Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK credit card in Spain

UK credit card in Spain

Old Aug 29th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK credit card in Spain

When offered the choice of being charged in Sterling or Euro on your credit card, which is it best to go for?

I recall some time ago being told to have it charged in the currency in which it was issued ie sterling, but I can't remember why. Just how much of a difference would it make?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:02 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK credit card in Spain

If you request in sterling, the bank that owns the machine performs the exchange rate calculation.

If you ask for Euros, your card-issuing bank calculates it.

Best to check your bank's exchange rate policies. UK banks tend to be a bit more dear, although there are certain machines here that are not operated by banks who can give you a truly lousy rate of exchange.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Whilst it will depend on which credit card and which bank, my experience tells me that if you are buying items and you are offered the choice, it is better to take the local currency. Some traders forget to give you the option, and if so, they are breaking the credit card rules. Argue with them and insist, or refuse the purchase.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

As advised always choose the local currency otherwise there appears to be a double exchange i.e. £ back to €s back to £s

Also Norwich and Peterborough do not charge for foreign exchange transactions.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
As advised always choose the local currency otherwise there appears to be a double exchange i.e. £ back to €s back to £s

Also Norwich and Peterborough do not charge for foreign exchange transactions.
That's best although I use a Halifax Clarity or Nationwide credit card.
You can still get caught out though. I hired a car from Firefly and whilst the payment I signed for was in euros, when the statement arrived I had been charged in Sterling.
Another ploy by a car rental company to increase their margin.