Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unmarried couples with children

Unmarried couples with children

Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all
Default Unmarried couples with children

Hi
There is loads of fantastic advice on this forum but I can't find anything about having children but not being married.
I know there tax allowances/concessions for residents with children but does anyone know if I can claim these or would it be their father? If we were to get married would I still be able to claim them?
Are there any other legal matters I need to find out about regarding this, buying property etc.?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unmarried couples with children

Originally Posted by sunnydee
Hi
There is loads of fantastic advice on this forum but I can't find anything about having children but not being married.
I know there tax allowances/concessions for residents with children but does anyone know if I can claim these or would it be their father? If we were to get married would I still be able to claim them?
Are there any other legal matters I need to find out about regarding this, buying property etc.?
Do you have no shame woman???
The very thought of a child being raised in such a moral vacuum makes me fear for it's future, a pimp or murderer at best is my prediction, get thee to the church and seek the forgiveness of the Lord!!

I have no idea as to your eligibility for allowances.

Humble(ish) apology
OK, OK, it's a fair cop I really am a neutral on the unmarried mother thing, I am very sorry if you thought my reply was anything other than the quite frankly hilarious prank it was intended to be!
Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited by leighbloke; Mar 10th 2007 at 4:26 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry I can't help you regarding the children/allowances information; but when we recently bought a piece of land, the deeds had to be re-written because the solicitor hadn't realised that we weren't married!! (He hadn't asked, and we hadn't realised that it made a difference!)

Also, leighbloke - having read a few of your posts, I'm sure you meant your reply to be tongue in cheek
However, don't you think that it might be a bit off-putting to a new poster!?
The poor person might be terrifed to respond or to ask any more questions!

Do put sunnydee's mind at rest, won't you?
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
From what I've learned, marriage is regarded very importantly over here, and so a lot of the legal stuff won't apply to you as an unmarried couple, for instance inheritence allowances etc. Don't know if it extends to tax allowances though, Freds the expert

Better make it legal
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

Thanks Brisca,
Leighbloke I will chain up the kids (yes I've done it twice!) to prevent them from committing hideous crimes as adults.
Actually I think (if statistics are correct) that we have been behaving sinfully for a lot longer than couples who get divorced have been together. I will blame the other half for having never popped the question and for leading me on all this time.
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
From what I have told that if you have children together you are classed as being married.
That is what I have been told.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Do you have no shame woman???
The very thought of a child being raised in such a moral vacuum makes me fear for it's future, a pimp or murderer at best is my prediction, get thee to the church and seek the forgiveness of the Lord!!

I have no idea as to your eligibility for allowances.

Humble(ish) apology
OK, OK, it's a fair cop I really am a neutral on the unmarried mother thing, I am very sorry if you thought my reply was anything other than the quite frankly hilarious prank it was intended to be!
Welcome to the forum!!
Well I thought it was funny
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
I'm sorry I can't help you regarding the children/allowances information; but when we recently bought a piece of land, the deeds had to be re-written because the solicitor hadn't realised that we weren't married!! (He hadn't asked, and we hadn't realised that it made a difference!)

Also, leighbloke - having read a few of your posts, I'm sure you meant your reply to be tongue in cheek
However, don't you think that it might be a bit off-putting to a new poster!?
The poor person might be terrifed to respond or to ask any more questions!

Do put sunnydee's mind at rest, won't you?
Done, you're probably right, the poor girl is probably running through streets, rosary in hand as I type!!
Old Mar 10th 2007, 4:39 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
and just to add you can register as a couple at the council and then you get the same benifits, again so i have ben told.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well I thought it was funny
I thought it was funny too!
I just thought that it could be taken seriously by a new poster, and that would be a shame.
leighbloke has done a lovely job of adding a "PS", and sunnydee has obviously got a good sense of humour - so all is well
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unmarried couples with children

Hi
Hi and welcome sunnydee,

Don't know much about having kids out of wedlock Kath and I have been together for 47yrs and married for 40 come August so I can't comment on that but I do know that Spanish law is hot on your "Civil State" when you buy property.

We have just completed on our plot and our Civil State is referred to in the document (the Escritura).

Since when we make Spanish wills we would want to each leave our share to the children not to each other (to minimise inhertitance tax) we had to state that our ownership was separate for assets eg. "regimen matrimonial is separacion de bienes". This is a concept that does not exist under English Law.

From this I would guess that you will have to be very careful in that to be a modern democratic State Spain will have changed some Law to avoid conflict with Europe but others will relect the roots of a long held firm belief in Catholicism.

Regards,

John.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You must know you are expected to be married if you buy a double bed, hence the Spanish name for it. ;-)

Last edited by jdr; Mar 10th 2007 at 6:38 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I'm sure we will just have to get the exact info. for each thing we intend to do. When we bought our house in the UK we had to decide if we were joint tenancy or tenents in common.
My main concern was about the tax situation because I will be the one earning a secure income to start with.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Unmarried couples with children

Thanks. I'm sure we will just have to get the exact info. for each thing we intend to do. When we bought our house in the UK we had to decide if we were joint tenancy or tenents in common.
My main concern was about the tax situation because I will be the one earning a secure income to start with.
Hi sunnydee,

"Regimen matrimonial is separacion de bienes", is similar to tenants in common.

Regards,

John.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't help with the kids question, but my other half and I aren't married (gasp!) but we've bought the house together and file taxes together.. sorta.

We both file individually, but our names are linked. Which means that when he was owed money back this year (Hurrah!), and I had to pay money (BooHiss!) that he got a letter saying "You don't get anything. We're using your refund to pay your girlfriend's bill. Nyah Nyah." Heh. (But I did request that!)

But we're in Catalunya and as far as I can tell, it might be different up here.