Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Old May 12th 2006, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Graham2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Hi Monica

Can you please confirm something for me, you say after you have applied for your empadronmiento you have 30 days to import your car. I thought the rule was you have 6 months after you apply for your residencia to import your car. I believe empadronmiento and residencia are 2 different things ?? Or am I wrong can someone please confirm this.

Many Thanks
Old May 12th 2006, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zel,

Read this and other similar threads with great interest. We intend to "Snowbird" overwintering in Spain after driving down from UK and returning by car in late spring. For this I have decided to buy a second vehicle which must be LHD but will be registered and kept in UK.

Similar threads lead me to believe that the cheapest place in Europe to buy S/H vehicles is Belgium and I have found this website

http://www.auto-on-net.com/en?PHPSES...d00742db827dd9

where I have seen some good examples of what I would like to buy at what seem to be reasonable prices.

It should be easy to import the vehicle to UK and register it here (I have done it several times before with RHD from Holland).

If one had time before departure for Spain you could I suppose do it and re-export to register it in Spain and avoid their import duty.

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by zel
Actually you're probably making the same mistake as many do and comparing like for like when it comes to Europes RHD & LHD markets.

We've certainly found on the non luxury market things are completely opposite to the RHD market. For Example a 2004 RHD Kangoo MPV is substantialy cheaper than the cheapest LHD we've found on mainland Europe.

Infact the most expensive place to buy one was France even compared to Spain!

Also you have to factor in the transportation costs and UK registration (as everyone wants) it all mounts up young man!
Old May 12th 2006, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Hi Graham2005,

Epadronmiento is a local authority registration very like being on the Electoral Role in a UK local authority.

Residencia is a national registration which involves the tax service (Hacienda) and the Interior Ministry we don't have anything like it yet but come the National Identity Card we will be just the same.

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by Graham2005
Hi Monica

Can you please confirm something for me, you say after you have applied for your empadronmiento you have 30 days to import your car. I thought the rule was you have 6 months after you apply for your residencia to import your car. I believe empadronmiento and residencia are 2 different things ?? Or am I wrong can someone please confirm this.

Many Thanks
Old May 12th 2006, 9:10 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe from what I have been told you only have 30 days to complete the registration procedure for a car once you have started it. I had also been told that you had 6 months to start the procedure.

There seem to be a different story around every corner.

I WAS going to do all this myself, but as I will have a Japanese grey import car I think discretion is the better part of valour and I will employ a gestor!!
Old May 12th 2006, 9:23 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find that registering a LHD vehicle in the UK is more difficult than registering a RHD/MPH vehicle.

You have to get official certification from VOSA to say the car has been legally converted for use in the UK, you will need to do several modifications to the vehicle to gain this certification.

Depending on the vehicle this could cost anywhere from £250 to £3,000+ just for the modification work needed and a further £80 for the certificate, after you have this certificate it is then the same process as registering a RHD vehicle. (ie £38 first registration, C.O.C cost, VED cost, any applicable taxes)

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Zel,

Read this and other similar threads with great interest. We intend to "Snowbird" overwintering in Spain after driving down from UK and returning by car in late spring. For this I have decided to buy a second vehicle which must be LHD but will be registered and kept in UK.

Similar threads lead me to believe that the cheapest place in Europe to buy S/H vehicles is Belgium and I have found this website

http://www.auto-on-net.com/en?PHPSES...d00742db827dd9

where I have seen some good examples of what I would like to buy at what seem to be reasonable prices.

It should be easy to import the vehicle to UK and register it here (I have done it several times before with RHD from Holland).

If one had time before departure for Spain you could I suppose do it and re-export to register it in Spain and avoid their import duty.

Regards,

John.

Last edited by zel; May 12th 2006 at 9:26 am.
Old May 12th 2006, 9:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
You will find that registering a LHD vehicle in the UK is more difficult than registering a RHD/MPH vehicle.

You have to get official certification from VOSA to say the car has been legally converted for use in the UK, you will need to do several modifications to the vehicle to gain this certification.

Depending on the vehicle this could cost anywhere from £250 to £3,000+ just for the modification work needed and a further £80 for the certificate, after you have this certificate it is then the same process as registering a RHD vehicle. (ie £38 first registration, C.O.C cost, VED cost, any applicable taxes)

Hope this helps.
A useful mine of information as usual
Old May 12th 2006, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: UK Car in Spain...worth bring it over ?

Hi Zel,

Not a problem Nephew-in-Law has his own Garage business and is a brilliant mechanic. Biggest problem will be sourcing a set of second hand RHD headlights for a Fiat Doblo (yes I am weird but I long to own what must be the worlds ugliest car) and getting the stick-on mph transfer for the speedo if we can't just flick a switch, which works for some. I will take care of the paperwork.

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by zel

Hope this helps.
Old May 12th 2006, 10:00 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Zel,
for a Fiat Doblo (yes I am weird but I long to own what must be the worlds ugliest car)
Hehe don't need to convert me I love the Doblo's too but saying that I did used to drive around in a Fiat Multipla (the "ugly" one) as I thought it was pretty

BTW, you might want to get a move on with doing it as there is talk of VOSA demanding the speedo outputs the odometre in Miles now aswell as the speedo output. So if diagnostics changeover doesn't work (and it doesn't on Fiat group cars as far as we've expeirenced) a brand new MPH cluster would need to be fitted :scared:

So get a move on

Oh and btw, we're not alone on our weird car liking I had just got back from Germany with a Renault Kangoo for a client, stopped by home to have a quick shower before I took it to our shortage facility when one of my neighbours stopped me asking me if we can source him a Doblo for his place in Spain! ugly cars are the future

Last edited by zel; May 12th 2006 at 10:10 am.
Old May 12th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I believe from what I have been told you only have 30 days to complete the registration procedure for a car once you have started it. I had also been told that you had 6 months to start the procedure.

i thought it was 30 days to complete once started, you have to own the car for 6 months before starting, you can legally drive in spain on tourist plates for up to 6 months (as long as the vehicle is legal in its country of matriculation), and i think 6 months after you apply for residencia is the "tax free" period, after which you have to pay a tax based on the cars age and the valuation given to it on "that" pdf document... ??
Old May 12th 2006, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Hi !

What I am worried about is I have just applied for my empadronmiento but i don´t want to legally import my car to Spain until maybe next April as it is legal until then. I will apply also apply for my residencia then and import the car tax free, is this correct will I be able to do this?

Thanks
Old May 12th 2006, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
i thought it was 30 days to complete once started, you have to own the car for 6 months before starting, you can legally drive in spain on tourist plates for up to 6 months (as long as the vehicle is legal in its country of matriculation), and i think 6 months after you apply for residencia is the "tax free" period, after which you have to pay a tax based on the cars age and the valuation given to it on "that" pdf document... ??
Exactly my understanding. If you didn't complete within 30 days then you were liable for taxes. And exactly the reason I've decided to use a gestor to make sure I get it through in time.
Old May 12th 2006, 11:55 am
Just Joined

erkut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Monica

Many Thanks

Hi

You're right in saying that you have 6 months to import you car but unless you apply for the import within the 30 days from the day you legally become a resident you will be obliged to pay the higher tax rate (7-12%). If you want to avoid the unfair tax you will need to stick to the 30 day period.

Yes, empadronamiento and residencia are two different things. Residencia means you legally become a resident. Empadronamiento means you register at a specific council. The 30 day period starts counting from the day you become a resident which is when you get a NIE number. In our case it was slightly different because we got a NIE in 2005 to buy a property but only became residents in April 2006 so we proved we were within the 30 day period with the empadronamiento. If you don't have a NIE yet the 30 days will start counting from the day you are assigned one. Once you have one make sure you register with your council (empadronamiento) asap as you will also be required to show proof of empadronamiento to import your car.
Monica
Old May 12th 2006, 1:49 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Morning Guys,

Me again, should be over in Spain my the end of May...really excited now

Bit unsure whether to bring our family car over to Spain and get it re-registered.

It's a T reg Ford Focus....we're gunna loose about £2k (from by selling it....so can anyone with us some advice.

We were gunna sell, and buy a second hand left hand drive when we got to Spain, but have been reading cars in Spain aren't that cheap.....so is it worth us taking ours over ??

Also, we've got a little scooter 49cc,its only a year old, is it worth bringing that over ?

Thanks ever so much......you've all been so helpful.

Mich
If I could turn back the clock I would NOT bring my UK cars over (as I did) - nothing bad has happened but it's been the cause of lots of stress worrying about getting stopped, am I legal etc, and you hear so many differing stories it makes your head spin.

Buy in Spain - yes cars may cost a little more it's true but at least you are done and dusted and don't have to worry about the cost and hassle of figuring out how to import etc.

Mark
Old May 12th 2006, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Again !

I am really confused now !! I thought the NIE and residencia were 2 different things as well. My understanding is that you can have an NIE (which u need to buy a house etc.) but the residencia is for only when you live in Spain permanently.

Can anyone help...
Old May 12th 2006, 2:44 pm
Senior Moment

Hi Again !

I am really confused now !! I thought the NIE and residencia were 2 different things as well. My understanding is that you can have an NIE (which u need to buy a house etc.) but the residencia is for only when you live in Spain permanently.

Can anyone help...
Your NIE number is like a social security number which identifies you to all and sundry. You theoretically need one to open for instance a bank account (but I didn't), connect to electricity, phone or register your car. You can get an NIE if you are buying a house in Spain but are not a resident.

For tax purposes you automatically become a resident in Spain after you have been there in excess of 180 days. In truth if you have no intention of leaving Spain then you should register immediately. I know some people never register.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.