Vehicles Again

Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

mick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant future
Default Vehicles Again

I've read on various site about the amount of time allowed before a vehicle has to registered in Spain, some sites say one month other sites say three months, but what about someone like me who wants to escape the "English" winter months by driving down to Southern Spain pulling a caravan and staying on a caravan park for a period of four or possibly five months.

Can I do that or will I be stopped by the Police, and possibly have the vehicle impounded.

I will still have a UK address, UK MOT, UK insurance and the vehicle will be registered at that the UK address on UK plates.

mick
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:13 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicles Again

Originally Posted by mick123
I've read on various site about the amount of time allowed before a vehicle has to registered in Spain, some sites say one month other sites say three months, but what about someone like me who wants to escape the "English" winter months by driving down to Southern Spain pulling a caravan and staying on a caravan park for a period of four or possibly five months.
Can I do that or will I be stopped by the Police, and possibly have the vehicle impounded.
I will still have a UK address, UK MOT, UK insurance and the vehicle will be registered at that the UK address on UK plates.
mick
A spanish resident is not allowed to drive a UK registered car and therefore has to re register it as a spanish plate.

You will not be a Spanish resident, you will be a tourist and as such has 6 months to keep it here. Keep the ferry dockets to prove how long you have been here. Ensure your MOT and road tax are in order for the whole time you are here and that your insurance covers you.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

See the Residency link in free beer..... you can stay for 3 months only, after that you are deemed resident.
Then you have the fun with your car.
Attached Thumbnails Vehicles Again-%C2%B73-months.jpg  

Last edited by jdr; Aug 25th 2007 at 12:10 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

mick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

You will not be a Spanish resident, you will be a tourist and as such has 6 months to keep it here. Keep the ferry dockets to prove how long you have been here. Ensure your MOT and road tax are in order for the whole time you are here and that your insurance covers you.
Thanks

I thought that might be the case, I was just making sure.

mick
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
See the Residency link in free beer.....
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You two are too fast for my edit
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:58 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
You two are too fast for my edit

Its DEFINATELY three months now then, not 6
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:47 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I may end up slitting my wrists if this thread goes into another page!!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:44 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Just lengthening the thread for you Matt

Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:00 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You know you love the car threads
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:03 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

In the hope that Matt will follow through on his promise.....here goes!

It's an infringement of our human rights you know....and it's all for the money.
If you have a UK reg car or bike which is completely legal, why the hell should you be forced to replate it?

In fact, I've just bought another bike in the UK....for half the price I'd have had to pay here. Plus, it's had no Spanish owners, which is a godsend....because the concept of basic maintenance like oil changes, chain adjustment and lubrication etc is totally lost on them.

I'll be bringing it out here, and it'll be totally legal in all respects as I have 365 days European insurance cover. If I get pulled it's show the passport, not the residencia....though in actual fact Police are not interested in foreign motorcycles, as Spain has long been a mecca for touring.
In a years time, back to the UK for a new MOT or change it for something else.

The fact of the matter is that any legal British vehicle with a current MOT is going to be a damn sight safer and more roadworthy than any POS Spanish car which has limped it's way through the ITV. And in many cases some Spanish cars haven't actually been tested for years and they're just driving around regardless.

So before Spain tells me what plate I should have on my bike.....it needs to clear up it's own mess of illegal vehicles, illegal drivers, and non-existent standards of driving ability. AFAIC if my vehicle is legal anywhere in Europe then it's legal here!
Spanish licence? Spanish plate? They're having a laugh! Just tell em......Franco's dead.....get over it!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme

It's an infringement of our human rights you know....and it's all for the money.
If you have a UK reg car or bike which is completely legal, why the hell should you be forced to replate it?

In fact, I've just bought another bike in the UK....for half the price I'd have had to pay here. Plus, it's had no Spanish owners, which is a godsend....because the concept of basic maintenance like oil changes, chain adjustment and lubrication etc is totally lost on them.

I'll be bringing it out here, and it'll be totally legal in all respects as I have 365 days European insurance cover. If I get pulled it's show the passport, not the residencia....though in actual fact Police are not interested in foreign motorcycles, as Spain has long been a mecca for touring.
In a years time, back to the UK for a new MOT or change it for something else.

The fact of the matter is that any legal British vehicle with a current MOT is going to be a damn sight safer and more roadworthy than any POS Spanish car which has limped it's way through the ITV. And in many cases some Spanish cars haven't actually been tested for years and they're just driving around regardless.

So before Spain tells me what plate I should have on my bike.....it needs to clear up it's own mess of illegal vehicles, illegal drivers, and non-existent standards of driving ability. AFAIC if my vehicle is legal anywhere in Europe then it's legal here!
Spanish licence? Spanish plate? They're having a laugh! Just tell em......Franco's dead.....get over it!

And, 9 months after you get it here and they stop you and ask for PROOF that it has been here less than 6 months? how are you going to get round that. Only accepted proof is your ferry ticket.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme

!
I got as far as that and stopped reading.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
And, 9 months after you get it here and they stop you and ask for PROOF that it has been here less than 6 months? how are you going to get round that. Only accepted proof is your ferry ticket.
Sorry all, I know you all love these threads! But.....Is that the case? Suppose the vehicle came down in a lorry, or through the tunnel? What happens then?
What is the state of play with vehicles registered in other countries? logic says that we should all abide by the rules, whether EU rules or Spanish rules, but is there the same issue with German or French registered vehicles?
Just curious!
Tim
Old Aug 25th 2007, 4:43 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Sorry all, I know you all love these threads! But.....Is that the case? Suppose the vehicle came down in a lorry, or through the tunnel? What happens then?
What is the state of play with vehicles registered in other countries? logic says that we should all abide by the rules, whether EU rules or Spanish rules, but is there the same issue with German or French registered vehicles?
Just curious!
Tim
well where we live there is a german lady ............. she has been here a lot longer than we have .............. her car is still on german plates and i cant see a recent itv sticker in the car ............... Now is she legal ............. any one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.