Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Vehicle ITV lapsed

Vehicle ITV lapsed

Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Piran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vehicle ITV lapsed

Does anyone know what the law says about getting a renewed ITV, after the old one has lapsed? Do I have to tow it to the testing station, low-load it, etc., or is there a provision in the law to allow just one journey, same as UK?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle ITV lapsed

Originally Posted by Piran
Does anyone know what the law says about getting a renewed ITV, after the old one has lapsed? Do I have to tow it to the testing station, low-load it, etc., or is there a provision in the law to allow just one journey, same as UK?
Why not go & ask/ring them?
One thing not allowed in Spain is for a vehicle to be towed (unless a proper garage towing vehicle).
Sorry cannot be more help.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing in the relevant law that covers this specific situation, but if you have failed the test you are allowed to drive to a garage for repair and you are allowed to drive it to the ITV station for the subsequent re-test.

Although, if stopped in the situation described by the OP, and you had a prebooked appointment for a test you would be very unlucky to be fined but, technically you could be breaking the law.

As the fine is only €100 and there are no penalty points then it's probably going to be cheaper than paying for a Grua to take you there.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My ITV station has pre-booked tests BUT the machine that you use to say you have arrived for your pre-booked test ALSO has a question "Have you got an appointment"?

If you say "No" then you can have a same day "cancellation / spare slot for garages and Mechanics".

So I would pop along early and try for one of the non pre-booked slots. I´ve just done precisely that and at 11 o´clock I got given a 2-30 appointment

Davexf