Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Pensions Taxable in UK or Spain?

UK Pensions Taxable in UK or Spain?

Old Nov 19th 2010, 3:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pensions Taxable in UK or Spain?/Tax on Shares

I don't see how the method of acquisition is relevant - it is the capital gain that is taxed.

It all comes down to residency at the time of the gain.

If you are tax resident in Spain you will pay the CGT in Spain. There is no possibility of being assessed for CGT in the UK as well, as the double taxation treaty clearly gives the right to taxation to the country of residence (except for property gains).

Capital gains are declared on your annual tax return under savings and are taxed at the lower rate of 19% on the first €6000 and 21% thereafter.

There are no specific allowances apart from the normal personal tax allowances. The gain is adjusted for inflation on the normal discounted tables.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

mdavidfrost is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Pensions Taxable in UK or Spain?

Thanks, everyone.

There's just one last point that I'd like to clarify.

When I say "government pension" or "state pension" I mean the normal retirement pension of just under £100 per week for the current year. I've never worked for the government. Are we all talking about the same thing?

Is it necessary for a resident of Spain to declare this UK retirement pension and is it included in a person's total income when calculating tax payable?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdavidfrost
Thanks, everyone.

There's just one last point that I'd like to clarify.

When I say "government pension" or "state pension" I mean the normal retirement pension of just under £100 per week for the current year. I've never worked for the government. Are we all talking about the same thing?

Is it necessary for a resident of Spain to declare this UK retirement pension and is it included in a person's total income when calculating tax payable?
A government pension in this context is one paid to ex-government employees such as the civil service, armed forces, teachers etc. This is taxed in the UK irrespective of residency under the terms of the double taxation treaty between the UK and Spain.

The UK state pension is treated as normal income and is taxed in Spain like any other income. Just because it is paid free of tax in the UK does not mean it is not subject to tax, either in the UK or in Spain.

Last edited by Fred James; Nov 20th 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all, first post on this forum.
I'm Steve aged 55 and currently in receipt of government (firefighter) pension. My wife Jill aged 61 is also in receipt of a government pension and has taken her state pension.
Am I correct in thinking from the above posts that when we move to Spain next year both my and Jill's occupational pensions will be taxed in the UK with us having a personal tax allowance each, currently £6470pa and that we will both have a Spanish tax allowance, currently €5151pa as well. I didn't realise we could get a tax allowance in both countries.
If so as I am not eligible to receive my state pension for another 11 years can we file a joint self assesment in Spain and use both our Spanish tax allowances against Jill's state pension and the income we will receive from letting our UK property plus our savings income?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Pensions Taxable in UK or Spain?

Originally Posted by stevesainty
Hello all, first post on this forum.
I'm Steve aged 55 and currently in receipt of government (firefighter) pension. My wife Jill aged 61 is also in receipt of a government pension and has taken her state pension.
Am I correct in thinking from the above posts that when we move to Spain next year both my and Jill's occupational pensions will be taxed in the UK with us having a personal tax allowance each, currently £6470pa and that we will both have a Spanish tax allowance, currently €5151pa as well. I didn't realise we could get a tax allowance in both countries.
If so as I am not eligible to receive my state pension for another 11 years can we file a joint self assesment in Spain and use both our Spanish tax allowances against Jill's state pension and the income we will receive from letting our UK property plus our savings income?
Yes your occupational government pensions are taxed in UK and you will each get the single persons tax allowance to set against this income for UK tax purposes.

When you have made the necessary applications to the HMRC to transfer you State pension(s) to Spain they can be paid into your Spanish Bank account tax free in UK but then consttute income in Spain. You can set the Spanish allowance against this income. You declare the income you set the rate of exchange and your wifes State pension pension would for the time being be your only income to be declared in Spain in addition you will have to declare you rental income from UK but this can be taken untaxed in UK if you have filled in the correct form.

The Hacienda can run their programme both as a single person or as a married couple on this income and they should tell you the most advantageous outcome and that is the one to choose.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 9th 2011 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John & Kath
Is Hacienda the Spanish equivalent of HMRC?
We had planned to have Jill's state pension and both our occupational pensions paid into a UK bank account and then make one monthly transfer into our Spanish bank account after negotiating an exchange rate for 6 or 12 months ahead with a currency exchange house.
If we aren't allowed to do this or it isn't the most cost effective way any advice would be most welcome.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks John & Kath
Is Hacienda the Spanish equivalent of HMRC?
We had planned to have Jill's state pension and both our occupational pensions paid into a UK bank account and then make one monthly transfer into our Spanish bank account after negotiating an exchange rate for 6 or 12 months ahead with a currency exchange house.
If we aren't allowed to do this or it isn't the most cost effective way any advice would be most welcome.
Yes the Hacienda is the traditional name for the State tax office.

The best exchange rate bar non is that which the government gives for state pension transfers. These are paid 4 weekly or 13 weekly. You can then arrange the best deal you can for the other with an FX broker.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

legal_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdavidfrost
Although I am normally resident in Spain, at present I am living in the USA, as my wife is working for the Spanish Consulate in Miami.

Because I own a property in Málaga (in my name only) I am filing tax returns in Spain as a non-resident and paying Hacienda a very small amount of tax on the property (less than €250 per year), which I think is 24% of 1% of the valor catastral.

My UK pensions (government and private) are being assessed for tax by the Revenue. However, the total of all my pensions is below the tax-free allowance of £9,490 for someone over 65, and therefore I pay no tax. These pensions are paid into the Isle of Man branch of a UK bank, as I have been unable to open a UK account because I am not resident there.

When I return to Spain, will I be liable for tax on my pensions in the UK or in Spain? I would prefer to be taxed in the UK, as I understand that tax-free allowances are lower in Spain.
If you are not paying tax in Spain (i.e because you are non-resident there) the HMRC will argue that you are due tax to them as your pension income is still a chargeable event and I gather your domicility is still in the UK?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
You are deemed tax resident in Spain if you spend more than 183 days there in one calendar year, not necessarily consecutively.

If you meet this criteria you will have to declare all your income, except for the UK Government pension, in Spain and potentially pay tax on it in Spain.

As Mitzy has said, the UK Government pension is completely disregarded as far as Spanish tax is concerned.

You get a personal allowance of €5151 plus an additional allowance of between €4080 and €2652 depending on your income.

If you are over 65 you get an additional allowance of €918. Over 75 you can add another €1122

If your wife has only a small income it may be advisable to make a joint declaration as she will also get an allowance.

If your other personal pensions are based on a money purchase annuity then you will also get considerable allowances against them.

As a resident, interest on Spanish bank accounts will be taxed at source but if your income is below the threshold then the deductions may be rebated.
Can someone explain these additional allowances please? I was only aware of the basic €5151 plus the age allowances.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:17 am

Can someone explain these additional allowances please? I was only aware of the basic €5151 plus the age allowances.
It is a deduction which everyone gets from their earned income.

In this context, earned income includes pension income. It is on a sliding scale. If your income is less than €9180 you get €4080 and if your income is above €13260 you get €2652. Between those to incomes it is calculated on a sliding scale.

On your tax declaration is appears as "Reducción por obtención de rendimientos del trabajo" in box 017
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Fred.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:29 am
Just Joined

legal_eagle is an unknown quantity at this point

The best way to plan a move to Spain/sort out your tax, legal and financial issues is to work with a UK company in Spain who can give you international, cross-border advice. This works out as a cost-effective way to ensure your affairs have been dealt with PROFESSIONALLY.

In addition, there are also cost effective ways of structuring your affairs before becoming a tax resident in Spain. Using Gibraltar is one such example.

Old Jan 21st 2011, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is a deduction which everyone gets from their earned income.

In this context, earned income includes pension income. It is on a sliding scale. If your income is less than €9180 you get €4080 and if your income is above €13260 you get €2652. Between those to incomes it is calculated on a sliding scale.

On your tax declaration is appears as "Reducción por obtención de rendimientos del trabajo" in box 017
FRED sorry I was looking on the wrong thread for this post!

Can you expand on how this fits in with a married couple both drawing state pensions of about €6000 each transferred to Spain untaxed in UK.

Do you get 2x €4080 or is it just one per couple which in our case would we get the single person enhanced for 65+ then one €4085? This would have to be reduced if added together the joint pensions come to €12,000.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath
FRED sorry I was looking on the wrong thread for this post!

Can you expand on how this fits in with a married couple both drawing state pensions of about €6000 each transferred to Spain untaxed in UK.

Do you get 2x €4080 or is it just one per couple which in our case would we get the single person enhanced for 65+ then one €4085? This would have to be reduced if added together the joint pensions come to €12,000.
The allowance is one per declaration - ie if you declare jointly you get the one allowance. If you declare separately you both get it.

Also, if you declare jointly you do not get two personal allowances, just one of 5151 plus a family allowance of 3400. You do get both age allowances of 918. If your only income is two €6000 pensions you would not pay any tax whichever way you declare as the total allowances for a 65+ couple, declaring jointly, are about €13000.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:21 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred, that is very useful infomation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.