Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

upgrading electricity supply

upgrading electricity supply

Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

siteservices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default upgrading electricity supply

hi there we need to upgrade to 220 kw (is that correct) in order to be able to run the airconditioning we're having fitted in a couple of weeks. Also i think with the current 110 system we will be limited in what we can run at the same time. our solicitor who gave Endesa our details to transfer bills over to us said she would request the upgrade. I don't think we've heard from Endesa yet. the people fitting the airconditioning say their electrician can do the upgrade at the same time. But having read up about it will it be ok for us to go ahead withe the upgrade before Endesa have come out to view. Have read that the electrician must be Spanish for the bolletin he provides to be acceptable to the electricity companies. Please can someone tell me the correct procedure. It's all quite difficult as OH is going over for short bursts at the moment and trying to get things done as one of us has to stay here to look after the kids so we're having to try and get things done in a short time scale
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: upgrading electricity supply

If you are still running a 110v supply i would suggest you need complete rewiring to get to 240v. It may be that you have a lower capacity in terms of amperage and this is the problem. What exactly has your electrician said?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
If you are still running a 110v supply i would suggest you need complete rewiring to get to 240v. It may be that you have a lower capacity in terms of amperage and this is the problem. What exactly has your electrician said?
Didn't realise that there was anywhere left in Spain with a 110v supply, unless via a generator.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

I think they might mean an upgrade to the "potencia", the contracted voltage? If you are on a low potencia, installing an aircon system would trip the system. You can see on your electricity bill what your current contract is - 4KW, 10KW etc.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

siteservices is an unknown quantity at this point

hi thanks for the replies. maybe we're not on 110 watts then as it is a 1980/90s block of flats but have been advised to upgrade (by the solicitor i think) who said she would tell Endesa for us. don't know exactly whast the electrician said as wasn't there and OH is at work. the aircon engineer just said that rather than waiting for Endesa to upgrade the supply his electrician could do it at the same time but have read of people getting fined for doing this. Part of the problem is me reading lots of forums from about 2006 i think!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siteservices
hi thanks for the replies. maybe we're not on 110 watts then as it is a 1980/90s block of flats but have been advised to upgrade (by the solicitor i think) who said she would tell Endesa for us. don't know exactly whast the electrician said as wasn't there and OH is at work. the aircon engineer just said that rather than waiting for Endesa to upgrade the supply his electrician could do it at the same time but have read of people getting fined for doing this. Part of the problem is me reading lots of forums from about 2006 i think!
You are certainly NOT on 110 watts. You may (but VERY unlikely) be on 110 volts.

I would suspect that you are on a very low 'potencia' (3.2 kW, for example) and so have been advised to increase this.

As stated previously, this is not something that an aircon installer should attempt! You have to make sure that the existing wiring can take the extra load. For that reason alone, you may need to get a boletin (certificate) to show that your installation meets all the necessary regulations. You can then get an electrician (or your supplier) to upgrade the supply and fit an ICP.

Just for interests sake, we have an electric hob, electric oven, w/machine, several aircon units, multiple fridge/freezers and yet only contract for 5.75kW
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You are certainly NOT on 110 watts. You may (but VERY unlikely) be on 110 volts.

I would suspect that you are on a very low 'potencia' (3.2 kW, for example) and so have been advised to increase this.

As stated previously, this is not something that an aircon installer should attempt! You have to make sure that the existing wiring can take the extra load. For that reason alone, you may need to get a boletin (certificate) to show that your installation meets all the necessary regulations. You can then get an electrician (or your supplier) to upgrade the supply and fit an ICP.

Just for interests sake, we have an electric hob, electric oven, w/machine, several aircon units, multiple fridge/freezers and yet only contract for 5.75kW
220 KW would run a rather large establishment , we had 6KW and t ran everything, including a hot tub.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
220 KW would run a rather large establishment , we had 6KW and t ran everything, including a hot tub.
I think I miss your point - who mentioned 220kW????

As I said, we're on 5.75kW
Old Aug 29th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Us too, but it has tripped out in the winter a few times. It's always when you put the kettle or the iron on forgetting the oven etc. is also on.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Us too, but it has tripped out in the winter a few times. It's always when you put the kettle or the iron on forgetting the oven etc. is also on.
Ssshhhhh! Get a friendly electrician to bypass the ICP.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 10:20 am
Concierge

I think I miss your point - who mentioned 220kW????

Read the OP first post..
Old Sep 1st 2012, 10:56 am
Just Joined

wedgehed is an unknown quantity at this point

Ssshhhhh! Get a friendly electrician to bypass the ICP.
that is illegal
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:00 am
Just Joined

wedgehed is an unknown quantity at this point

you probably have a 2.2kw supply installed, to get an upgrade i suspect that you will require a rewire as the installation is probably more than 20 years old. this should be carried out by a registered / qualified electrician who can issue a boletin (electrical safety certificate) when the work is complete.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wedgehed
that is illegal
And potentially dangerous!

No pun intended ...
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
And potentially dangerous!

No pun intended ...
Rubbish (IMHO)!

If the wiring has been checked (which it needs to be to get the ICP in the first place), then removing it can't hurt at all.

The use of an ICP merely restricts what you can draw from the grid it doesn't make your installation any safer.

By the way, what law is being broken to make it illegal? I can understand that you are breaking the rules of your energy supplier but no law is broken surely?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.