Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unpaid ambassadors

Unpaid ambassadors

Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

micheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nicemicheal o-flynn is just really nice
Default Unpaid ambassadors

To those with rose tinted spectacles who refuse to take them off even when they run, as some of you have commented, back to Jolly Old Blighty every five minutes. I entered Spain for the first time in 2003 and haven`t been back to the Uk since. I did a tour of the Uk taking over a year in 1997 to all the places which I held dear since I was a child. Yes, I am old and was born during the War years. I saw on my travels nothing but destruction of the places I once loved. Car parks, supermarkets, double yellow lines, the dreadful brown heritage signs which point to all and every building now heritised into a memorial to the past, all complete with " Gifte shoppees and disgusting cafes serving instant coffee and yesterdays doughnuts ouzing artificial jam."

All of what I held dear in the UK had been destroyed in the name of tourism that Sainted word which was meant originally to rescue the economy of rural Britain. Britain is expensive and Britain is not the place I either want to visit or to live in anymore.I will live with my memories of what Britain once was before it was turned into a multi-culti, P.C correct, mish mash of too many people of mixed nationality unfortunately struggling to live lives which are increasingly stressed on a small island which is now too small for them all.

One of you has asked in a response on page one of this thread >> Why, if Britain is so bad is London full of tourists ? The answer is plain it is full of tourists because many tourists believe it is still British.

A comment written the other day in a UK newspaper said that London could no longer be considered British.

I lived in London in 1960 - 1961. The last time I was there many years ago I could hardly recognise the place.

Many have probably forgotten that successive Governments over the last few decades in Britain have doen a good job ruining the education system, made free dental treatment virtually a thing of the past and are now hell bent on destroying the NHS. On Monday it was reported that next year 3.5 million children in the UK will be living below the poverty line. The brave words of Mr. Cameron about the his " Big Society " in his manifesto should have read his " Big Broken Society."

I am not one to talk down my country in fact I very rarely talk about it, but I cannot support its direction nor it`s inept Governmental dithering, apathy and stupidity. Last weekend we saw the grass roots of those demonstrating on St. Pauls Cathedral steps who are at last speaking out against Corporatism. The control of Government by corporate lobbyists. The Labour Party and the liberals want to introduce a bill making it mandatory for all MP`s to declare who is supporting them as if they didn`t get enough pay for the job.

I enclose below what the BBC Text stated yesterday morning on Mr.Camerons reply to this request. I can see their reasons for wanting to buy some time before implimenting this proposal.How many years has this been going on >> decades >> Why do they need more time >> ? >> I leave the commenting on it to you.

I would add that one final comment >> Politicians of all parties have always failed to recognise that British Ex-Pats are all ambassadors of the Uk. We live our lives in other countries ( I have lived in four others ) How we behave while outside Britain and how we live our lives is important to Britain. In the last few years I personally continually feel ashamed by the British Government as over the expenses scandal and now over lobbyists control and influence.

All Ex-Pats meet many thousands more Spanish people every day than the British Ambassador could ever do in Madrid. He, I am sure gets paid a handsome salary with the perks of the job. But when it comes to budget day every year and the thought of having to pay us ex-pats pensions or benefits, we Ex-pats are conveniently forgotten about. Beneficial increases are only allowed for those who have remained in the Uk and have not in their view deserted the sinking ship like rats in the dark.
BBC NEWS TEXT
No 10 won`t speed lobbying rule
Downing Street says the government is
not going to speed up it`s proposals to
regulate the lobbying industry in
response to the Liam Fox row.
The prime ministers official spokesman
said "These are separate things.
There's always been a policy to move to
a statutory register of lobbying..
That work has been ongoing.
Sir Gus O`Donnefl's report on Mr. Fox is
expected to be published an Tuesday.
Anything relevant to lobbying in it
"would be taken into account".
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:06 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid ambassadors

Originally Posted by micheal o-flynn
To those with rose tinted spectacles who refuse to take them off even when they run, as some of you have commented, back to Jolly Old Blighty every five minutes. I entered Spain for the first time in 2003 and haven`t been back to the Uk since. I did a tour of the Uk taking over a year in 1997 to all the places which I held dear since I was a child. Yes, I am old and was born during the War years. I saw on my travels nothing but destruction of the places I once loved. Car parks, supermarkets, double yellow lines, the dreadful brown heritage signs which point to all and every building now heritised into a memorial to the past, all complete with " Gifte shoppees and disgusting cafes serving instant coffee and yesterdays doughnuts ouzing artificial jam."

All of what I held dear in the UK had been destroyed in the name of tourism that Sainted word which was meant originally to rescue the economy of rural Britain. Britain is expensive and Britain is not the place I either want to visit or to live in anymore.I will live with my memories of what Britain once was before it was turned into a multi-culti, P.C correct, mish mash of too many people of mixed nationality unfortunately struggling to live lives which are increasingly stressed on a small island which is now too small for them all.

One of you has asked in a response on page one of this thread >> Why, if Britain is so bad is London full of tourists ? The answer is plain it is full of tourists because many tourists believe it is still British.

A comment written the other day in a UK newspaper said that London could no longer be considered British.

I lived in London in 1960 - 1961. The last time I was there many years ago I could hardly recognise the place.

Many have probably forgotten that successive Governments over the last few decades in Britain have doen a good job ruining the education system, made free dental treatment virtually a thing of the past and are now hell bent on destroying the NHS. On Monday it was reported that next year 3.5 million children in the UK will be living below the poverty line. The brave words of Mr. Cameron about the his " Big Society " in his manifesto should have read his " Big Broken Society."

I am not one to talk down my country in fact I very rarely talk about it, but I cannot support its direction nor it`s inept Governmental dithering, apathy and stupidity. Last weekend we saw the grass roots of those demonstrating on St. Pauls Cathedral steps who are at last speaking out against Corporatism. The control of Government by corporate lobbyists. The Labour Party and the liberals want to introduce a bill making it mandatory for all MP`s to declare who is supporting them as if they didn`t get enough pay for the job.

I enclose below what the BBC Text stated yesterday morning on Mr.Camerons reply to this request. I can see their reasons for wanting to buy some time before implimenting this proposal.How many years has this been going on >> decades >> Why do they need more time >> ? >> I leave the commenting on it to you.

I would add that one final comment >> Politicians of all parties have always failed to recognise that British Ex-Pats are all ambassadors of the Uk. We live our lives in other countries ( I have lived in four others ) How we behave while outside Britain and how we live our lives is important to Britain. In the last few years I personally continually feel ashamed by the British Government as over the expenses scandal and now over lobbyists control and influence.

All Ex-Pats meet many thousands more Spanish people every day than the British Ambassador could ever do in Madrid. He, I am sure gets paid a handsome salary with the perks of the job. But when it comes to budget day every year and the thought of having to pay us ex-pats pensions or benefits, we Ex-pats are conveniently forgotten about. Beneficial increases are only allowed for those who have remained in the Uk and have not in their view deserted the sinking ship like rats in the dark.
BBC NEWS TEXT
No 10 won`t speed lobbying rule
Downing Street says the government is
not going to speed up it`s proposals to
regulate the lobbying industry in
response to the Liam Fox row.
The prime ministers official spokesman
said "These are separate things.
There's always been a policy to move to
a statutory register of lobbying..
That work has been ongoing.
Sir Gus O`Donnefl's report on Mr. Fox is
expected to be published an Tuesday.
Anything relevant to lobbying in it
"would be taken into account".
OMG
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
OMG

did you read it??!!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 6:56 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

did you read it??!!
Yeah, and it made very interesting..........I like the bit about you all being unpaid ambassadors......
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:18 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Yeah, and it made very interesting..........I like the bit about you all being unpaid ambassadors......
Never thought of it that way before.

Maybe we should all send a claim in to number 10.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:42 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I'll say it again. Government is a tool to maintain the status quo and prevent a fair system arising. Fortunately for those at the top, the British voters can be relied on to keep voting for a system that continues to oppress them.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:02 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If OP was an Ambassador, he would be sacked.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:11 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by micheal o-flynn
The Labour Party and the liberals want to introduce a bill making it mandatory for all MP`s to declare who is supporting them as if they didn`t get enough pay for the job.
Yeah. I have only three words to sum this up.

Christmas, voting, & Turkeys.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:16 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

er....NEXT
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:32 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah. I have only three words to sum this up.

Christmas, voting, & Turkeys.
If the UK govt gave everybody a free turkey at Christmas, you'd probably complain and say they should all have two.

Oh and maybe an extra one for all of us unpaid ambassadors slaving away in the Spanish sunshine.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo

er....NEXT

I think you should be the one to leave the forum............
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

er....NEXT
I bet you came into this thread thinking it might have been about Spain! Nothing changes!
Old Oct 19th 2011, 9:31 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
If the UK govt gave everybody a free turkey at Christmas, you'd probably complain and say they should all have two.

Oh and maybe an extra one for all of us unpaid ambassadors slaving away in the Spanish sunshine.
¿Que?

If the gov't gave me a free turkey, I know full well that they would be taking away from me far more than that with their other hand.