UK QUALIFICATIONS

Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

andrea_d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK QUALIFICATIONS

Lol @ Hillbilly's post, great minds think alike
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea_d
I still have 2 more years left at uni, so we are not planning on moving in the very near future
You should have named your post.....how to pacify unhappy husband
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the thread may have run its course but this is as rough and ready version of how I understand it after my partner has done a lot of work to see if she could get her degree and teaching qualifications recognised.

The new Bologna standard qualifications should be OK.

Recent UK qualifications, degrees for instance, have a list of units, modules, competences and the like. Those have to be translated into Spanish and then submitted to the Education ministry in Madrid. The process of checking takes about a year. That done the degree holder is told what shortfalls there are in the degree to reach Spanish standards and the gaps have to be plugged with extra units, modules and competences. Then you resubmit and see how it goes.

Old UK qualifications, like my 30 year old degree are useless as nobody can remember what they were about so there is nowhere to start the process.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 8:17 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
I think the thread may have run its course but this is as rough and ready version of how I understand it after my partner has done a lot of work to see if she could get her degree and teaching qualifications recognised.

The new Bologna standard qualifications should be OK.

Recent UK qualifications, degrees for instance, have a list of units, modules, competences and the like. Those have to be translated into Spanish and then submitted to the Education ministry in Madrid. The process of checking takes about a year. That done the degree holder is told what shortfalls there are in the degree to reach Spanish standards and the gaps have to be plugged with extra units, modules and competences. Then you resubmit and see how it goes.

Old UK qualifications, like my 30 year old degree are useless as nobody can remember what they were about so there is nowhere to start the process.

I am just curious to know, if then the "oposistions" have to be taken, to get a job in a state school in Italy.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that the "oposiciones" are similar to the "competences" with which each country signed up to the Bologna Process agrees? A similar scrutiny of credentials applies to nursing, medicine, dentistry... as well as teaching.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:14 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
I'm guessing that the "oposiciones" are similar to the "competences" with which each country signed up to the Bologna Process agrees? A similar scrutiny of credentials applies to nursing, medicine, dentistry... as well as teaching.
No, it is an exam that has to passed by all candidates wishing to work for the state, being rubbish collection, police, hospital cleaners, admin posts,teachers or whaterver.

The number of vacancies for each category are posted, then the candiates sit an exam after paying the entrance fee. Somtimes there are 1000s after a few dozen jobs.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

So it is open to any EU citizen to sit these oposiciones, assuming everything else is in order?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:32 am
Banned

So it is open to any EU citizen to sit these oposiciones, assuming everything else is in order?
I dont know the answer, but I dont see why not.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:00 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I thought only Spanish citizens were allowed, hence why you never see any English policemen etc here.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

I think anyone can do the oposiciones who has right of residence/right to work but the language barrier does for most Britons. I do know British teachers who have passed oposiciones and work in State Schools.

I live in Valencia and one little extra problem is that parts of the exam test skills in Valenciano so even Castellano speakers might not be able to pass.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

It is confusing, and I am no expert on the subject. Had a quick read of this to understand the Spanish degree system, although no mention of oposiciones:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclope...-process#Spain
It appears this "process" is a work in progress.
Higher education qualifications are divided into different categories (here in Scotland) with some "professions" being "more professional" than others. So-called "non-professional" occupations require certificates for quality assurances: eg. COSHH.
I guess the point of all this is that people would have any qualifications recognized under one umbrella. However, many students, but less workers...
I did hear that these select jobs in Spain (ie. those successful in their oposiciones) are rewarded with good salaries. The question nowadays is whether these are jobs "for life", or is that concept now obsolete (keeping in mind the EU's open borders policy)? Perhaps this is one way of "cherry picking" the best in the job market?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:10 pm
Banned

It is confusing, and I am no expert on the subject. Had a quick read of this to understand the Spanish degree system, although no mention of oposiciones:
http://www.statemaster.com/encyclope...-process#Spain
It appears this "process" is a work in progress.
Higher education qualifications are divided into different categories (here in Scotland) with some "professions" being "more professional" than others. So-called "non-professional" occupations require certificates for quality assurances: eg. COSHH.
I guess the point of all this is that people would have any qualifications recognized under one umbrella. However, many students, but less workers...
I did hear that these select jobs in Spain (ie. those successful in their oposiciones) are rewarded with good salaries. The question nowadays is whether these are jobs "for life", or is that concept now obsolete (keeping in mind the EU's open borders policy)? Perhaps this is one way of "cherry picking" the best in the job market?
I see it more of a way of making money, if each candidate pays to study in an academy for each profession, (you need to have the exam curriculum) and they pay about 30-60 euros (guessing) to sit the exam, and it is repeated year after year for loads of catergories, it seem quite a money spinner to me.

And as for cherry picking the best for the job, who would be the best for a street cleaner, the one who does well in the exam on the better at weilding a big broom?

That is my take on the system.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I thought only Spanish citizens were allowed, hence why you never see any English policemen etc here.

theres an english kid on "the other forum" thats been here ten years, or will of been at the time of application, he´s just starting to look into applying to be in the guardia civil.

apparently their stipulations is that you must be resident, of been here at least ten years, you cant work in your own town, etc etc. his neibour is a GC and is telling him all the info, so i guess it can be done, just nobody has thought of doing it.

personally, i think its a good idea, in one way, because of the language barrier, but bad, because an english GC or PL might "take it easy" on fellow brits?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
No, it is an exam that has to passed by all candidates wishing to work for the state, being rubbish collection, police, hospital cleaners, admin posts,teachers or whaterver.
any idea where to find info on these positions, where the vacancy is, what are the qualifications etc?

ps, rubbish collection in alhaurin is undertaken by a private company i think, ive already applied to them a couple of years back and nothing came of it, not even a "sorry but no" call or letter.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
any idea where to find info on these positions, where the vacancy is, what are the qualifications etc?

ps, rubbish collection in alhaurin is undertaken by a private company i think, ive already applied to them a couple of years back and nothing came of it, not even a "sorry but no" call or letter.
Here is a link to a site, which would give you a lot of information about opositions, hope it helps

Cheers

If you look under "convocatorias" you will see the number of places for each region. If you pass the opositions for a certain region, you will only be able to work in that region, it does not give you the freedom to move around the country, even if you do have a "pass" under your belt.

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 18th 2010 at 7:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.