Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Villa burglaries in Frigiliana

Villa burglaries in Frigiliana

Old Feb 17th 2019, 7:36 am
Just Joined

PICSOU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Villa burglaries in Frigiliana

Hi, me and my boyfriend just rented a Vila 10 mins drive up from the village of Frigiliana for a year. Although it’s close to the village the villa feels a bit isolated with no close by neighbours.

After going online and reading about Nerja and surroundings frequent burglaries, I’m now very worried that this will eventually happen to us, especially that sometimes I will have to be there alone as my boyfriend will need to be in London often. Some of the windows have security grills but the patio door and the windows are sliding doors.

Does anyone know if villa break-ins are a regular thing in the area and what security measures work? Do burglars even care about the alarms? The whole gazed-up while sleeping is really freaking me out :|
any insights will be ver appreciated thanks

Old Feb 17th 2019, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Villa burglaries in Frigiliana

I have no experience of the area you speak of but I do have experience of being burgled both in Spain and in the UK.
First off a burglar would much rather enter a building that is easy to enter and without occupants, so the chances of finding someone breaking into your house wile you are there is very very rare, if someone is obviously living in a house that will increase the chances of a visit because it will be assumed you have the trappings of life, phone, laptop, tv, tablet ect.

You can get walk in visitors that say they are after water or whatever but this will depend on the boarders of the house, ie if its not easy to walk in then they probably won't.

So if you think you house is easy to enter then its worth making it harder along with some external led pir lights and a alarm system, you can get internet camera's and many more security items these days for little money and they work well providing you have an internet connection, this will all help when you return to the house on your own to know no one has been in there.

Finally you need to get into perspective that burglary is everywhere but it rarely happens to you and the risk of conflict is extremely rare, certainly i worry more about this in the UK than in Spain
Old Feb 19th 2019, 12:21 pm
Banned

Mr Pastry1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a couple of Rottweilers. Also make sure you seal up every entry air vent (letter box) into the property, burglars are now pumping toxic gas into properties. Make sure every door and window has good quality security bars also the chimney and your bedroom door. Keep your mobile phone topped up and charged.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your tips and insights I will definitely be installing some security alarms and and will be thinking of clever places to hide my valuables just in case
Old Feb 20th 2019, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Lived in Frigi for 16 years. 10 years in an apartment (1 break in, and i suspect the renter!), 6 years in a villa 5 minutes out of village toward torrox and no burglaries, but 1 attepmted break in to the pool room for some reason. No grills on any doors or windows but CCTV installed. I look at CCTV daily (we are only there 5 months a year) and never seen anyting other than a stray dog go down the drive.

Frigi and surroundings are quite safe if you leave lights on and lock doors.

Definitely no need for rabid dogs that bark all night and stop any chance of sleeping in the campo....
Old Feb 20th 2019, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Pastry1
Get a couple of Rottweilers. Also make sure you seal up every entry air vent (letter box) into the property, burglars are now pumping toxic gas into properties. Make sure every door and window has good quality security bars also the chimney and your bedroom door. Keep your mobile phone topped up and charged.
As far as the authorities have been able to ascertain there is no evidence for these so called "gas robberies" , indeed the association representing anaesthetists have said administrating the right amount of gas to knock someone out for a length of time in such a big space would be impossible to judge, the occupants would normally be killed or still awake.

Its far more likely that a heavily night drinking would lead to such a claim of being gased!
Old Feb 21st 2019, 8:01 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have not heard of anyone being gassed then robbed in Spain only in France.
Old Feb 21st 2019, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missile
I have not heard of anyone being gassed then robbed in Spain only in France.
And the authorities there haven't found any evidence that this has taken place, its purely speculation, Jenson Button was one high profile case, the use of gas was speculation, never proved
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:08 am
Banned

Being gassed like most other subjects is the gossip you hear on the circuit. I have one ex mate (dead now) who lived on La Finca golf complex who swore he and his wife were gassed. Of course as Longlegpete says, maybe he was gassed with Jonnie Walker.
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Lived in Frigi for 16 years. 10 years in an apartment (1 break in, and i suspect the renter!), 6 years in a villa 5 minutes out of village toward torrox and no burglaries, but 1 attepmted break in to the pool room for some reason. No grills on any doors or windows but CCTV installed. I look at CCTV daily (we are only there 5 months a year) and never seen anyting other than a stray dog go down the drive.

Frigi and surroundings are quite safe if you leave lights on and lock doors.

Definitely no need for rabid dogs that bark all night and stop any chance of sleeping in the campo....
Thanks for your message I feel less worried after reading your post but I guess taking precautions is a must just in case. I will be installing CCTV, do you have any recommendations brands or companies in Spain?
Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mr Pastry1
Being gassed like most other subjects is the gossip you hear on the circuit. I have one ex mate (dead now) who lived on La Finca golf complex who swore he and his wife were gassed. Of course as Longlegpete says, maybe he was gassed with Jonnie Walker.
I am sorry to hear about your friend and thanks for your reply it's very helpful
Old Feb 26th 2019, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PICSOU
Thanks for your message I feel less worried after reading your post but I guess taking precautions is a must just in case. I will be installing CCTV, do you have any recommendations brands or companies in Spain?
Thanks

Have you thought about an alarm? We have securitas direct installed, and i´ve seen some alarms that they have installed that have outdoor sensors too? so the garden is covered - the alarm inside the house goes off if someone comes into the garden while the alarm is "on", and you get a call on your mobile, and a text message, and the system takes pictures. It is a bit to install & 50€ a month, but for peace of mind...
Old Feb 26th 2019, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
As far as the authorities have been able to ascertain there is no evidence for these so called "gas robberies" , indeed the association representing anaesthetists have said administrating the right amount of gas to knock someone out for a length of time in such a big space would be impossible to judge, the occupants would normally be killed or still awake.

Its far more likely that a heavily night drinking would lead to such a claim of being gased!
Thanks fro you reply it's very helpful
Old Feb 26th 2019, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
Have you thought about an alarm? We have securitas direct installed, and i´ve seen some alarms that they have installed that have outdoor sensors too? so the garden is covered - the alarm inside the house goes off if someone comes into the garden while the alarm is "on", and you get a call on your mobile, and a text message, and the system takes pictures. It is a bit to install & 50€ a month, but for peace of mind...
Thanks for your reply we definitely want to install alarm systems so thanks for recommending securitas I will check them out and hopefully be able to afford it
Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2019, 3:26 pm
Banned

We had outdoor security cameras everywhere but the thieves stole the cameras. We were lucky within a few days we got a leaflet selling security cameras, they even had some second hand one’s cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.