, dont say these little blighters have found their way to mainland Spain....I encountered these about 11 years ago on the canary Islands. The damage and pain i witnessed was awful. Be careful of the red liquid that they secrete. Be careful, they also screach so at least you can hear them , however they are tiny.....my advice is seek help.

screeching plants that cause damage and pain.

sounds like something from some sci-fi movie.

Very scary.

Can anyone elaborate more?

simon2129 Jan 13th 2010 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 8243969)
screeching plants that cause damage and pain.

sounds like something from some sci-fi movie.

Very scary.

Can anyone elaborate more?

Hi i dont know that much about these plants ,i would not like to frighten anyone .I have been told however they are dangerous to dogs and cats who come into contact with them especially when growing wild .They apparently ¨dance before they excreet¨ in what quote can be only described as Lumping Turnips hope this helps

campolife Jan 13th 2010 6:17 pm

Perhaps Simon should change his name to WUM. Don't believe any of it.

fionamw Jan 13th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by campolife (Post 8245611)
Perhaps Simon should change his name to WUM. Don't believe any of it.

WUM? explain?
nb trumpet vines are indeed known as cow itch plants, but bear no resemblance to any known turnip, screeching or otherwise, living or dead.:rolleyes:

campolife Jan 14th 2010 12:02 pm

Wind Up Merchant

fionamw Jan 14th 2010 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by campolife (Post 8248116)
Wind Up Merchant

aahhhh!

dancing queen Jan 14th 2010 5:37 pm

I have to tell you that simon is indeed not a wind up merchant.....any campo person would possibly know about these pesky, prawn like pests although they are more evident in the canary islands which is where i first witnessed that they are real.Apparently they originated in Mexico many years ago where they are known to the old native mexicans as the " soft shoe shuffle squirters"......yes i know its a little un-savoury and bizzare, but so are the processionary caterpilars that are quite visually evident, unlike the hidden trumpers.

campolife Jan 14th 2010 5:47 pm

OK

Those who post in support of these "trumpers" can you please supply photos and links to evidence.

If this is so bad we all need educating on the subject properly.

Be good to see what you come up with.

simon2129 Jan 14th 2010 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by campolife (Post 8248939)
OK

Those who post in support of these "trumpers" can you please supply photos and links to evidence.

If this is so bad we all need educating on the subject properly.

Be good to see what you come up with.

Thank you campolife ,i only asked about the Trumpers out of interest and concern for my animals as i believed they were only native to North Africa and the Canaries. In the words of Larry Gregson ¨ The only plant to swim the amazon must first Tango in Turnips¨,hence the Turnip phrase

lynnxa Jan 14th 2010 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by simon2129 (Post 8249016)
Thank you campolife ,i only asked about the Trumpers out of interest and concern for my animals as i believed they were only native to North Africa and the Canaries. In the words of Larry Gregson ¨ The only plant to swim the amazon must first Tango in Turnips¨,hence the Turnip phrase

but what are they really called?

the latin name maybe, cos I'm sure I'm not the only one to come up with nothing from google with the name you're using, and as campolife says, some pictures so that we all know what to look out for