Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Valencia (the city) - anyone live there, opinions?

Valencia (the city) - anyone live there, opinions?

Old May 8th 2008, 4:37 am
Banned

joggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nice
Default Valencia (the city) - anyone live there, opinions?

I am thinking of moving to Valencia to teach English and also work over the Internet.

The climate, access to the Med and good transport / air links appeal to me and the fact it is smaller than it's two bigger brothers.

I know many speak Valencian but this would not put me off learning Spanish in the City.

So how easy is it to move there and find an apartment? Is there much of an expat scene there for someone in the early 30s?

Good areas to live?

Mucho gracias!
Old May 8th 2008, 1:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia (the city) - anyone live there, opinions?

Originally Posted by joggerfan
I am thinking of moving to Valencia to teach English and also work over the Internet.

The climate, access to the Med and good transport / air links appeal to me and the fact it is smaller than it's two bigger brothers.

I know many speak Valencian but this would not put me off learning Spanish in the City.

So how easy is it to move there and find an apartment? Is there much of an expat scene there for someone in the early 30s?

Good areas to live?

Mucho gracias!
Welcome to BE.

Cannot help you with living, working, accommodation or ex pat scene for you but have visited Valencia lots of times and not heard Valenciano spoken. My friend tells me that there is more Valenciano spoken outside of Valencia than in the city itself.

Rosemary
Old May 8th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Welcome to BE.

Cannot help you with living, working, accommodation or ex pat scene for you but have visited Valencia lots of times and not heard Valenciano spoken. My friend tells me that there is more Valenciano spoken outside of Valencia than in the city itself.

Rosemary
thats about right on the valenciano count. spanish is fine in the city, valenciano is much more popular in the campo. theres loads of 'foreigners' from expats to students from the states et al. there's at least 4 irish bars (could be 6) an english bar, a scottish bar (well, its called murrayfield, not really a scots bar) and theres loads of freindly spanish 30 somethings wanting to try out their english skills.......
there are schools needing english teachers around the city, i know very little about that, i'm afraid, but what exactly is your work over the internet idea? you definitely need a work plan before getting here.....
Old May 9th 2008, 12:07 am
Banned

joggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nicejoggerfan is just really nice

That all sounds great to me. Of course I don't just want to live around English speakers but it is nice to know I have some options.

I have heard there is a fair bit of English teaching work, for me it is only a necessity to give myself something else to do as working alone on the web can get a bit much after three years!

So I guess some part time teaching would be good and perhaps point me in a new direction as well. Will be nice to work with people again!

I was even hoping that I could employ some people to help me with the web business side of things there but that will be further down the track and is likely to open up many cans of worms in terms of tax, being self employed etc.

I currently pay tax in the UK and will continue doing that until such a time when I am ready to commit to Spain. Then I guess there will be some red tape waiting for me!