Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Unexpected 'Maternity leave in Spain' question.

Unexpected 'Maternity leave in Spain' question.

Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Question Unexpected 'Maternity leave in Spain' question.

Im doubtful on this. But to qualify for Spanish Maternity pay. Does anyone know if the "Minimum social security contribution of 180 days" means actual physical days worked? Or a period of being in employment and paying in (& therefore including weekends) We're due to move out there in a few weeks with a company worked for, for about 10 years. I've just found we 'may' have a little surprise that would mean we'd be 10/11 weeks up the duff when starting to pay in. We're about to let the company know. But we'd like to know what the facts are first.

So, that would equate to 203 days physical days in Spain till the due date. But only 138 working days (with Spanish holidays & weekends accounted for)

So does anyone know definitively what the 180 days means? As its quite the dealbreaker.

Cheers.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 10:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unexpected 'Maternity leave in Spain' question.

Sorry, I have no idea at all but just wanted to say congratulations to you.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Sorry, I have no idea at all but just wanted to say congratulations to you.

Rosemary
Many thanks. Its more of a surprise than youll ever know though! Its funny how things work out. It took ten years, being told egg levels were "undetectable" (two years ago now!) and two courses of IVF, and despite being double dosed on every IVF stimulation drug possible, the wife only managed to pop out one last egg, (which miracuously fertilised & went to term). Now quite literally the month after finishing breastfeeding the first one. Whammo!...naturally at 42 . Not quite sure how its happened tbh lol
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t2uds
Many thanks. Its more of a surprise than youll ever know though! Its funny how things work out. It took ten years, being told egg levels were "undetectable" (two years ago now!) and two courses of IVF, and despite being double dosed on every IVF stimulation drug possible, the wife only managed to pop out one last egg, (which miracuously fertilised & went to term). Now quite literally the month after finishing breastfeeding the first one. Whammo!...naturally at 42 . Not quite sure how its happened tbh lol
Even bigger reason for me to say congratulations, I really am thrilled for you both. Nature is so strange, stunting you for so long and then giving you the prizes. As for you not knowing how it happened..........hmmm..........if you do not know at your age........nothing more to say.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all

Thanks Rosemary, you have said everything that I was going to say but managed to type faster.

t2uds, I am sorry that I can't help with your question but I wish you all the very best if luck and hope everything works out well. Many congratulations.

Kath
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

As for you not knowing how it happened..........hmmm..........if you do not know at your age........nothing more to say.

Rosemary
Oh I know how that part happened. The full blame lies with a week in Madeira.
After 26 years together...things tend to only happen on holidays or birthdays....
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
Thanks Rosemary, you have said everything that I was going to say but managed to type faster.

t2uds, I am sorry that I can't help with your question but I wish you all the very best if luck and hope everything works out well. Many congratulations.

Kath
Ta Kath.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Does anyone know anywhere else useful I could ask?
Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:38 pm

Send a PM to http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...nspain-140068/, I would have thought that they could answer your question.

Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Send a PM to http://britishexpats.com/forum/membe...nspain-140068/, I would have thought that they could answer your question.

Rosemary
Will do. Thanks very much Rosemary
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I know how that part happened. The full blame lies with a week in Madeira.
After 26 years together...things tend to only happen on holidays or birthdays....
Congrats - it took us 5 years and a week in Benidorm
never took her back to Spain and never had any more kids.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Unexpected 'Maternity leave in Spain' question.

Rosemary
Sent them a message. And a follow up message when i didnt get a reply. I can see theyve logged in a few times since. But ive had no joy in getting any kind of info/response from them at all.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:04 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked for same employer for 10 years should count for something?

Why not discuss with your employer. IMHO, it's a bit sneaky to accept a re-assignment to Spain and then spring it on them..... If that is what you intended to do?

PS: Congratulations on baby

Last edited by missile; Jul 11th 2014 at 7:08 am.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 3:24 pm

Sent them a message. And a follow up message when i didnt get a reply. I can see theyve logged in a few times since. But ive had no joy in getting any kind of info/response from them at all.
There is also the CAB in Spain on Facebook. Maybe worth asking them, I think that you have to request joining the group and gain approval before you can ask a question but it may be worth a try.

Rosemary
Old Jul 12th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Having worked for same employer for 10 years should count for something?

Why not discuss with your employer. IMHO, it's a bit sneaky to accept a re-assignment to Spain and then spring it on them..... If that is what you intended to do?

PS: Congratulations on baby
It should. But a change in country also means a change in contract with a few new Spanish tweeks forthcoming. So nothing sneaky at all going on lol. My wife has a meeting with the bigwigs next week to discuss. They wont discrimate againts her for being pregnant. They're a great company and shes amazing at her job. So it wont effect the move on their part. But theres nothing wrong with a little background knowledge so as to know what to expect before the meeting. And a lack of eligablity for maternity cover is definately something we'd like to know where we stand before we make a decision.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.