Vets costs

Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default Vets costs

Good afternoon, Could anyone give me an idea on the cost of a one way visit to the vets for a dog? I have found the majority of vets costs here much less expensive than in the UK but wondered if this was the case in these circumstances. Also has anyone had a vet visit at home to carry out euthanasia as I know this is possible in the UK at an additional cost. Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 11:11 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vets costs

Originally Posted by celestine
Good afternoon, Could anyone give me an idea on the cost of a one way visit to the vets for a dog? I have found the majority of vets costs here much less expensive than in the UK but wondered if this was the case in these circumstances. Also has anyone had a vet visit at home to carry out euthanasia as I know this is possible in the UK at an additional cost. Thanks.
I'm really sorry to hear that.

For the vet to come out to the campo, give rabies and worming pills to two dogs was 40 euros this year.

Given the heartache of what you are going to have to go thru, and the disturbance and upset to the dog, I'd say it would be worth the expense to have it done at home. Call the vet and ask.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:45 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

We sailed over from England to Estepona 10 years ago with our old dog on board. After a year we decided the time had come (she was 20) and the vet came to the boat to do it. I think back then it was the equivalent of about 20 Euros.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:06 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We used a Spanish veterinary service to come to our home to put our dog to sleep, two years ago. We had previously called at the surgery and spoken to the vet. It was done as humanely as possible.

The cost was 145 Euros.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:25 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We used a Spanish veterinary service to come to our home to put our dog to sleep, two years ago. We had previously called at the surgery and spoken to the vet. It was done as humanely as possible.

The cost was 145 Euros.
That seems an awful lot, did the vet dispose of the animal's body as well? We buried ours on a friend's finca.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

The cost was 145 Euros.
Blimey! That seems a bit steep. How could that be justified?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:32 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When our fellow got into big trouble, we didn't worry about the cost too much, we would have done anything for him. He got incurable Lymphoma and it broke our hearts.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:08 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by HBG
When our fellow got into big trouble, we didn't worry about the cost too much, we would have done anything for him. He got incurable Lymphoma and it broke our hearts.
I understand that - money is the last thing on your mind at times like that. I think the vet probably took advantage of that and ripped you off though. Shameful.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Thank you all for the information.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 5:21 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
It's a pisser when one of the family goes, isn't it?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:26 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

My local Spanish vet usually charges 12 euros for frontline treatment, drontal treatment, full health check, and completion of appropriate pages in passport, which I think is quite reasonable, especially in comparison to the charges I pay in Sweden and the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by celestine
So sorry you are going through this. Our eldest dog had a bad week last week and I thought we were going to be in the same position. I was planning to call the vet today and ask someone to come out but thankfully he perked up a lot on Saturday and seems OK now so we'll be waiting awhile longer.

Vet charges seem to vary quite a lot in Spain. For example ours charges 26 euros for a rabies shot including the paperwork, done at the surgery. So the 40 for 2 done at home seems very reasonable. With euthanasia I think it does make a huge difference if you ask the vet to dispose of the body. Our neighbours paid 100 euros for the vet to dispose of the remains of their dog 3 years ago and that was on top of the charge for the 'treatment'.

Its such a difficult decision to make, you just want to do the best for your faithful friend. I'm sad for you, I hope it goes as well as possible.