Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unexpected visitors

Unexpected visitors

Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:48 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected visitors

Originally Posted by jimenato
Gis a clue!
Google Jeri Ryan and turn safesearch off....
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:13 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

On my short journey through life I’ve been constantly surprised by new discoveries, from Dolly the sheep though to successfully transporting particles through time, even though it was just across the Danube.

It turned me into a believer. I believe in aliens, ghosts, a parallel universe, anything at all. If one turns up on my doorstep, I can only hope it’s a female, preferably with a nice bum.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:37 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Interesting, thirty years into space on a five year mission and still transmitting and receiving.
Radio signals generated by other planets and solar systems have been picked up for many years.
A radio signal does not neccessarily have to be directed to and from one specific point or planet and can cover a wide spectum of the universe.
Also once out into space there is nothing to attenuate the signal until contact is made with another atmosphere or planet.
Ahhhhh, I fear we have made a slight error.

The difference between a laser and a spotlight is that the laser is coherent and parallel. That means it travels further, but can only be aimed at a pinpoint in the sky. The spot light covers more, but attenuates far faster, and every grain of dust reduces its power.

Radio fires out in all directions, but attenuates. It actually 'covers' the entire universe, so gets almost infinitely attenuated, ie undetectable fairly quickly.

I presume the transmitter you refer to is the one on the probe heading out of the solar system. We are a fraction, a tiny fraction of a lightyear from it. We can only just pick it up, and by the time that the expanding signal wavefront reaches A Centauri, just 4 light years away, thjere will be next to nothing to detect. What price detecting it 1,000 lightyears away?

Oh yes. One more point please? I'd love to know where we have been receiving signals in radio from other planets and solar systems?

I'm pretty sure that the only such signals are generated by particular solar masses, quasars etc. There certainly hasn't been anything detected that has intelligent origens.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil

There certainly hasn't been anything detected that has intelligent origens.

Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
I'm glad you find that amusing. It's a simple factual statement. Care to share the joke?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
I'm glad you find that amusing. It's a simple factual statement. Care to share the joke?

no you wouldnt get it
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:55 pm
bil
Banned

no you wouldnt get it
I can see a possible joke, but it's puerile and tedious.

Ooooppps. Of course, I was forgetting who you were.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
I can see a possible joke, but it's puerile and tedious.

Ooooppps. Of course, I was forgetting who you were.

Miaow
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:06 pm
bil
Banned

Miaow
No no, as always we are in awe of your intelligent, witty and thoughtful posts.

Do please continue to enlighten us oh wise one.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:25 pm
bil
Banned

Oh yes. re your zealous defence of the indefensible. What was that quote?

Oh yes.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much........
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

ach, here we go.

Are we all going to get tarred with the same brush again?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
On my short journey through life I’ve been constantly surprised by new discoveries, from Dolly the sheep though to successfully transporting particles through time, even though it was just across the Danube.

It turned me into a believer. I believe in aliens, ghosts, a parallel universe, anything at all. If one turns up on my doorstep, I can only hope it’s a female, preferably with a nice bum.
I believe too but not bothered about bums.

Scientists can be so boring.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:57 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
OK, look at what I wrote. I am prepared to say it might happen, BUT, and it's a massive BUT, I see it as so unfeasible that it really doesn't need much planning for. Anyway, if they came, what's the odds of our planning being valid? Our planning for the flu virus is pretty sketchy, and that's a real thing that is very much a potential threat.

Do you really think that they will be that different?

Consider this. (Not wishing to sound patronising, but if you don't have the science, some of this may not be clear.)

First off, unless they are some weird form of plasma derived life, my money is on them looking and behaving much like us. Why? well, let's look.

1. They will be a carbon based life form.
2. They will operate at similar temps to us.
3. They will be bipedal with two legs.
4. They will be of a similar build to us with variations wrto the mass of
their home planet.

Reasons.

1. Carbon is the ONLY element that can make weak branching bonds.
2. The chemical reactions that sustain life need a liquid medium to work in
that has a very wide ability to dissolve materials.
3. It is improbably that they will not evolve from a water based life form.
Anything that evolves in water has to evolve to look similar because the
forces acting on them will be the same everywhere in the universe.
Aquatic reptiles, fish and mammals ALL look much the same. Legs evolve from fins, fins are placed on the curves of a sine wave for maximum push, and a fish is essentially a sine wave. Bend it thus and you will see that the pelvic and pectoral fins fall on the outer curves, and there are two in a sine wave. Make a fish that needs three pairs of fins and the curve becomes too long and cumbersome. This isn't proof, but it just places the probabilities waaaay over to the likelihood of fish developing as they have here.

Had dinosaurs not been wiped out, they would almost certainly evolved into a small bipedal form that would have filled the niche now occupied by apes.

They would probably have looked like us but with reptilian traces and ancestry.

4. Evolution is the survival of the fittest, and the human build is what worked best.

There are, in the history of evolution many routes by which things might have travelled, but at the end, our way of doing things works. To me the odds are that they would be bipedal, stand upright, have their sensory apparatus on a 'head', drink water and breathe air, because what else is there to breathe or drink?

Extreme environments are far less likely to spawn life as the initial stages are very fragile. In addition, if we accept the theory of panspermia, then all life has a common origen, no matter on which planet it evolves.
Or was it the human brain that worked best? Survival of the fittest isn't necessarily a physical matter.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Ahhhhh, I fear we have made a slight error.

The difference between a laser and a spotlight is that the laser is coherent and parallel. That means it travels further, but can only be aimed at a pinpoint in the sky. The spot light covers more, but attenuates far faster, and every grain of dust reduces its power.

Radio fires out in all directions, but attenuates. It actually 'covers' the entire universe, so gets almost infinitely attenuated, ie undetectable fairly quickly.

I presume the transmitter you refer to is the one on the probe heading out of the solar system. We are a fraction, a tiny fraction of a lightyear from it. We can only just pick it up, and by the time that the expanding signal wavefront reaches A Centauri, just 4 light years away, thjere will be next to nothing to detect. What price detecting it 1,000 lightyears away?

Oh yes. One more point please? I'd love to know where we have been receiving signals in radio from other planets and solar systems?

I'm pretty sure that the only such signals are generated by particular solar masses, quasars etc. There certainly hasn't been anything detected that has intelligent origens.
So I can take it that the ones with no intelligent origin could well have come from BE . ?

To be serious, I did not claim the signals had intelligent origins, and as you say they are believed to have been generated by objects way out in space.

Regarding the probe which was sent out in 72, it's truly amazing it's signals can still be detected all these years later, when it was only designed to operate for five years,so there doesnt appear to be very much out there to attenuate the signal to any great degree.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Just hope she has all the other bits and pieces present and correct and doesn't arrive with too much baggage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.