Reload this Page >

UN ex-staff retired in Spain

UN ex-staff retired in Spain

Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UN ex-staff retired in Spain

Hello,

Does anyone know, or know of anyone who has retired on a UNJSPF (United Nations) pension in Spain?

I understand such pensions are legally designated as tax free in Spain BUT this is ignored by the local tax authorities and one has to pay the tax and then take the tax office to court based on the legal ruling of the Supreme Court of Andalucia to get the tax returned.

Does anyone, by any chance, know any more about this or a lawyer thats handled such a case?

I am looking to retire in Spain on my pension (UN) and this would make a huge difference to my
finances and consequently what I can buy (house).

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Re: Superior Court of Justice of Catalonia, decision number 326 /2007, dated March 28 2007 which ruled that pensions paid after cessation of office and employment as a United Nations official were exempt from taxation as being “emoluments”.(See Schwarz on Tax Treaties 3rd Edition (CCH) Chapter 2 para 10-175 on the exemption for UN employees)
Old Jun 17th 2020, 1:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UN ex-staff retired in Spain

I would suggest you ask your employer and/or your colleagues at the UN.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
I would suggest you ask your employer and/or your colleagues at the UN.
I have tried both of these. I, sadly, don't know any ex colleagues who retired to Spain. The pension will not offer comment on member states individual laws.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I am very surprised your employer cannot assist you. My employer issues a quarterly magazine to ex employees. There is an active ex employee group who help each other. Perhaps you could search on line via social media? Good luck :-)
Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by June W
Hello,

Does anyone know, or know of anyone who has retired on a UNJSPF (United Nations) pension in Spain?

I understand such pensions are legally designated as tax free in Spain BUT this is ignored by the local tax authorities and one has to pay the tax and then take the tax office to court based on the legal ruling of the Supreme Court of Andalucia to get the tax returned.

Does anyone, by any chance, know any more about this or a lawyer thats handled such a case?

I am looking to retire in Spain on my pension (UN) and this would make a huge difference to my
finances and consequently what I can buy (house).

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Re: Superior Court of Justice of Catalonia, decision number 326 /2007, dated March 28 2007 which ruled that pensions paid after cessation of office and employment as a United Nations official were exempt from taxation as being “emoluments”.(See Schwarz on Tax Treaties 3rd Edition (CCH) Chapter 2 para 10-175 on the exemption for UN employees)
U.K. Government pensions are not taxed in Spain nor are EU pensions both are taxed at source before payment. Problems can occur with lump sum payments draw them before you become resident to be sure. I would think UN PENSIONS would fall into this category, most countries have a double taxation agree to with Spain that covers this area. However you do declare the amount of such pensions on your tax form and it does affect the tax rate on your other income. It is worth noting that if all you have in addition is a U.K. State Pension these are so poor you might not pay tax if you are over 67.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. The only country in Europe with an agreement is Austria although Portugal has a loophole, not only for UN pensions. A few of the UN staff in Valencia and Brindisi approaching retirement are considering Portugal as their home base for that reason. Are you working in Spain at the moment? My wife and I are based in UNICTF/UNGSC
Old Jun 23rd 2020, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanNico
Hi. The only country in Europe with an agreement is Austria although Portugal has a loophole, not only for UN pensions. A few of the UN staff in Valencia and Brindisi approaching retirement are considering Portugal as their home base for that reason. Are you working in Spain at the moment? My wife and I are based in UNICTF/UNGSC
I am not is Spain at the moment, currently in UK (which because of a ruling on tax agreements with US only taxes UN retirees a reduced amount of tax .... came to about 9% in my case). But the UK is too cold for me and don't want to live here in retirement. I will send you a PM as you may find the document I have interesting, I just cannot find a lawyer (or retiree) that has used the ruling though and am not keen on attempting it without some further first hand information.

Last edited by June W; Jun 23rd 2020 at 1:33 pm.