Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UNicaja online pronblems

UNicaja online pronblems

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:07 am
老外

Beachhutman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UNicaja online pronblems

Sorry to be a bore if this has been covered, but I can't find a thread.
I have a Unicaja account, and have all the online stuff; Username/number, password, PIN, and that little card with codes on it. I can visit the account online and check balances, and made sure I could do that before Ileft Spain for a few months. HOWEVER I just needed to set up a debit instruction, followed all the steps, entered the code from the little card, and ...... got told that I was not authorized to do that. So I emailed them and got a reply, which broadly seems to say, "Good grief man! You're only allowed to LOOK at your account, not to actually DO anything! You'll have to go to a bank to set up a payment"

Now I may be thick, but I seem to have all the stuff, I've visited and signed stuff, been given PIN and passwords, changed my password for one I rememeber, signed for my code card, and now I am WORKING IN CHINA. So I can't just pop into the bank at least until October. A bit of a fix. Has anyone any experience of unlocking this additional hurdle to actually USING Unicaja online?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UNicaja online pronblems

Originally Posted by Beachhutman
Sorry to be a bore if this has been covered, but I can't find a thread.
I have a Unicaja account, and have all the online stuff; Username/number, password, PIN, and that little card with codes on it. I can visit the account online and check balances, and made sure I could do that before Ileft Spain for a few months. HOWEVER I just needed to set up a debit instruction, followed all the steps, entered the code from the little card, and ...... got told that I was not authorized to do that. So I emailed them and got a reply, which broadly seems to say, "Good grief man! You're only allowed to LOOK at your account, not to actually DO anything! You'll have to go to a bank to set up a payment"

Now I may be thick, but I seem to have all the stuff, I've visited and signed stuff, been given PIN and passwords, changed my password for one I rememeber, signed for my code card, and now I am WORKING IN CHINA. So I can't just pop into the bank at least until October. A bit of a fix. Has anyone any experience of unlocking this additional hurdle to actually USING Unicaja online?
Until you get to the bank to sort it, can you not do a bank transfer to their account ?
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Is it an international payment you're trying to set up, by any chance?

I know that some banks, for whatever reason, are more picky about that.

I still have UK account with abbey and can do most things online. However I can't make transfers to a non-uk account without going into a branch. What's more, they told me the branch that I also have to make a prior appointment because not all staff are authorised to do it, to have zillions of forms of ID and even the postal address of the bank I'm transferring to, the IBAN was not sufficient! Grrrr!

(There now, that feels better)

Last edited by rachelk; Aug 23rd 2008 at 8:16 am. Reason: online not inline
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably not much help to you, but when I was offered online banking at Cajasur I was asked if I wanted just to view the account or to be able to make payments/transfer money etc as apparantley this is 2 seperate options and the setting up is different. I only chose the viewing option so it sounds like a similar thing with Unicaja.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:18 pm
老外

HA! One wonders WHY? Just love of bureaucracy maybe. It's a bugger, they didn't tell me that
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
老外

NO, an internal, spanish one, even to the same BANK!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 3:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It may be that the bank computer recognises that the transaction is coming from a computer outside of Spain, some are primed to only allow certain functions of the bank from outside the country.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It may be that the bank computer recognises that the transaction is coming from a computer outside of Spain, some are primed to only allow certain functions of the bank from outside the country.
Good point Mike, maybe to stop money laundering access.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 4:51 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Good point Mike, maybe to stop money laundering access.
No.Like all the banks the longer they keep using your money they are making money,you think of it as a refused transaction and it s only x ammount.But multiply that by all the people every day,They have billions and billions of free money to make money.Look at western union.Some one in the uk payes in.A few clicks on the pc,20 mins later you can draw it out in spain
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 5:13 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Mike you have hit the nail on the head, we once had a similar problem with access our bank whilst out of Spain.

Should add; Looking at the OPs details on the left they seem to be located in China too.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Aug 23rd 2008 at 5:15 pm. Reason: OPs details ---me old china!
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:09 am
老外

I work in China most of the year, this is where my company is. (Anyone wanting a look, www dot platform27 dot co.uk/beachhutman ). Oddly, I have no trouble with ATMs here inside China, or paying with my Unicaja Maestro card when I travel. I will only - at present - get to Spain maybe 12 weeks a year. After the bank account was set up - by my solicitors - I was in and out of the bank with passport and stuff and signed a lot of stuff, and was given this little green card of codes. I have used it to change my password already, and THAT is not something they should allow a "non authorized" user to do!! So basically VERY puzzled. I don't know what else that can "authorize" me, but their reply says I need to go into a branch to set up a transfer! Competely baffling and infuriating.