Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Used Car Prices - optimistic or what!!??

Used Car Prices - optimistic or what!!??

Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Used Car Prices - optimistic or what!!??

I've always tended to changes cars quite often (despite my wife's disapproval) but my rate of changing has slowed down since we came to live in Spain. However. I still look at the used car ads with interest, Has anyone else noticed the strange ads that seem to feature in the Costa Blanca News in particular? You see the same car in the private ads - at a wildly optimistic price - for month after month, without the price ever being reduced.I think one of them was advertised for about a year. I can't decide whether the paper puts them in to pad out the used car section, or whether the advertisers have lost their grip on reality.

Maybe they are dealers hanging on to get their price but I think a dealer would have reduced the price by now??
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Used Car Prices - optimistic or what!!??

Originally Posted by petew
I've always tended to changes cars quite often (despite my wife's disapproval) but my rate of changing has slowed down since we came to live in Spain. However. I still look at the used car ads with interest, Has anyone else noticed the strange ads that seem to feature in the Costa Blanca News in particular? You see the same car in the private ads - at a wildly optimistic price - for month after month, without the price ever being reduced.I think one of them was advertised for about a year. I can't decide whether the paper puts them in to pad out the used car section, or whether the advertisers have lost their grip on reality.

Maybe they are dealers hanging on to get their price but I think a dealer would have reduced the price by now??

We've always thought the used car prices in Spain were so high compared to the UK that unless you know the car's history with absolute certainty () or really don't feel justified in shelling out shedloads of cash for your mode of transport, it's almost guaranteed to be a better bet to buy new. Having said that one of the reasons cars seem so expensive second hand is apparently because they are typically run into the ground (you only have to look at them to know that's not far from the truth) so it reduces the availability of used vehicles. Plus of course with distances the way they are you'll be lucky to get a low km car.
Then if you do buy new (we did, my first ever!!!) you have to grit your teeth & bear the scrapes, scratches & dents you acquire without ever having anything to do with it. I've got a motley assortment of coloured paints on mine, know nothing about how they got there - my dents I know of & 'fess up about