Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Understanding Spanish

Understanding Spanish

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Understanding Spanish

Although we've been here a few months now, our Spanish isn't great, especially when people talk really fast, or when you try to understand the real colloquial Spanish they talk around here where they knock the 's' off of the end of every plural and join it to the beginning of the next word...!

Today, there was a knock at the door. Or rather, it was more of a hammer than a knock. We peered out and were greeted with our next door neighbour and an old lady, both extremely flustered, both rattling off Spanish at 150 miles an hour. After about 30 seconds without pausing for breath, they both stopped dead and looked at us expecting an answer...

There was a pause as Mrs Twyntub and I exchanged a horrified glance, both thinking "what the hell are they going on about?".

Then our six year old daughter looked up and calmly said:
"This lady has lost her dog. Its a puppy and it's name is ____, it's black - it's black all over, and it's quite small. They want to know if we've seen it. She lives in the village, opposite the medical centre. Please can we go and look for the dog? Can we? Please?"

Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Understanding Spanish

Originally Posted by twyntub
Although we've been here a few months now, our Spanish isn't great, especially when people talk really fast, or when you try to understand the real colloquial Spanish they talk around here where they knock the 's' off of the end of every plural and join it to the beginning of the next word...!

Today, there was a knock at the door. Or rather, it was more of a hammer than a knock. We peered out and were greeted with our next door neighbour and an old lady, both extremely flustered, both rattling off Spanish at 150 miles an hour. After about 30 seconds without pausing for breath, they both stopped dead and looked at us expecting an answer...

There was a pause as Mrs Twyntub and I exchanged a horrified glance, both thinking "what the hell are they going on about?".

"This lady has lost her dog. Its a puppy and it's name is ____, it's black - it's black all over, and it's quite small. They want to know if we've seen it. She lives in the village, opposite the medical centre. Please can we go and look for the dog? Can we? Please?"

Well done to your little girl, you must be extremely proud of her mastery of the language. But, at the same time it makes you feel really sick that she can understand so quickly and clearly as this makes you feel even worse about your lack of language skills. I think that when people are intense about something it is hard to understand them as they string the words together more than usual so even more power to your daughter for her translation.

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Well done to your little girl, you must be extremely proud of her mastery of the language. But, at the same time it makes you feel really sick that she can understand so quickly and clearly as this makes you feel even worse about your lack of language skills. I think that when people are intense about something it is hard to understand them as they string the words together more than usual so even more power to your daughter for her translation.

Rosemary
Forgot to add that if you even feel that your daughter could benefit from being fostered out I know a very good couple who would love to take her in. They are a little odd but their heart is in the right place and they would promise not to use her as slave labour too often, honest.

Rosemary
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

How absolutely wonderful
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:35 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Amazing!!! Well done to your little girl
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
It makes you so proud - although as you say, one feels a little silly, especially when the neighbours realise and continue the conversation not with ourselves but with our daughter!!

It just doesn't matter how hard we try, it's almost impossible to keep up with high-speed conversational Spanish. Yet to see our daughter today, she didn't break sweat - it's like she's always lived here!!! Absolutely incredible!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

It makes you so proud - although as you say, one feels a little silly, especially when the neighbours realise and continue the conversation not with ourselves but with our daughter!!

It just doesn't matter how hard we try, it's almost impossible to keep up with high-speed conversational Spanish. Yet to see our daughter today, she didn't break sweat - it's like she's always lived here!!! Absolutely incredible!
It makes me feel so stupid!
It was one of my main aims when I came here to learn the language quickly, but it hasn't happened that way.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:03 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

What a darling ..

Don't despair, it just takes a little longer to learn a new language when you are older, but you'll get there too..
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:07 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yeah..........
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:43 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to meeting her when we meet up next weekend, she can order for us in the cafe
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:19 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It was one of my main aims when I came here to learn the language quickly, but it hasn't happened that way.
Spain is a great leveller!
At the end of the day it doesn't matter who you were, what you did, or what success you may achieved back in the UK......all that matters is what you can do right now.
And I'll hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of people who go back are the ones who were unable to reach a reasonable level of competence in the language.
You can swing it to some degree living on the Costas....but out here you're going to have serious problems without a degree of communication skills.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:06 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought we could only write in English on this forum
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:53 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice piece of Spanish. The top one appears to be a small commentary on genetics, and the bottom one is conflict between war and viniculture.

I can't get the middle one because I'm having trouble with the adjectives. An ethical cat?

Last edited by jdr; Feb 3rd 2008 at 1:47 pm. Reason: Sorry English only
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
My wife has trouble with her 'rs'...
Greetings from 20 miles down the A10.

I think it's just a nonsense rhyme like 'Jabberwocky'.

My ex-wife used to have trouble with her 'Rs' as well. Usually through trying to fit it into size 12 jeans.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
P has a bitch, and G has a vine. P's bitch climbed G's vine. G hit the bitch with a stick/club. P said to G, why have you hit my bitch with your stick?

G replied, if your bitch had not climbed my vine, I would not have had to hit your bitch with my stick
That's a bit harsh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.