Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

uk to spain - cost of tolls

uk to spain - cost of tolls

Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk to spain - cost of tolls

Thinking of driving from uk to alicante and google maps shows a number of routes but the best ones use a number of toll roads. My problem is that i have no idea what the likely cost of using these roads would be so cant compare with, say, getting the ferry to santander instead. Has anyone recently driven from uk at spain and used the tolls? if so, what was the rough costs of the tolls? Many thanks for any replies
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk to spain - cost of tolls

Don't know the costs Mike,but there are plenty of routes you can take that stay away from tolls and they are far more interesting.Unless your in a rush.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

missbusybusy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...lls_select.jsp

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...?country=Spain
or
http://www.rac.co.uk/route-planner/
or
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/home/
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

what route you going Ive done all 3 lately, I would reccomend St Malo route

I think I paid about £30 in tolls I can find the exact amount tomorrow for you and post it, as I carded them, some of the way I could have avoided tolls in some places, but one I was in a rush and I did not care about the toll, and for some towards Zaragoza - I was so tired I thought it was safer on the motorway, you only got to veer off on a Carretera and lorry can hit you head on

Its a lovely drive as well, I got from St malo to Zaragoza in about 10 hours with a few stops on the way !

Ill post when i get back or tomo as I got to shoot out for a bit, running late !

andy
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by andyrich666
what route you going Ive done all 3 lately, I would reccomend St Malo route

I think I paid about £30 in tolls I can find the exact amount tomorrow for you and post it, as I carded them, some of the way I could have avoided tolls in some places, but one I was in a rush and I did not care about the toll, and for some towards Zaragoza - I was so tired I thought it was safer on the motorway, you only got to veer off on a Carretera and lorry can hit you head on

Its a lovely drive as well, I got from St malo to Zaragoza in about 10 hours with a few stops on the way !

Ill post when i get back or tomo as I got to shoot out for a bit, running late !

andy
Many thanks Andyrich666, just what i am looking for
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan your route using viamichelin.co.uk it will give total toll cost as well as time and distance

Note - a simple search showed a route from Calais to Alicante with a total of 87.46 gbp in tolls, but this was favouring motorways and via Paris, which I would not recommend.

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 19th 2014 at 12:16 am.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a few years since we drove down from the tunnel, but back then we racked up about 130€ in tolls just in France, in Spain it got better.

If yo are just driving down from the the ports Bilbao or Santander we did it October and paid 20€ from there down to Crevillente area. We do it again next week so it can't be bad!

The most expensive place for tolls we found in Spain were around Barcelona (if you are planning the long drive through France) It may have been our route but we fell onto 4 toll roads that time and paid more in a couple of miles then we did for the whole of the Journey from the border to journey end.

When it comes to tolls there is nothing like local knowledge, in October we were following a truck until it turned off the motorway, 1/2 k further on were the toll booths. We used a card to get through but the machine was playing up so had to wait till the attendant walked across. We got through and set off again, just up the road was that same truck re-entering the motorway from a sliproad!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

In Total 55€, so a little more than I thought - This one was from St.Malo.

I would always got his route as it a cheap crossing, sometimes it docks at 8am but I was earlier at 6am, you get on at 8pm but you start a fresh the next day, I got so much further down in much less time that Dover to Calais, + you don't notice being on the boat, You can a nice evening and then bed and up and off. I also used a lot less fuel than Dover>Calais

18/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 AUTOROUTE DU SUD-VEDENE CEDEX 18/12/2013 -3,30 345,13

18/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 AUTOROUTE DU SUD-VEDENE CEDEX 18/12/2013 -1,70 348,43

18/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 MarcillaT S/AP15 NAVARRA-PAMPLONA 18/12/2013 -5,50 350,13

17/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 ATLANDES AUTOROU-PESSAC 17/12/2013 -3,50 355,63

17/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 ATLANDES AUTOROU-PESSAC 17/12/2013 -3,50 359,13

17/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 13.12 AUT. VASCO ARAGONESA AP68-ALAGON 16/12/2013 -9,20 362,63

13/12/2013 COMPRA TARJ. 5402XXXXXXXX0019 AUTOROUTE DU SUD-VEDENE CEDEX 16/12/2013 -28,30 8,21
Old Jan 19th 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks Andyrich666. I agree - just been looking at portsmouth to caen as well. Cheaper ferry than Dover Calais and less petrol used. Cheers
Old Jan 19th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikeglover
Many thanks Andyrich666. I agree - just been looking at portsmouth to caen as well. Cheaper ferry than Dover Calais and less petrol used. Cheers
Your welcome, enjoy the trip, Zaragoza is a nice city to stay in but if there is 2 of you I reckon you could knock it out all the way to Alicante in one go.