Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Moving to Spain

UK Citizens Moving to Spain

Old Feb 4th 2012, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice
Default UK Citizens Moving to Spain

I have had a look in the Free Beer section but cannot find the information I require. My Girlfriend is a British citizen. I want to know what she will require to move to Spain. Does she need to apply for a Visa or something or can she just move right over?

Also do you need to register with the local police?

I got a feeling this has been asked before loads of times but I cannot seem to find it

Last edited by NickFX; Feb 4th 2012 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 7:37 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizens Moving to Spain

UK citizens do not need visa or report to police.
Do you both have UK passports?
Old Feb 4th 2012, 8:18 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NickFX
I have had a look in the Free Beer section but cannot find the information I require. My Girlfriend is a British citizen. I want to know what she will require to move to Spain. Does she need to apply for a Visa or something or can she just move right over?

Also do you need to register with the local police?

I got a feeling this has been asked before loads of times but I cannot seem to find it
She'll be ok with a british passport. If she decides to work here and become a resident then there will be lots of paperwork and no doubt many visits to the police station and townhall. Are you not moving with her?

(Nosey parker I am)

Last edited by Lushdaddy; Feb 4th 2012 at 8:18 pm. Reason: Nosey parking
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
She'll be ok with a british passport. If she decides to work here and become a resident then there will be lots of paperwork and no doubt many visits to the police station and townhall. Are you not moving with her?

(Nosey parker I am)
I am but I have a dual Aussie and Italian passport. I already asked my relatives in Italy and they said Italians can travel to a live freely in Spain. I assumed a British passport entitled my girlfriend to the same privileges as my Italian passport but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:43 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You ought to have mentioned that on the Italian forum they may have been a bit more helpful!
Old Feb 4th 2012, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You ought to have mentioned that on the Italian forum they may have been a bit more helpful!
Sorry, are you saying my family is wrong and Italians cannot live in Spain freely? Or are you just saying I would have been better off asking there.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:10 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry, are you saying my family is wrong and Italians cannot live in Spain freely? Or are you just saying I would have been better off asking there.
She doesn't know what she's on about half the time. (If you ignore her she might go away. ) If you want to know what you need to move to spain if you are british, you should inquire on a spanish section of a british expat site, not an Italian section. (Just like you did).
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
She doesn't know what she's on about half the time. (If you ignore her she might go away. ) If you want to know what you need to move to spain if you are british, you should inquire on a spanish section of a british expat site, not an Italian section. (Just like you did).
Hahah we are all confused now. My girlfriend is British but I am Aussie with an Italian passport (parents born in Italy). So I asked in the Italian forum for me. I did think it made little to no sense asking on the Italian section of a British expat site but figured she was a more experienced member..... lol

Last edited by NickFX; Feb 5th 2012 at 12:22 am.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hahah we are all confused now. My girlfriend is British but I am Aussie with an Italian passport (parents born in Italy). So I asked in the Italian forum for me. I did think it made little to no sense asking on the Italian section of a British expat site but figured she was a more experienced member..... lol
If you are an EU citizen, and by having passports it seems you are, then all you need to do is to just get a ticket and move, there are NO restrictions on EU citizens moving to and living in other parts of the EU. Your passports will suffice as evidence for the paperwork needed to register and become residents.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you are an EU citizen, and by having passports it seems you are, then all you need to do is to just get a ticket and move, there are NO restrictions on EU citizens moving to and living in other parts of the EU. Your passports will suffice as evidence for the paperwork needed to register and become residents.
This above, couldnt be put better.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:59 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I was refering to when you asked on the Italian forum for information about renting in italy. I just thought it would have been useful to have mentioned you were half-Italian, but you didn't
Old Feb 6th 2012, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Right..... anyway thanks to everyone for the input. This helped a lot!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:46 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thread tidy mode
Some posts deleted