Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk Resident/Valid passport

Uk Resident/Valid passport

Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Spanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to behold
Default Uk Resident/Valid passport

Can someone please settle a row in the office : If you are from the UK and resident in Spain does it matter if your UK passport is out of date? (this is regardless of wether you wish to travel or not)....thanks.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Resident/Valid passport

Originally Posted by Spanish John
Can someone please settle a row in the office : If you are from the UK and resident in Spain does it matter if your UK passport is out of date? (this is regardless of wether you wish to travel or not)....thanks.

Its a legal requirment to have current ID on your person at all times so if its all you have then you could get in trouble,I dont think the police will accept a picture driving license as a sole source of ID.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Spanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to beholdSpanish John is a splendid one to behold

We are aware of the ID issue,the argument centres on the passport question....thanks
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:33 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Logic tells me that it should matter, something that has expired is dead, surely?

Also, I have one of those visitors passports from some time ago, all the details, including my photo, are correct, but I was forty years younger and look it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I received this from the UK embassy when I asked the very same question recently.

Under Article 4 of Organic Law 4/2000, foreign nationals in Spain have the right and the obligation to carry documents that establish their identity, issued, in this case, by the competent UK authorities; similarly, the above right and obligation apply to the documents that establish their administrative situation in Spain.

In the case of British citizens, the relevant identity document is considered to be a valid and current passport. (If the passport has expired, the holder should carry a copy of this document and the relevant renewal application form).

I think that answers the question.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanish John
You are under no legal obligation to have or renew your UK passport if resident in Spain....BUT as has been said you are legally obliged to have ID here.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as I said, according to the UK Embassy, you have to have a valid passport.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:29 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I received this from the UK embassy when I asked the very same question recently.

Under Article 4 of Organic Law 4/2000, foreign nationals in Spain have the right and the obligation to carry documents that establish their identity, issued, in this case, by the competent UK authorities; similarly, the above right and obligation apply to the documents that establish their administrative situation in Spain.

In the case of British citizens, the relevant identity document is considered to be a valid and current passport. (If the passport has expired, the holder should carry a copy of this document and the relevant renewal application form).

I think that answers the question.
NO Fred, it certainly doesn't!

All that says is that;

1) You must carry valid ID

2) That ID can be a passport

One is under no requirement to have a valid passport! If this were so then surely babies would have to have a passport BY LAW at birth.

Interestingly, does ones ID some how expire overnight once the passport expires?

Do I suddenly become a 'non person' just because the date changes. Surely proof of ID is just that rather than having to be a passport which is in date.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snikpoh
NO Fred, it certainly doesn't!

All that says is that;

1) You must carry valid ID

2) That ID can be a passport

One is under no requirement to have a valid passport! If this were so then surely babies would have to have a passport BY LAW at birth.

Interestingly, does ones ID some how expire overnight once the passport expires?

Do I suddenly become a 'non person' just because the date changes. Surely proof of ID is just that rather than having to be a passport which is in date.
But if your ID isn't a passport.....then what is it? As far as I am aware, the only FORMAL ID that a British person has is a passport.

(we already know that driving licences, etc don't count.)
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Veleta
As far as I am aware, the only FORMAL ID that a British person has is a passport.

That is the whole point of the statement made by the embassy.

They clearly say that the RELEVANT document to satisfy the law that requires you to have ID, is a valid passport.

I went to the trouble of asking that exact question of the Embassy and that's the answer I got. Others may interpret their reply how they like - that's up to them - I am certainly not interested in arguing the point.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
But if your ID isn't a passport.....then what is it? As far as I am aware, the only FORMAL ID that a British person has is a passport.

(we already know that driving licences, etc don't count.)
Some of us still have valid NIE cards.

Anyone had issues with traffico when showing the new bit of paper ?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Uk Resident/Valid passport

They clearly say that the RELEVANT document to satisfy the law that requires you to have ID, is a valid passport.

I went to the trouble of asking that exact question of the Embassy and that's the answer I got. Others may interpret their reply how they like - that's up to them - I am certainly not interested in arguing the point.
What about the new UK ID card which a few people have now managed to get and we are going for in April? I assume that when you asked your question no such thing existed. The agency in UK say it is valid for ID and travel purposes across the EU.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rotor
Some of us still have valid NIE cards.

Anyone had issues with traffico when showing the new bit of paper ?
Fair enough. But when that expires (which I guess must be quite soon) then I am only aware of a passport as being valid ID.

I vaguely remember a thread about the new ID card in the UK.....but I thought it was decided that you could only get it if you were a resident in the UK???

Regarding the new piece of paper, I've had problems with it just about everywhere I have tried to produce it. Nobody recognises it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

See this link http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/ExPatIDs/
There is a petition on No.10 website asking that ex-pats should have the right to be issued with ID cards. (I believe they will only issue them to persons living in UK.) Seems like the answer to me. Then you only need a passport if you intend to travel.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone wants an argument but it is your interpretation of the Embassy statement that is confusing things.
There is no law which states a UK national needs to hold a valid UK passport, unless they want to travel, which the OP stated they didn't.
YES the Spanish law requires you have to have ID but as the OP said they were resident then they must already have Spanish ID.

Veleta,
I have never heard of the new A4 resedencia not being accepted as ID

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.