Villa rental

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Villa rental

Hi and before you ask we have already answered in the negative.

We have signed a contract for 11 months with allegedly a recognised and reputable agency. Again their fees have been paid and the two months deposit is already in the hands of the owner.

Today the owner has asked the agency if we could pay the rent in cash and something to do with exposure to IVA which is presume is VAT?

We are not going down this road under any circumstances and would welcome your thoughts. Maybe it is common practice in Spain. Here if one is found out then you are treated as badly as the person receiving the cash.

Now we are beginning to wonder what we are letting ourselves into. The contract is silent on payment in cash.

Also I have a relationship with the law not that matters but I just cannot do what they ask.

guidance please?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Villa rental

Originally Posted by Porth
Hi and before you ask we have already answered in the negative.

We have signed a contract for 11 months with allegedly a recognised and reputable agency. Again their fees have been paid and the two months deposit is already in the hands of the owner.

Today the owner has asked the agency if we could pay the rent in cash and something to do with exposure to IVA which is presume is VAT?

We are not going down this road under any circumstances and would welcome your thoughts. Maybe it is common practice in Spain. Here if one is found out then you are treated as badly as the person receiving the cash.

Now we are beginning to wonder what we are letting ourselves into. The contract is silent on payment in cash.

Also I have a relationship with the law not that matters but I just cannot do what they ask.

guidance please?
We've done both, we had rentals we paid in cash to the agency, and others we paid by bank transfer to the owner, all rentals had legal contracts. Remember that cheques are rarely used in Spain, most things are either paid in cash, bank transfer or direct debit. All you need to do is to ensure that if you have paid in cash you get a signed receipt from the agency, then you are covered. The owner is trying to avoid paying tax on some of the rental, if you have a DD already set up you can just continue to use that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

surely by paying cash you are really contributing to evasion of tax?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

surely by paying cash you are really contributing to evasion of tax?
I pay cash each month - but I do get a proper receipt & my gestor 'does something to do with tax' with them

I HOPE my landlord is declaring - if not he got a nasty shock last year!!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a landlord, I make sure that all my contracts state that payments must be made by a certain date each month and must be done via bank transfer.

In that way both I and the tenants are totally transparent - we both have a 'money trail' if anyone wants to investigate.

Tenants have asked to pay in cash but (1) it's too much hassle for me to try and find them each month and (2) it allows them to keep working 'on the black' and to hide the money (which I simply won't assist with).
Old Feb 25th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

This might lack logic but phone bills tax bills utility bills are paid by prelevement so why not rentals?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

This might lack logic but phone bills tax bills utility bills are paid by prelevement so why not rentals?
Perhaps a tax dodge by the agents?.. not that anyone in Spain would try to dodge paying taxes..
Old Feb 26th 2013, 10:06 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I pay cash each month - but I do get a proper receipt & my gestor 'does something to do with tax' with them

I HOPE my landlord is declaring - if not he got a nasty shock last year!!
if you are getting the rental allowance in your tax return then you can rest assured he is declaring

the BH had her tax return held over because the new landlord hadn't registered it with the Hacienda. But they sorted him out and she has her allowance.