Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Velez Rubio Spain

Velez Rubio Spain

Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

PETERMCOOK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Velez Rubio Spain

I wish to move to an area near to my son in Albox and have been looking at the area of Velez Rubio on the net. Places which would be of interest would be rural.
Has anyone any information of the area? This would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Peter
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Velez Rubio Spain

Hi Peter

Vélez Rubio is becoming quite popular with Brits lately, although not on the scale of Albox.
It is a nice town with all the usual facilities of a typical Spanish town.
Vélez Blanco is just up the hill, where the famous painting of the ‘Indalo Man’ was found in a cave, also nearby is the Maria National Park, gorgeous!
The coastl resort of Aguilas is only about an hour away.
You need to know that due to its altitude, it gets very cold in winter.

There may be useful info on these sites:-

http://www.viva-almeria.com/velez_rubio_p31.php

http://www.andalucia.com/province/al...rubio/home.htm

Regards shoo
Old Feb 13th 2006, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Shoo for your detailed answer to my question. I presume there are frosts in winter but never any snow. I will be coming out in March to have a look but of course by then the winter will almost over in Velez Rubio.
Best wishes from Peter

Hi Peter

Vélez Rubio is becoming quite popular with Brits lately, although not on the scale of Albox.
It is a nice town with all the usual facilities of a typical Spanish town.
Vélez Blanco is just up the hill, where the famous painting of the ‘Indalo Man’ was found in a cave, also nearby is the Maria National Park, gorgeous!
The coastl resort of Aguilas is only about an hour away.
You need to know that due to its altitude, it gets very cold in winter.

There may be useful info on these sites:-

http://www.viva-almeria.com/velez_rubio_p31.php

http://www.andalucia.com/province/al...rubio/home.htm

Regards shoo[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Velez Rubio Spain

Originally Posted by PETERMCOOK
I presume there are frosts in winter but never any snow. I will be coming out in March to have a look but of course by then the winter will almost over in Velez Rubio.
Peter

Sorry mate, I’m afraid it does snow in Vélez Rubio……regularly!
But do not despair, you know how people say “it’s nice on Christmas cards”, that’s because they live in towns or cities and not in the middle of all that beautiful scenery. Also, if, like me, you remember as a child, proper seasons, snow in winter and sun in summer, this place can take you back to that era. Since I‘ve been here, I‘ve been out sledging, snowballing, making snowmen and more, every winter.
So, be aware, and don’t let a little thing like snow put you off.
In March, prepare for the cold but hope for the warm. More importantly, look for the positives rather than the negatives.

Shoo
Old Feb 13th 2006, 10:33 pm
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PETERMCOOK
Many thanks Shoo for your detailed answer to my question. I presume there are frosts in winter but never any snow. I will be coming out in March to have a look but of course by then the winter will almost over in Velez Rubio.
[/QUOTE]

I've been to Velez Rubio when there's been over 12 inch of snow and quite severe frosts..... I prefer Velez Blanco but thats even colder and beyond that towards Maria you sometimes need snow chains
Old Feb 15th 2006, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Emilio is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Velez Rubio Spain

My last post was deleted because I included a link of my site in it. Sorry. I honestly recommend you the Altiplano de Granada area. It is about 15 miniutes direction Granada on the A92 from Velez Rubio. The situation is very good as you are aproximately the same distance from Murcia, Granada and Almeria airports. The area is surrounded by the natural parks of Sierra de Maria, Sierra de Castril and Sierra de Baza, and villages such as Galera, Orce or El Margen are breathtaking, honestly. Cave houses have been the main dwelling in that region for centuries, but you can also find conventional buildings. There are also several lakes where water sports can be practised ( the area is also known as the lake district) and the Ski slopes of Sierra Nevada are also near. Consider this area befor taking your final decisssion.
Regards,
Emilio
Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Emilio and all, for the numerous emails to help in my quest to retire to Spain. I have yet to make up my mind of the final position where we live but I do thank you for all of your help.
I will let you know when and where we decide to live.
Peter

Originally Posted by Emilio
My last post was deleted because I included a link of my site in it. Sorry. I honestly recommend you the Altiplano de Granada area. It is about 15 miniutes direction Granada on the A92 from Velez Rubio. The situation is very good as you are aproximately the same distance from Murcia, Granada and Almeria airports. The area is surrounded by the natural parks of Sierra de Maria, Sierra de Castril and Sierra de Baza, and villages such as Galera, Orce or El Margen are breathtaking, honestly. Cave houses have been the main dwelling in that region for centuries, but you can also find conventional buildings. There are also several lakes where water sports can be practised ( the area is also known as the lake district) and the Ski slopes of Sierra Nevada are also near. Consider this area befor taking your final decisssion.
Regards,
Emilio