Reload this Page >

UK Leaving the EU

UK Leaving the EU

Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

benican is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Leaving the EU

Hi
I'm new to this site, so please be patient with me. As an ex-pat living full time in Spain, the possibility of a UK referendum voting for the UK to leave the EU is of great concern to my wife and I, as I'm sure it is to many in our position.
If this were to happen, would our state pensions be frozen, as they are for ex-pats in non EU countries and more importantly, what would happen to our health care, currently paid to Spain by the UK?
There's obviously a lot of "ifs" about this, "if" the Tories get back in, "if" a referendum calls for the UK to leave, etc, etc, however, it is still a cause of some concern.
Does any body have any information or informed opinion about this possibility?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Leaving the EU

I saw the headline, UK Leaving the EU, I thought you had some great news for us!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Leaving the EU

Originally Posted by benican
Hi
I'm new to this site, so please be patient with me. As an ex-pat living full time in Spain, the possibility of a UK referendum voting for the UK to leave the EU is of great concern to my wife and I, as I'm sure it is to many in our position.
If this were to happen, would our state pensions be frozen, as they are for ex-pats in non EU countries and more importantly, what would happen to our health care, currently paid to Spain by the UK?
There's obviously a lot of "ifs" about this, "if" the Tories get back in, "if" a referendum calls for the UK to leave, etc, etc, however, it is still a cause of some concern.
It is your duty and obligation to make sure that "if" does not happen. Are you registered to vote in Spain in local and EU ELECTIONS and with your last hometown in UK FOR THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION.

No your pension will not be frozen and you should be able to get healthcare but the rules and cost might change.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benican
Hi
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reason to think that pensions would be frozen as that only happens in a few countries that do not have reciprocal agreements with the UK.

If the UK decided to leave the EU it would almost certainly remain a member of the EEA or negotiate special terms just as Switzerland did.

I can't say it worries me at all.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I can't say it worries me at all.
I have said before and will repeat I will vote to get out.

I do not whish to be a member of a club that allows one member to treat another in the way Spain treats Gibraltar
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:11 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

A great many pensioners lived in Spain happily long before they joined. Scaremongering again.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
A great many pensioners lived in Spain happily long before they joined. Scaremongering again.
Yeah, the 2% that could afford it in those days.

Don't worry, the UK won't leave the EU. It's mainly old pharts (like me) who get het up by the subject. Youngsters know there are far more important issues, and besides they want to retain the right to study in Barcelona or party in berlin.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:25 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Agree 200% with Steve the UK will not leave the EU so stop worrying.
It has far too much to lose.
There will be token changes to satisfy the right of the Tory party .
DC will only go for a vote if changes cannot be agreed because that is his mandate however agreement will be reached so NO VOTE.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

I think Britain should leave the EU.
Until a few years ago, I was on balance, a supporter of the experiment - just.

But I think it is becoming more undemocratic, incompetent and wasteful.

What really worries me is that it will do anything in an attempt to protect its all controlling existence, at the expense of the people it is meant to serve. The banking crisis exposed a more sinister side of what people thought was a warm and cuddly club.

Thank goodness Britain stayed out of the Euro.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:44 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Agree 200% with Steve the UK will not leave the EU so stop worrying.
It has far too much to lose.
There will be token changes to satisfy the right of the Tory party .
DC will only go for a vote if changes cannot be agreed because that is his mandate however agreement will be reached so NO VOTE.
Major changes are needed in the whole shambolic mess that is the present day EU, much as Osbourne mentioned yesterday.

That is not just the opinion of the Tory right but of a substantial percentage of the UK population and also an ever increasing view in several other EU countries who are also seriously concerned by present negative trends.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:47 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

UK none membership of the EU is aimed at benefitting UK nationals who are UK domicile. However I would worry not, the best that a Eurosceptic like myself can hope to achieve is that concessions be made to our membership that returns to us the status quo that we stupidly thought was ratified in the vote of 1975.

We have the right of veto to tell Brussels to stick their European Court where the sun don't shine, and to decide who we pay benefits to and who we tell to stop taking the p***.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad

But I think it is becoming more undemocratic, incompetent and wasteful

Nail, head, hammer.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:52 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l93yjak...%3Dl93yjako2j8

UK is a major contributor couldn't manage without us...time to stamp the foot!

Last edited by jackytoo; Jan 16th 2014 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:56 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I think that we can all agreed that major changes in how the EU operates are necessary and that the UK and other nations will start the process.
But anyone leaving is not on the agenda.
As for Osborne , is he setting himself up to take on DC in a leadership challenge going for the votes on the right of the party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.