Uk Pensions

Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

walkthetalk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Pensions

Hi, I am new to the forums here but I have a vested interest somewhat in Spain and I am curious about some things also. So please indulge me.

Let me give you a bit of background about me first:

I have worked for YBS (Branch Manager) and moved over to Abbey/Santander (Branch Manager and Financial Adviser) since I left uni with a law degree - which I know makes finance the obvious choice. I now work for an international IFA (a good one, and reputable which I am sure most expats will know is rare).

My brother moved to Spain a few years ago with his wife and 2 gorgeous little girls to be closer to his wife's mother and step father who retired near Barcelona. So I regularly visit them when I can but, since I moved to Moscow (don't even ask! ) visits are more difficult. Since he has no intention of ever returning to the UK to live and runs his company from home, he has a long term future set out for him and his children are mutilingual and enjoy the lifestyle.

Now that is a brief outlay of me and my connection to Spain, because of what I do, and what I have read so far in the forums - I am curious:

Since the financial issues in Spain and all the negativity that seems to be flowing regarding pensions, I am curious as to:

1. How many of you actually undertook a private pension against just relying on the UK government?

2. How many of you still residing in Spain still use the UK pension schemes instead of transferring them into something else more beneficial and suited to European life?

To me, it seems very strange that so many people will sell up a property and all to move to Spain but, retain such a vital tie to a country you want nothing more to do with other than family.

I appreciate your time on this and any replies you may have.

Rory
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Pensions

Originally Posted by walkthetalk
Hi, I am new to the forums here but I have a vested interest somewhat in Spain and I am curious about some things also. So please indulge me.

Let me give you a bit of background about me first:

I have worked for YBS (Branch Manager) and moved over to Abbey/Santander (Branch Manager and Financial Adviser) since I left uni with a law degree - which I know makes finance the obvious choice. I now work for an international IFA (a good one, and reputable which I am sure most expats will know is rare).

My brother moved to Spain a few years ago with his wife and 2 gorgeous little girls to be closer to his wife's mother and step father who retired near Barcelona. So I regularly visit them when I can but, since I moved to Moscow (don't even ask! ) visits are more difficult. Since he has no intention of ever returning to the UK to live and runs his company from home, he has a long term future set out for him and his children are mutilingual and enjoy the lifestyle.

Now that is a brief outlay of me and my connection to Spain, because of what I do, and what I have read so far in the forums - I am curious:

Since the financial issues in Spain and all the negativity that seems to be flowing regarding pensions, I am curious as to:

1. How many of you actually undertook a private pension against just relying on the UK government?

2. How many of you still residing in Spain still use the UK pension schemes instead of transferring them into something else more beneficial and suited to European life?

To me, it seems very strange that so many people will sell up a property and all to move to Spain but, retain such a vital tie to a country you want nothing more to do with other than family.

I appreciate your time on this and any replies you may have.

Rory
Why do I feel a bit suspicious about this post?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Why do I feel a bit suspicious about this post?
Cos it sounds like a business survey ?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:06 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a warm-up to spam.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's a warm-up to spam.
Actually I liked warm spam, but only when it was in an omelette
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

and eggs.................
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:37 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I've have contacted OP and he has confirmed that he isn't trying to advertise/spam etc, nor is his post a precursor for advertising anything. He is genuinely trying to figure out if he can run his business from Spain.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

thank you Sue.

ps. Hello everyone.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 3:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rory.

To answer your questions.

I worked for a company that had a company final salary scheme and I also contributed AVCs. When I left I took a pension pot with me which I contributed into until I retired. I took the pension at 50 so the State pension was not a consideration (until recently).

That was not an issue as I took the full benefits before I left the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Hi Rory.

To answer your questions.

I worked for a company that had a company final salary scheme and I also contributed AVCs. When I left I took a pension pot with me which I contributed into until I retired. I took the pension at 50 so the State pension was not a consideration (until recently).

That was not an issue as I took the full benefits before I left the UK.
Congrats on the first sensible answer! It's nice to nice!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I've have contacted OP and he has confirmed that he isn't trying to advertise/spam etc, nor is his post a precursor for advertising anything. He is genuinely trying to figure out if he can run his business from Spain.
Where's a conceirge when you need one
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If he is trying to work out if he can sell pensions in Spain the market is flooded with pension and financial advisors.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 5:59 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I retired to Spain aged 56; at that time I wouldn´t have touch ANY financial advisor with a barge pole - The English Financial system gives too many safeguards. However I was advised by Blevins Franks about certain aspects; indeed I do not own my house, my children do. Therefore with luck, I will die a pauper!

My private (Local Government) pensions have now cut in with the associated AVC´s (loads) and I will collect the Government OAP in September

Hope this helps, feel fre to pm me

Dave
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Ok - well my instant reaction to everyone complaining was that noone had actually done anything! I stand corrected.... in the corner of the room.

I totally agree with the comment about UK Regs. One of the myriad reasons I left in the first place. But, on the flip side - there is little to no Regulation in most of the world. It is a shameful fact that puts my heckles up here.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

and thank you for the serious honest replies. I hope that your pension schemes keep you in vino and olives for as long as you need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.