Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Underestimated costs

Underestimated costs

Old May 31st 2016, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Underestimated costs

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... after Romania, Lithuania, Slovakia, and Latvia.
They are ex communist countries where people were mainly given a house for free, so they are not obsessed with house buying at all
Old May 31st 2016, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

dibyrne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
When you say international school do you mean the Lady Elizabeth school?

Xabia International College.
Old May 31st 2016, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

For us the consideration is how to best use the cash - buy in Spain or use the money to buy a cash generating asset. We use BTL as it's what we know. With BTL I can get 8% yield, so £250k in UK property will gross about £20k and net about £14k less tax . The break even point is about €1400 a month. Although we might be able to rent a villa worth more than £250,000 for €1400 per month, but, as I said, there's not a lot about. And the other potential issue is rent might go up in Spain quicker than the UK, and exchange rate fluctuation.

Last edited by dibyrne; May 31st 2016 at 6:55 pm.
Old May 31st 2016, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dibyrne
For us the consideration is how to best use the cash - buy in Spain or use the money to buy a cash generating asset. We use BTL as it's what we know. With BTL I can get 8% yield, so £250k in UK property will gross about £20k and net about £14k less tax . The break even point is about €1400 a month. Although we might be able to rent a villa worth more than £250,000 for €1400 per month, but, as I said, there's not a lot about. And the other potential issue is rent might go up in Spain quicker than the UK, and exchange rate fluctuation.
In general you would also expect appreciation of your asset to be far greater if invested in UK property, having said that if you can't find anywhere to rent and you really want to be in Xabia then maybe the decision is easier
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It is impossible to predict the future

You need to think whether you actually want to buy or want to rent in Spain, and base it on those grounds

A house in Spain is not a good investment unless you are going to live in it and enjoy it for the next 10-20 years or more. So it is incredibly important that you have the right area and you have a guaranteed income for that time

The 10% property sales tax every time you buy kills you

If you can't commit to that, then rent
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Question would be why are you so focused on Xabia and don't you think there would be other more affordable nice areas with international schools?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Question would be why are you so focused on Xabia and don't you think there would be other more affordable nice areas with international schools?
I'm open to other prospects, but it's the mixture of beautiful mountainous area that, in contrast to some of the cheaper areas, is not too overbuilt and does not look like a wastelcnd, locals and expats and working town that is still busy in winter, plus a really good school. Also, my partner agreed to the move, but he does not want to live in a really dry zone and the Xabia region has a bit of greenery (nor does he want to live in the north)

We have plans to return in September and see if we can find somewhere else, but the only one I've come up with so far on paper is Nerja, but that looks even more costly. Any ideas would be welcome.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm open to other prospects, but it's the mixture of beautiful mountainous area that, in contrast to some of the cheaper areas, is not too overbuilt and does not look like a wastelcnd, locals and expats and working town that is still busy in winter, plus a really good school. Also, my partner agreed to the move, but he does not want to live in a really dry zone and the Xabia region has a bit of greenery (nor does he want to live in the north)

We have plans to return in September and see if we can find somewhere else, but the only one I've come up with so far on paper is Nerja, but that looks even more costly. Any ideas would be welcome.

Just asking as there seems to be plenty of other areas in Spain. When you say North, does he mean North of Spain, or further North along the med coast? I'm only really familiar with Costa Brava/Catalonia, but that would seem to tick all boxes when you say mixture of beautiful mountainous area that, in contrast to some of the cheaper areas, is not too overbuilt and does not look like a wasteland, locals and expats and working town that is still busy in winter, plus a really good school.

I can't comment on school, but I know that there is a St Georges School outside Girona and you have plenty of cheaper areas to live that wouldn't be too far from Girona and the coast.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This would be an urbanisation you find all over the area and houses are still very affordable + only 15-20 mins drive to international school. Very green, still great weather and excellent coast + you aren't far from Barcelona or France
Attached Thumbnails Underestimated costs-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 1st 2016 at 9:41 am.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had a look around the Jalon valley area or if coast is a must Benissa costa, i think in one of your previous post you said you were looking at a few houses in Moraira but thought maybe its too quiet for you in winter.

This is of course a matter of opinion but i regard these areas as nicer than those around Javea and there is a very well regarded lnternational senior school in Lliber that is not far away, dont know costs of the one in Javea but the Lliber one is around €9500 a year, maybe worth a look if you haven't already
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
Have you had a look around the Jalon valley area or if coast is a must Benissa costa, i think in one of your previous post you said you were looking at a few houses in Moraira but thought maybe its too quiet for you in winter.

This is of course a matter of opinion but i regard these areas as nicer than those around Javea and there is a very well regarded lnternational senior school in Lliber that is not far away, dont know costs of the one in Javea but the Lliber one is around €9500 a year, maybe worth a look if you haven't already
Seems to be a great area too and is Moraira really that quiet?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It is impossible to predict the future

You need to think whether you actually want to buy or want to rent in Spain, and base it on those grounds

A house in Spain is not a good investment unless you are going to live in it and enjoy it for the next 10-20 years or more. So it is incredibly important that you have the right area and you have a guaranteed income for that time

The 10% property sales tax every time you buy kills you

If you can't commit to that, then rent
Agree totally, if you're especially if you are pensioners.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your ideas, so places I am not familiar with, so will do some research. We did look at Moraira, but it was a little out of the way for the school, but also not much sub-€300k which was not pokey and on a small plot.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Seems to be a great area too and is Moraira really that quiet?
I would say no, there's no doubt it's a holiday area so is quieter in winter but as has been said they are all a bit like that, the market on Fridays always causes traffic hold ups no matter what time of year it is, having said that the one's in Benissa and Teulada are better according to my better half!
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your ideas, so places I am not familiar with, so will do some research. We did look at Moraira, but it was a little out of the way for the school, but also not much sub-€300k which was not pokey and on a small plot.
Yes it's not cheaper, similar if not slightly higher prices than Javea, take a look around the area if you are still there, Lady Elizabeth school is from Moraira/Benissa Costa around 15mins so may be an alternative and will give you a wider area to look for rentals and will provide in abundance the green/mountain/coast area you are looking for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.